7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Getting ATF level right on max line

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Getting ATF level right on max line

Im having a really tough time trying to do this, its been a week now, constantly checking my ATF as much as i can when its hot. People must think im wierd when im checking my ATF in a walmart parking lot, grocery store parking lot, gas station, blockbuster, mall parking lot, some random street. Ive been constantly having to drain some out, put more in, drain some out, put more in. All cause I cant get the damn thing on the max line.

I check on a flat road with the car in P with the engine off (ive even done it with it on too), and check within 60-90 secs after the cars been turned off. I pull it out, wipe, put back in right away and quickly take it right back out. Sometimes i get readings saying its over, then ill pull the stick out 4 or 5 more times at the same spot and itll then say its good. If im lucky ill get the same reading in 3 straight dips. Then i do it again and itll give me a different reading. What the hell? Why cant i just get an exact reading so i know where my ATF is at.
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough
Re: Getting ATF level right on max line

What's the point of having it exactly on the line? If it's on the line 3 times and slightly over the 4th time... its fine. Don't overthink it.
Old 07-23-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by green01civic
What's the point of having it exactly on the line? If it's on the line 3 times and slightly over the 4th time... its fine. Don't overthink it.
No what i mean is sometimes ill pull it out and have atf all over the stick.
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

richs1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

IS the car off or on when you do this? Because it should be off. And after driving it will cover the stick.
Old 07-23-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by richs1000
IS the car off or on when you do this? Because it should be off. And after driving it will cover the stick.
Yes off and i wait 60-90secs like told before i pull out the stick.

The thing is, my trans has had minor slippage a few times here and there and im sure its from overfilled or underfilled ATF level cause i never had this issue before when i had the ATF right at max line.
Old 07-23-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

um any longer than 30 seconds after shutting the car off will give an incorrect reading. as soon as the car is off the level starts to change. it has slippage because the trans sucks.
Old 07-23-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by gearbox
um any longer than 30 seconds after shutting the car off will give an incorrect reading. as soon as the car is off the level starts to change. it has slippage because the trans sucks.
Well i only get slipping here and there when the ATF is cooled or cold. Heard thats normal with Hondas. And after i put my ext Derale trans cooler on 3 weeks ago, I noticed it cools the ATF very fast when its in N or engine off. Alot faster than when i didnt have it installed.

So I could have a long drive, have the engine and ATF hot, turn the car off for 10mins, start er up and notice the ATF is cooled already from the ext cooler.
Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Well heres the thing when I had my caravan I had to sit there till it warmed up because it would not shift our it will be slipping on some gears till one day I was in a hurry and drove it cold and it went into limp mode and never shifted again. Then it found its way to the local junk yard. So you might need to find a new tranny soon. Sorry for the sad story bro.
Old 07-24-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
Well heres the thing when I had my caravan I had to sit there till it warmed up because it would not shift our it will be slipping on some gears till one day I was in a hurry and drove it cold and it went into limp mode and never shifted again. Then it found its way to the local junk yard. So you might need to find a new tranny soon. Sorry for the sad story bro.
I actually just put a new trans in my civic. Its only been a few times that its slipped but like i said only when its cold. Before i put the ext cooler on, it never slipped so i think the cooler is cooling the ATF a lot faster than it would without. That and i have to get the ATF level right on the max line because when its on the max line it doesnt slip.

Im actually thinking about taking the cooler off.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 07-24-2011 at 02:10 AM.