7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Part Recommendations: Brakes/ Timing Belt Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zman4011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Part Recommendations: Brakes/ Timing Belt Kit

2001 Honda Civic EX 4cyl Auto

I need to replace my rotors and pads (front).....anyone have any recommendations as far as what brands to go with and where they got them. I also need to get a timing belt kit.....any suggestions for that would be well appreciated.
Old 07-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Part Recommendations: Brakes/ Timing Belt Kit

http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-motors...nomy-brake.cfm
Old 07-18-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm rocking that brake kit right now. Just installed it actually. I like it. As for timing belt, just go with Honda oem from either hondapartacheap.com or hondaautomotiveparts.com
Old 07-19-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Not a well known brand, but the best street pads I've used on the EM2. Axxis Ultimate Ceramic. Good initial bite, minimal fade, no dust issues. Very rotor friendly. Australian made. I've used Hawk, EBC, Wilwood, Trust, OEM, Napa, etc. Aggressive driving will yield 12 to 15k miles before replacement.
Old 07-19-2011
02 coupe DX

Lopes101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I might pick that package up right now as well. Does that package come with pads and rotors for front right and front left?
Old 07-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^Email dezod and ask, they usually get back to me within an hour.
Old 07-19-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the package is to replace both front left and right pads/rotors
Old 07-19-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by maxtierney
. Axxis Ultimate Ceramic. Good initial bite
i am tempted to try these or the hawk HP ceramic... when u got the axxis, were u on stock caliper set up or those massive 6 piston monsters u have?

what do you think man? ive gone through a set of HPS+ and HPS for my civic. just WAYYYYYYYYY too much dust. hate it.
Old 07-19-2011
02 coupe DX

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Yes, the package is to replace both front left and right pads/rotors

Thanks! And you said they are decent? Not to much dust etc etc?
Old 07-19-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
i am tempted to try these or the hawk HP ceramic... when u got the axxis, were u on stock caliper set up or those massive 6 piston monsters u have?

what do you think man? ive gone through a set of HPS+ and HPS for my civic. just WAYYYYYYYYY too much dust. hate it.
Stock calipers. As a matter of fact, I've got a fairly new set at home. Maybe 5 or 6 months of use. Wanna try 'em out? I can mail 'em to you. Judge for yourself, before you buy a set. Hopefully they're still where I think they are.
Old 07-19-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

stock pads and rotors are best for normal driving. good combination of stopping power, low dust and noise, and life.
Old 07-19-2011
02 coupe DX

Originally Posted by gearbox
stock pads and rotors are best for normal driving. good combination of stopping power, low dust and noise, and life.

I am getting slightly lost, Would it be better to get the ones linked, or just oem stock ones?
Old 07-19-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i really dont know, i cant see how the linked ones would be any better in terms of brake performance. ive tried non-oem hardware before and been disappointed due to louder noise when braking and more dust.
Old 07-19-2011
EM2ti

Gearbox is correct. Unless you track or cross, there is no real difference between street pads. Some have more metal content for inreased heat properties and bite characteristics. But the real differences can only be felt as the ratio increases from street to mainly street/occasional track, to track-streetable, to race only.

The pads listed on Dezod's site, and all semi-metaliic pads for that matter, provide better initial bite than ceramic, BUT this occurs at the expense of your rotors and will produce more dust.

I found some good info on brake pads below, to better illustrate my point. This is the reason I always use ceramic pads on the street.

Metallic, or carbon metallic brake pads as they are commonly referred to, have some advantages over ceramic pads, but those advantages may not be outweighed by the disadvantages. The disadvantages may all be addressed by the ceramic pads. Metallic pads have excellent heat characteristics, but tend to have other problems that make them less desirable than the ceramic version of the same pads.

Noise Characteristics

Metallic pads are noisy. Brake noise can be traced back to a harmonic vibration caused by movement of the pads due to rotor run out, and the amount of play in the brake mounting hardware.

Ceramic pads, while still affected by this vibration, raise the harmonic noise out of the range of the human ear. It's still there, but we just can't hear it anymore. The softness of the pad also helps absorb vibration much like the old organic compounds. Think of the difference in the sound of a quarter spinning on a table and a rubber washer spinning on the table.

Wear Characteristics

Metallic pads eat up rotors. The problem here is caused by the fact that metallic pads are harder than the other pad compounds. When the pad comes into contact with the rotor, the rotor will wear down along with the pads.

Ceramic pads are very soft, and only the pads wear. Because they are also more heat tolerant, they will not wear as fast as the metallic pad compounds.

Dusting Characteristics

Dust build up on your wheels is caused by the high carbon and metal content of the metallic pad. Because these materials hold static electricity, they are also drawn to the metal in the wheel and brake system, resulting in thick, black buildup.

Ceramic pad compound have no magnetic properties to draw the dust to the wheel, so it is less likely to stick. The dust is also a light gray color instead of black. Any dust that does make it onto the wheel will be less visible.

Heat Characteristics

Where the metallic pad shines is in its broad heat range. It functions properly at low temperatures as well as very high temperatures. Metallic pads do tend to hold heat, and brake fade due to fluid boiling still happens.

The ceramic pads' only weakness is low temperature efficiency. They need to be warmed a little during the first few stops. After warm up, they work well. And they don't hold heat, so they recover from a hard stop much faster, preventing fluid boiling and brake fade.

Price Difference

The bottom line is that metallic pads work well and do stop better than the semi-metallic pads. However, there are some drawbacks, and these are addressed very nicely by ceramic pads. The downside is the cost.
Old 07-19-2011
Premium Member

that is a great reply. i guess we should ask what kind of driving he does. because street driving can be mild braking on city roads from 35mph, or highway braking from 65mph, or lots of braking in the mountains. if you are braking above 40mph or need to use the brakes more than normal, it may be worth switching to a pad that can handle more heat. ofcourse it will take longer for them to warm up, but if most braking is done at hi speeds, it shouldnt matter.

most importantly, if you do brake at hi speeds and heat up the parts a lot, you need to follow certain precautions to prevent problems like uneven pad deposits that can cause vibration. you should always let go of the pedal after a hard stop and use the ebrake to hold the car in position (and shift to N if needed for auto). keeping the brakes clamped after they are hot can cause pad transfer to the rotor and even a pad imprint which can cause vibration the next time you use the brakes (often people call this "warped rotors" but actually it is uneven pad material deposition). there are ways to remedy this but they dont always work and may require replacement of the pads and rotors. its easier not to ruin them in the first place.

Last edited by gearbox; 07-19-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2011
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Back to the timing belt. I wouldn't get a kit. Just find the DIY and get the Honda OEM parts. If you can afford it I would do all the optional parts too. It worked for me, it will work for you.

I would even buy the tool to remove the crank bolt, that made the task of getting that bolt off a snap. I dreaded that bolt, but with that tool and air tools I remember saying, "hrm that wasn't a big deal at all."