7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

replacing ac compressor help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xaxixuxexo is an unknown quantity at this point
replacing ac compressor help

I am new here, so i'm sorry if I am not doing this right.
I need to replace my ac compressor, I was hoping for a DIY but i couldn't find one. Can someone give me some help on what all needs done. For example: vacuuming the system, changing anything else with it, proper prep?
Any help is appreciated. This is for a 2001 Civic Ex.
Old 07-08-2011
Kustom Painter

Mr.Entabulator is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: replacing ac compressor help

as far as the vacuum pump goes, i can't help you much. I used a recovery/vacuum system at the shop. I've heard of using the pump off of an refrigerator but i've yet to test this one out. You can pick up a cheap vacuum pump from harbor freight for like $150 if you wish to purchase your own.But for getting the compressor out, here is a DIY that will tell you the easiest way to get to it to get it out. This is one meant for changing out your alternator but you have to take out the power steering pump and alternator to get to it anyways and it tells you how.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-upgrade.html
once you've removed all that, it's as simple as undoing the 4 mounting bolts on the compressor and remove the lines.
You will need to replace the dryer when you replace the compressor, whatever you do, don't get an aftermarket dryer. They don't seal properly and will leak out all your freon.
List price for the dryer from honda is $90 and comes with a new pressure switch already on it, shop price is like $66. Be careful with your lines going to the dryer, they are very easy to bend so they don't seat properly. I did this and they are like $40 a piece.
Any other questions feel free
Old 07-09-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

you will need to vaccume ur lines and pour proper 134a amounts in there afterward. i suggest you leave it to a professional.

and any time an AC system is open, you need to change out the dryer.
Old 07-09-2011
Registered!!

Okay thanks, I was never planning on tackling this alone ha. But I have a friend who is naturally good at working on anything and everything, including cars, his dad has the right equipment for this stuff ( his dad is actually certified to work on ac) too bad they dont get along, becuz ive asked him to just have his dad help. but he wont. He is still my last resort if I cant find a shop that will do it. One shop wont do it because I already have the ac compressor, wtf?

As for the dryer do i need to replace that first or last? and are you saying I will also need to replace those lines?
Old 07-11-2011
Kustom Painter

Each compressor is a little bit different but mine called for 5oz of oil in it and then you could install the compressor. Once you have the compressor on, I would do the dryer. Make that the last thing you do and try and do it as fast as possible. Your dryer will come with seals on the top of it to keep moisture out till you're ready to install it. No you won't have to replace your lines unless you bend one. It is possible if you have small hands and long arms and long extensions on your socket to replace the dryer without taking the front bumper and drivers side headlight out, but having done it many times I can say from experience that it is far easier to take the bumper off and then the drivers side headlight to access the dryer. The proper amount of 134a freon is .9lbs which translates for you to 17.4-19.2 ounces. You can buy it in a 19 ounce can at advance auto or walmart and take the guess work out of it.
If you still want to tackle it, go for it and I can help with questions. But taking it to a shop is always a safe idea.
Old 07-11-2011
Registered!!

I found a shop that will do it all for 200 bucks. Dont know if I want to do that option yet. But all of the info is very helpful thanks alot
Old 07-11-2011
Kustom Painter

It took me 5 hours my first time. It's just up to you and what you want to do and how much you want to spend.
Old 07-11-2011
Registered!!

And as for the dryer, I found one off rock auto for 15 bucks, four seasons brand i believe, it says its tested for leaks and everything, you still think thats a bad idea?
Old 07-11-2011
Kustom Painter

I replaced my dryer 4 times, 3 aftermarket ones and 1 oem one. I'm replacing an aftermarket evaporator core and explansion valve in mine with oem tomorrow. Believe when I say stick to oem honda on ac parts. The only thing that hasn't been a problem has been my aftermarket compressor, it works like a charm and seals wonderfully.

My ac adventure started with what I thought would be a simple and easy fix of a new compressor and dryer for $150. That was 2 months ago and 4 dryers, both high and low side lines, compressor, evaporater core, expansion valve, and probably $150 in freon by now. My total is up to $920 as of today just for parts on shop discount and freon. Praying tomorrow will be my last day of it and I will finally have a working ac system that doesn't leak.
Old 07-11-2011
Registered!!

I hope I dont get into that much. I got my compressor from a junkyard, so hopefully it works. And im really just assuming its my compressor, because a while ago it made a grinding noise, sounded like the clutch on it. Had a friend check it out and said its the compressor. So hopefully.
Old 07-11-2011
Kustom Painter

Best of luck man. Make sure your o-rings are good on everything and if you need new ones get them from honda, the aftermarket ones fell apart on me while i was trying to intall them
Old 07-13-2011
Registered!!

brobo will become famous soon enoughbrobo will become famous soon enough

i am making a diy right now but i am having trouble with my ecu not turning on the clutch
Old 07-13-2011
Kustom Painter

Have you checked your fuses and relays?
Old 07-13-2011
Registered!!

I have not, which fuses do I check? and what relays? im not very car savvy unfortunately. unless you directed that towards brobo, ha
Old 07-13-2011
Registered!!

brobo will become famous soon enoughbrobo will become famous soon enough

no i think my under dash fuse box is bad so im replacing it with my spare
here is the diy
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4548471
Old 07-13-2011
Kustom Painter

Check both fuse boxes. The one up in the engine bay and the one under the steering column. The covers will have a diagram of which is which and just pull out and check to make sure that they are all good. For the relays in the engine bay, if you know your horn works but not sure about the ac, you can switch the relays from the horn to the ac and visa versa. They are identical part numbers. Just saying, check the $5 stuff before you move the triple digit stuff
Old 04-05-2016
Registered!!

Dave Allen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr.Entabulator
as far as the vacuum pump goes, i can't help you much. I used a recovery/vacuum system at the shop. I've heard of using the pump off of an refrigerator but i've yet to test this one out. You can pick up a cheap vacuum pump from harbor freight for like $150 if you wish to purchase your own.But for getting the compressor out, here is a DIY that will tell you the easiest way to get to it to get it out. This is one meant for changing out your alternator but you have to take out the power steering pump and alternator to get to it anyways and it tells you how.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-upgrade.html
once you've removed all that, it's as simple as undoing the 4 mounting bolts on the compressor and remove the lines.
You will need to replace the dryer when you replace the compressor, whatever you do, don't get an aftermarket dryer. They don't seal properly and will leak out all your freon.
List price for the dryer from honda is $90 and comes with a new pressure switch already on it, shop price is like $66. Be careful with your lines going to the dryer, they are very easy to bend so they don't seat properly. I did this and they are like $40 a piece.
Any other questions feel free
Is there a video showing how to do it near that year you know if I can't find one