7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

ATF levels. should it be between the min and max line or ON the max line?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
ATF levels. should it be between the min and max line or ON the max line?

Hey I just did another drain and fill last Friday and checked the ATF level at the time and it was right at the max line on my ATF stick so I left it. I did another re-check just now on a hot tranny with the engine off for 1min on a flat surface and there was a tad bit too much, as there was some ATF over the Max line.

For the levels does it have to be on the max line or is it better having it half way between the max and min line?

And Is there a way I can just suck some ATF out from the fill hole or do i have to get under the car again and undo the bolt again to drain some out?
Old 07-04-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ATF levels. should it be between the min and max line or ON the max line?

I usually check it when the engine is warm, thats just how I was raised to check ATF lvls idk if that is the best way but whatever you do never overfill it. I think the amount per change is around 3qts I'm not positive somebody else can chime in on that.

You could drain some out if there is too much. But don't go off just one reading. Take it once or twice a day after your usual commute for a few days to get a better-averaged- reading.
Old 07-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It's not a min and max line, it's a full and min line.

You should be dead on the full line, which may require you drain or add a bit more to get it just right. The exact amount your supposed to add is actually 2.9 quarts. If you haven't swapped to the new style dipstick do that too.
Old 07-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i would also clean the sand and dirt off around the opening of the dipstick you definitely don't want dirt getting in there because the dipstick is usually very loose and moves around while your driving.
Old 07-04-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

ok looks like my engine oil is overfilled too?

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i would also clean the sand and dirt off around the opening of the dipstick you definitely don't want dirt getting in there because the dipstick is usually very loose and moves around while your driving.
Yes I did that and i have the new dipstick.
Old 07-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Yup, drain it down to the second dot.

There's a whole series of problems associated with overfilling oil.
Old 07-04-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Yup, drain it down to the second dot.

There's a whole series of problems associated with overfilling oil.
Really? Damn good thing im taking notice now. The one mech Ive been getting to do my oil and ATF changes has overfilled it each time. You think thats enough to warrant not going back?
Old 07-04-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

if you want something done rite you do it yourself.
Old 07-04-2011
I am Epic

if you want something done rite you do it yourself.
I would but i dont have a garage to work out of.

What size wrench is needed for the trans and engine bolts under the car?
Old 07-04-2011
Registered!!

i don't have a usable garage either i do it in my back yard and once again you fail. check the DIY section
Old 07-04-2011
I am Epic

i don't have a usable garage either i do it in my back yard and once again you fail. check the DIY section
Theres no need for insults.
Old 07-04-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

i don't have a usable garage either i do it in my back yard
I used to change my oil in my job's parking lot or in our apartment complex before we moved into a house. I changed my radiator in like 90 degree weather before. . Never again.
OP, invest in a cheap socket set and hit up the DIY section.
Old 07-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me.. do EVERYTHING yourself... Mechanics are sloppy and want to get the car out of there A.S.A.P. I do everything in my driveway, with no garage as well... Here is me just about to tackle some balljoints.. Parts and tools laid out.. on my driveway lol (SORRY MEL! I'd take my car to you fo sho)

Name:  SAM_6769.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  204.6 KB
Old 07-04-2011
Registered!!

Yeah you start overfilling your ATF/oil and you start getting seal problems. My rear main seal and crankshaft seal are going-going-(almost gone). It all started when my mech's would overfill.
Old 07-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If your mechanic can't get the oil levels right, do you think he will be percise on more complicated jobs?

Not having a garage is no big deal, I work out my apartment parking lot. Just buy a cheap metric socket set, a jack and stands, an oil drain pan and funnel, and a torque wrench; with those tools you'll be able to do 90% of jobs yourself.
Old 07-04-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Theres no need for insults.
there's no need to ask questions and start threads that are answered in the DIY section evan though you have been told numerous times to do so are you just to lazy to search or what. we can't spoon feed you everything it gets tedious.
Old 07-05-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by tbohar
Trust me.. do EVERYTHING yourself... Mechanics are sloppy and want to get the car out of there A.S.A.P. I do everything in my driveway, with no garage as well... Here is me just about to tackle some balljoints.. Parts and tools laid out.. on my driveway lol (SORRY MEL! I'd take my car to you fo sho)

Well I would need a socket set, probably a wrench set too, torque wrench for the wheels and jack and jack stands too?

If I can come up with a list of what tools I need, I would consider doing it myself.

Looks like a couple hundred just for the tools

If your mechanic can't get the oil levels right, do you think he will be percise on more complicated jobs?

Not having a garage is no big deal, I work out my apartment parking lot. Just buy a cheap metric socket set, a jack and stands, an oil drain pan and funnel, and a torque wrench; with those tools you'll be able to do 90% of jobs yourself.
What size socket set do i need? 1/4" 1/2" or 3/8"? Last time i went into the store i was so lost.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 07-05-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

do you have a harbor freight tools near you there good for jack stands,jacks,sockets its a start anyway but i would get a good name brand torque wrench.
Old 07-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Your quoting imperial socket sizes, only you strange americans use that measurement system, our cars are japanese and therefore you need metric sockets. Go to the store and just buy a basic socket set in a plastic case, usually they're like $50-75 for one that will serve all your needs. You'll probably spend $200-250 on tools, but once you learn and start doing relatively complex repairs yourself you'll save a ton of cash; remember, most shops charge $80-120 an hour for labour.
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

I never heard of those socket sets being called "imperial" lol. My socket set calls them "standard"
Old 07-05-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The dirt builds up quickly on the flat ring around opening for sure.

You do know about the improved fit ATF dipstick for the 7th gens, don't you ??
They fit much better.
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

yes i do from way back when gearbox first mentioned them.
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

Now thats thinking with your dipstick!
Old 07-06-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Your quoting imperial socket sizes, only you strange americans use that measurement system, our cars are japanese and therefore you need metric sockets. Go to the store and just buy a basic socket set in a plastic case, usually they're like $50-75 for one that will serve all your needs. You'll probably spend $200-250 on tools, but once you learn and start doing relatively complex repairs yourself you'll save a ton of cash; remember, most shops charge $80-120 an hour for labour.
I think he's talking about the drive size that was confusing him...

To noobie: I think to start you should wait for a good sale on a quality set, not some chinese junk. This one is a pretty good starter set, and actually the lowest price I've seen it ($100 off!): http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G21

To it you'll want to add, at a minimum: A 17mm deep socket (for PCV removal), a pliers set (slip joint, needle nose, etc), some adjustable wrenches, and maybe either some assorted screwdrivers or a ratcheting screwdriver.
You'll probably want at some point: Some large 1/2"-drive sockets and a breaker bar (to get spindle nut removed, among other things).

Lifetime warranty on my tools has been good to me so far, I don't break things often, but there's two or three Sears stores nearby and it's a short drive.
Old 07-06-2011
Registered!!

you don't have pawn shops around you they always have tools.
Old 07-06-2011
Registered!!

richs1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
ok looks like my engine oil is overfilled too?

Yes I did that and i have the new dipstick.
A new dipstick as in aftermarket? or new as in OEM?
Old 07-07-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by richs1000
A new dipstick as in aftermarket? or new as in OEM?
I got the new OEM ATF sick, the one thats part number ends in 003.

For the engine oil i took out about half a quart today, now it sits perfect. I dont know about you but overfilling by half a litre is pretty serious.

Also when i check oil, i pull the stick out twice and i get oil all over the dipstick but im still able to get a reading from the bottom. Is this normal to have engine oil on the upper part of the dipstick after its hot and driven?