7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

headgasket help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iplayloudly is an unknown quantity at this point
headgasket help

Well I just finished swapping my headgasket. This was my first timing doing such a job, but I did everything by the book, and torqued everything to spec. Now that everything is back together, I'm noticing what looks like a small amount of oil floating at the top of the coolant in the radiator. Having said that, I did spill oil everywhere when taking the head off. I'm hoping this is just from residue left over from that spill. I thought I had gotten it all cleaned up, but maybe not.

I've never seen what an actual blown headgasket looks like. Here is my old one. Does it look blown? I do see a few "breaks" in the black part, but I'm not sure if that would cause it to actually leak.

Name:  IMG_0536.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  537.9 KB

Also, I have one more question. After putting everything back together, I ended up with one part left over. I thought I had done well labeling everything so this wouldn't happen, but apparently I missed a piece. Anyone know where the heck this goes?

Name:  IMG_0537.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  513.4 KB
Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

mbrishke can only hope to improve
Re: headgasket help

sorry i cant help you. but i just wanted to ask you how difficult the job was. And do you think it was worth the money you saved to d.i.y? im about to start the same job soon :\
Old 07-08-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

for me, the job was definitely worth it. If you wanna see tips, tricks, and my lessons learned, click the link in my sig. Also check out the head gasket DIY floating around.

When I changed my head gasket, on your second picture, I had a small break in the black coating between cylinders 2 and 3, and when I got the head resurfaced, the guy told me he had to shave off .004" to make up for a divot between cylinders 2 and 3

as for that piece.. I have no idea what it is either.. lol
Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

iplayloudly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mbrishke
sorry i cant help you. but i just wanted to ask you how difficult the job was. And do you think it was worth the money you saved to d.i.y? im about to start the same job soon :\
well i think its worth it if you have a spare vehicle to drive, which i do. I had a lot of down time (getting the head checked out, then only working a couple hours each night getting it all back together). I think the job took me around 16 hours of work total.

I did forget to mention i had the head professionally checked out. They told me I was good to go.
Old 07-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

DIY was definitely worth - after doing the job and running the car, the spare car started to act out and now i have spare cash to fix the spare car too (clutch). 3weeks total time, not sure how long at the job, since a lot of time was for cleaning stuff and others. The oil is normal, after some time, flush the system again.
The breaks in the coating are the blown parts, yes.
Old 07-09-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't tell because parts of the gasket actually stay on the block/head so its very hard to tell where it was leaking.. you can usually see a white piston though