7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Bay Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dustysaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Bay Cleaning

Anybody have any suggestions regarding how to go about cleaning the engine bay, in a safe and effective way? Any products in particular, or methods I should use?

My buddy who works at a BMW dealership said the guys literally take a pressure washer to it, after it cools, but in all honesty that kinda makes me nervous!
Old 07-26-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine Bay Cleaning

i wouldnt use any kind of water in there. lots of electronics and stuff cant be getting wet. try some orange clean degreaser on the oily areas but usually for dirt, water and a cloth should work. you can use something like mothers billet polish on the metals.
Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

RamAirDave is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no problem at all using a pressure washer to clean it off. Just use common sense. No close spraying and dont spray into electrical connections directly or in to the alternator directly. You will be just fine. Spray it with Simple Green, then spray it off with high pressure. Then use an electric leaf blower to dry off.
Old 11-05-2011
FTP

Civic_Nightmare is an unknown quantity at this point

you can just cover the distributor cap, battery, and air filter (i would) with a plastic bag. oh ya, and disconnect your battery and you can hose it down and use engine degreaser... thats what i usually do
Old 11-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

and prolly alternator/starter too
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

youmadeyou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RamAirDave
electric leaf blower to dry off.
I didn't even think about trying that . thanks for the tip.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point

I just cover my intake with a bag, coat everything with degreaser, let it sit, then hose it all off. Never had a problem.
Old 11-06-2011
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

It is perfectly fine washing your bay with a water hose even hitting the electrical stuff, another reason why why the wires are insulated so it won't hurt a thing unless the wires have cuts or something on them where the guts are showing. After I wash mine I just take off the intake filter and put it in the sun to dry off alittle and I let the bay dry to.
Old 11-07-2011
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

D17 motors have a very differant style of spark arrester. So a pressure washer is ok. However on other motors I would be careful not to soak the arrester as there may be issues with sumersion. I once washed a mitsu with a pressure washer and somehow, dont ask me how because I cant tell you, but somhow I soaked a plug and didnt know it. The engine bay dried but the plug didnt, I took the car out for a spin and noticed a smell like rotten eggs, turned out the four cylinder car was running on only three cylinders, bad news. With that said recently I have pressure washed my civic and need to again soon but its ok as long as the weather is warm and the pressure is low.
Old 11-07-2011
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Last I tried cleaning the engine bay my car wouldn't start cuz I sprayed some water into the distributor cap. I think that was my very first post here asking how to fix it...LOL!

But I also bought the wrong kinda spray...I was looking for the foam not liquid degreaser.
Old 11-07-2011
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

I think the distributor on the older motors would he the only obstical cause the cap doesn't have a o ring or a seal on it which would allow water to get into it.
Old 11-07-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I've always low pressure washed the engines on my Integra and on my Civic. Never had an issue. 10 years for both cars. I do it every other week.
Old 08-01-2012
not new to this

coupedeill is an unknown quantity at this point

Degreaser for a couple min, light pressure spray and wipe down...she needed it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00085.jpg
Views:	5194
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	83804   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00090.jpg
Views:	10665
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	83805  
Old 03-18-2016
Registered!!

XXWoodmanXX is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found a great mixture that works fantastic under the hood:

- Spray bottle (old glass cleaner or equiv.)
- 1/4 full of SimpleGreen
- 1/8 (est.) WD-40
- the rest is water

Spray areas and let soak for several minutes, but try to avoid the belts/pulleys if at all possible. then, a pressure-washer on low-pressure to rince away. Should you get the belts, the cleaner will 'dry' up the WD-40 on them EVENTUALLY, but not immediately.

It's a 'golden-rule' mixture that I use when I raced nitro R/C vehicles, and leaves a spot-free finish that looks like Armor-all when dry
Old 04-28-2016
Registered!!

Pier7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dustysaw
Anybody have any suggestions regarding how to go about cleaning the engine bay, in a safe and effective way? Any products in particular, or methods I should use?

My buddy who works at a BMW dealership said the guys literally take a pressure washer to it, after it cools, but in all honesty that kinda makes me nervous!

Its perfectly safe if you take some measures first gunk degreaser go to self wash open the hood let the car cool down for about 10 to 15 minutes. Than spray the degreaser over the engine completely let it sit for about 15 minutes than run the rinse mode and rinse the entire engine with pressure wash. Make sure when you do it do not directly aim parts such as alternator etc. I have been doing it for a very long time and had no problem plus your motor will look clean all the time. Hope this help.