7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Big-O-Tires Screwed my Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Big-O-Tires Screwed my Rotors

Well, where to begin. I took my civic into Big O to get my alignment done, and have a wheel stud replaced. Long story short, I got it done, and everything was great until I started driving it on the Highway. Started hearing some weird rotational noises coming from the same wheel they did the work on. (front right). I took the rim off to make sure nothing was rubbing, and nothing was.

Low and behold, this is what I came to find on my brake rotor.

Name:  IMAG0200.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  55.0 KB

Needless to say, I will be making sure they fix this on monday. Any input as to what on the caliper is causing this crap would be appreciated.

Last edited by chozobody; 07-17-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 07-17-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Big-O-Tires Screwed my Rotors

something might have gotten stuck between the pad and the rotor or anything along those lines.
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Or the slide pins weren't lubed. Leading to a stuck piston, which would cause damage just like that.
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
Or the slide pins weren't lubed. Leading to a stuck piston, which would cause damage just like that.
How should I approach this with them, so as not to get the run around and have the blame put on myself?
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

The only way to ensure that is an inspection by another mechanic. Even then they may balk and you'll end up in court anyways.

To replace that stud they had to take all that stuff off and obviously didn't put it back together right.

I would go in there and be very nice and explain to them that you know that stuff had to come off and you didn't have any problems with it before so, obviously they didn't put it back together right. If that doesn't work throw a **** fit. If that doesn't work then take 'em to small claims court. That's pretty much the only options.

Problems like this is why I started doing DIYs for the small things.
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

it mite be far fetched but you mite have got a rock jammed in there while you werr driving its happened to me before.
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

Ill do that lazlong. Thanks. Ill update this tomorrow as soon as I get back from talking to them.
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i mean if it wasn't making the noise as soon as you started driving it out off there shop im guessing you did pick up some debris elsewhere.
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i mean if it wasn't making the noise as soon as you started driving it out off there shop im guessing you did pick up some debris elsewhere.
Would I be better off opening it up before I go there, or wait for them to look at it.?
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

sure why not as long as you know what your doing its just a couple bolts to get the caliper off it beats driving it around making the rotor worse.
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
sure why not as long as you know what your doing its just a couple bolts to get the caliper off it beats driving it around making the rotor worse.
In regards to checking the caliper for rocks or other debris, I just got done re-installing everything. I visually checked the caliper and pads, And cleaned the rotors. There are other splotches similar to the circular pattern on the rotor another centimeter inside of the other. Nothing fell out during the process, and nothing was stuck in the pads or rotor. I drove it around after doing this, only to find that the noise was just as bad as ever. I guess tomorrow I will be going straight to the manager just like laz told me.
Old 07-21-2011
Registered!!

So you guys are not going to believe this. What had happened to the rotor had nothing to do with the caliper. Turns out the mechanic who put the hub back on, cross threaded the giant 32mm bolt to the CV axle. He wasnt being careful with the air tool, and he didnt even bother to tell anyone till they nearly couldnt get it off. Regardless though, they fixed it with a whole new CV assembly. I ended up replacing the damaged rotor, while putting in new High Performance Ceramic pads up front.

I figure it gave me an excuse to do more work on the civic. Now i'm just here waiting for my rear camber kit, and front strut bar to arrive(tomorrow and the next day respectively). I feel like I more or less should start a build thread for my 4dr rice rocket. Who knows.
Old 07-21-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Good forod for you. I'm glad they replaced the parts for you.