7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Dont we have a rear axle and rear spindle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Dont we have a rear axle and rear spindle?

Rear Axle
Rear Spindle

Where are they located? I googled pics of each and it just brings up a rear hub assembly. Are they all the same?

Im trying to double check if my rear axle or rear spindle are bent at all but all i see if the LCA and swaybar.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Dont we have a rear axle and rear spindle?

I call 'em knuckles - "in-ies". Spindles are "out-ies". That's the way I was taught.

Hubs go into the knuckles. Bearings go onto the spindles.

We got knuckles. Did you hit something? Chances are that something else is wacked, if you were able to bend a hub, knuckle, etc. You would know. Bent rim, control arm, upper arm/camber adjuster, etc.
Old 07-18-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by maxtierney
I call 'em knuckles - "in-ies". Spindles are "out-ies". That's the way I was taught.

Hubs go into the knuckles. Bearings go onto the spindles.

We got knuckles. Did you hit something? Chances are that something else is wacked, if you were able to bend a hub, knuckle, etc. You would know. Bent rim, control arm, upper arm/camber adjuster, etc.
What spindles? you mean the ones on the back of our wheel hubs? I know the inside piece of metal is the wheel bearing and it slides onto the knuckle.

Well im still dianosing my problem and my mech today just want to double check to make sure nothing in the rear under the car is bent. Checked LCA bushings, nothing good, no give at all. Sway bar, no give at all. A buddy of mine said to make sure my rear axle or rear spindle isnt bent, and it confused me cause i couldnt locate them.

I ordered the front knuckle bushing from honda and itll be here tommorw, Im almost certain this is the culprit since mine is ripped and toast.

Example pic on another car but basically the outter black ring around the knuckle is what ill be replacing on mine.

Old 07-18-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.. not at all.. Ours look like this:

Name:  drumdiy2.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  35.5 KB
Old 07-18-2011
I am Epic

Thanks, so any ideas how to remove that bushing around the knuckle? im gonna do it tommorow. I was told a flathead would pull it out but im not sure.

Old 07-19-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I can't see your pics, so I'm having a hard time figuring out what you need to accomplish. I am assuming you need to replace the bushing that is in the knuckle and trailing arm. I've only done this with the knuckle completely removed from the trailing arm and upper control arm. If you need to remove the front knuckle bushing, then you will have to buy some all thread (about a foot) from Home Depot or Lowes, that will fit inside both bushings. IIRC, the rear bushing is a little larger than the front. Then, you'll need a large washer that is larger than the outside diameter of the rear knuckle opening. A smaller washer that will fit in the inside diameter of the front knuckle opening. Two nuts that fit the all thread. Basically, you will partially slide the all thread through the front bushing, put the smaller washer on, then both nuts, and finally the larger washer. Slide the contraption through rear bushing. The smaller washer should be resting on the front bushing and the larger washer on the rear knuckle opening. Spin the nuts in opposite directions until both nuts are on both washers. Using two wrenches, keep turning until the front bushing pops out. To install the new bushing, you can use a c clamp, rubber mallet or reverse the process by placing the washers on the outside and cranking the nuts inward. Hope that made sense.