7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

buying help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunker is an unknown quantity at this point
buying help

Tomorrow Im going to buy one ofwas two civics. A 99 lx 2 dr with 89k miles and an 01 Ex with 122k miles. Both 5 spd. Owner cars. Any suggestions as to which? Both $4000, both have great maintenance records including timing belt change. Any help to narrow it down would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: buying help

Why not take both for a test drive? I personally prefer the older style Civics. I don't know your preferences. Some like the newer interior, options, etc. I think driving both will help you make a better decision so you won't regret it down the line.
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MelJ
Why not take both for a test drive? I personally prefer the older style Civics. I don't know your preferences. Some like the newer interior, options, etc. I think driving both will help you make a better decision so you won't regret it down the line.
I do prefer the look of the 6th gen better. I guess I was more wondering if there were any known issues with either gen that would prompt me to choose one over the other.
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clunker
Tomorrow Im going to buy one ofwas two civics. A 99 lx 2 dr with 89k miles and an 01 Ex with 122k miles. Both 5 spd. Owner cars. Any suggestions as to which? Both $4000, both have great maintenance records including timing belt change. Any help to narrow it down would be appreciated.
If you plan on trying to modify your civic, get the 99. The 01-05 were not made to be worked on without alot of money, and time. If you want a nicer daily driver, go with the 01. But Mel is right, try both out, and see what you like the best.
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by chozobody
If you plan on trying to modify your civic, get the 99. The 01-05 were not made to be worked on without alot of money, and time. If you want a nicer daily driver, go with the 01. But Mel is right, try both out, and see what you like the best.
I went with the 99. While externally there are a few scuffs that can be polished out. The inside was clean, it had brand new tires, and every single maintenance record in date order. For an 11 yr old car, it's in excellent condition. The 2001 had 32K more miles, as well was cared for nicely. No history of maintenance, and the 17 inch tires needed to be replaced at $150 a pop. So, the 99 was a no brainer to me. It also rode smoother. The 01 needed shocks/struts.

Was thinking about just getting a CAI, and calling it good. Looking forward to doubling my gas mileage, over my mini-van.

Name:  2011-07-30_18-06-57_574.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  98.7 KB
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

I went with the 99. While externally there are a few scuffs that can be polished out. The inside was clean, it had brand new tires, and every single maintenance record in date order. For an 11 yr old car, it's in excellent condition. The 2001 had 32K more miles, as well was cared for nicely. No history of maintenance, and the 17 inch tires needed to be replaced at $150 a pop. So, the 99 was a no brainer to me. It also rode smoother. The 01 needed shocks/struts.

Was thinking about just getting a CAI, and calling it good. Looking forward to doubling my gas mileage, over my mini-van.

You say your just gonna throw on a CAI and call it good. Thats what we all said at one point.

Just wondering though, where do you live? If you live anywhere thats not central texas, arizona, NM or NV, you might want to get a Short Ram intake.
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

You say your just gonna throw on a CAI and call it good. Thats what we all said at one point.

Just wondering though, where do you live? If you live anywhere thats not central texas, arizona, NM or NV, you might want to get a Short Ram intake.
Hot, muggy, HOUSTON!
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

Hot, muggy, HOUSTON!
If you get more than an inch of rain, dont go CAI. Unless you want to rebuild your motor.
Old 07-30-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Good choice.
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

If you get more than an inch of rain, dont go CAI. Unless you want to rebuild your motor.
Well...It does flood in the greater Houston area, but live in a suburb on the north side. I've been here almost 9 yrs, and only one time have I driven through any significant water. But Are you saying that If I'm driving down the interstate and It's poring cats and dogs that I shouldn't use a CAI? I had a used Saturn with one already installed and never really thought anything of it. Sounds like arguably, all the SRIs or CAIs do is add a little "growl" and possibly a 2-3 HP gain. But for $100ish, what could it hurt.
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

Well...It does flood in the greater Houston area, but live in a suburb on the north side. I've been here almost 9 yrs, and only one time have I driven through any significant water. But Are you saying that If I'm driving down the interstate and It's poring cats and dogs that I shouldn't use a CAI? I had a used Saturn with one already installed and never really thought anything of it. Sounds like arguably, all the SRIs or CAIs do is add a little "growl" and possibly a 2-3 HP gain. But for $100ish, what could it hurt.
The biggest thing you have to watch out for, is hitting a decent puddle and sucking up water. Hydrolock is one of the worst things that can happen to a motor. Think of how an engine works. Fuel and air come in, spark ignites it, result causes everything to move. Now with hydrolock, water is sucked up, but since it is not combustible, it sits there as the engine keeps running. Water which becomes as hard as a rock when it can no longer be compressed will cause you to bend rods, and put a hole right through the side of your block among other nasty things. The reason CAIs are worse for rain than SRIs are simply because of the placement. CAI will sit a fair bit lower than a SRI.
(sorry for my crappy explanation.)
It all comes down to personal preference though. I know some people who run CAIs in Seattle, with no problems, but I also know of plenty who have trashed their motors doing so. It really is all up to your personal preference, and what you feel confident with.
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Good choice.
I'd like to think so.
Old 07-31-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to hear! The only things I could say to look out for or expect to replace are your axles and maybe sway bar end links. But you live in a much nicer climate than I do, so the latter might not be too big of an issue. My axles, which I'm sure were the originals, lasted damn near 130,000 miles, so I'd say you're in good shape.
Old 07-31-2011
lady outlaw

montecarlogrrl is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice choice, I like the 6th gens. More pics?
Old 07-31-2011
Trance Addict

If you didn't see it, I have a link to the 6th gen manual in my signature for your DIY pleasure. Wait......
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a CAI and I live in canada. No issues with sucking up water yet. Just convert it back to SRI when the winter hits unless you dont get snow.
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by montecarlogrrl
Nice choice, I like the 6th gens. More pics?
When Im done washing and waxing I'll post more pics. One thing I am bummed about is the steering wheel seems discolored from hand oil and dirt. Other than that it just dusty from sitting. Unfortunately there was also some paint damage from pitch but got most of it off and hopefully the rest will buff out