7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Help with identifying a noise please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03Civicuser is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with identifying a noise please!!!

Before I bring this into a dealer and get taken for a ride I hope someone can help..I have an '03 civic coupe, 195000 kms, 1.7L 5 spd. A few days ago This started...When I accelerate I hear a fairly loud "clicking" noise, sounded like it was coming from the R.F. wheel..When I depress the clutch noise disappears, hit the gas (especially in lower gears) and u can definitely hear the noise louder than in the higher gears..With the car idling, and depressing and releasing the clutch of course makes a bit of a different noise but nothing out of the ordinary.. Took the wheel off and see nothing obvious, all looks ok. You really only hear the click upon acceleration which then got me to thinking is it in the wheel area at all??. I was at first thinking CV Joints maybe.. but is there something else I should be looking at???
Once again thanks for any help provided
Old 07-02-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Help with identifying a noise please!!!

I would say CV joint, most definitely. How about this noise when you're not moving? If the noise isn't being duplicated while you're stationary, it's gotta be the CVJs. Mine didn't look bad at all when they went. The boots were still intact and everything. Is the noise much more pronounced when turning? Keep us updated so we can help you troubleshoot the problem a little bit more.
Old 07-02-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MelJ
I would say CV joint, most definitely. How about this noise when you're not moving? If the noise isn't being duplicated while you're stationary, it's gotta be the CVJs. Mine didn't look bad at all when they went. The boots were still intact and everything. Is the noise much more pronounced when turning? Keep us updated so we can help you troubleshoot the problem a little bit more.
Thanks for the reply..No noise when not moving..I didn't notice a big difference when turning.. sorry if my post was confusing.. the only reason i mentioned the clutch noise was that I had read where these cars are prone to the tranny input shaft bearing wearing and wondered if that could possibly be it.. but i see from you post that it's likely not that correct? i assume if it was the input shaft brg, it would make the noise when stationary?
Old 07-02-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...save-some.html
I still say CVs since you say it's mostly there when you take off. Mine was doing the same exact thing.
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

Well, just got the news. Diagnosed as needing a transmission. just great.. So they tell me somewhere around $600 for a tranny and then another $250 for a clutch kit.. 6 hrs labour or so.. around $1300 by the time it's all done..sound about right?
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point

Did they tell you exactily what was wrong with the tranny?
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

civic0427 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I would like to know what failed in the transmission to make a noise that stops when you press in the clutch. I was leaning towards release bearing.
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

thro-out bearing ??

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=717&t ransactionid=1309910132-693733177&posted_by=lowlife9_www.civicforums.com&y outube_video_id=XOR4CiYJ2sw[/autostream]
Old 07-06-2011
Registered!!

No they didn't tell me exactly what.. just that i needed a tranny..I guess I should have asked and will do so later today. as far as the video, yeah somewhat but not to that degree.. it's a very pronounced clicking noise especially in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.. 4th and 5th are not as noisy.. u guys thing maybe a second opinion?
Old 07-06-2011
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe a second opinion wouldn't hurt. I'm just more curious to know what they think the specific issue is with the transmission. I would also question if they are planning on putting in new parts or refurbished, exactly what parts they are putting in, what kind of warranty it has, etc...
Old 07-06-2011
Registered!!

marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point

Well. Bring it in to a honda dealership unless thats what you did before hand. About a year ago I had some tranny bearings changed(IDK but my dealership is good. Idk if its because im a Honda assoc. Or that they are really just good people). When I would let my foot off the clutch it would sound like something is rubbing and when I would start moving it would sounds kinda grindy. Your issue sounds similar to mine.
Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

Well Crap! Brought to a dealer for 2nd opinion... Need 1st and 2nd gear at least.. quote contains bearings, shafts, washers, fluids, etc, etc.. almost 2G w/o clutch.. definitely going to go used route..
Found a tranny with 138K... what do you suggest for a clutch kit?
Old 07-08-2011
Trance Addict

Originally Posted by pheaton
Maybe a second opinion wouldn't hurt. I'm just more curious to know what they think the specific issue is with the transmission. I would also question if they are planning on putting in new parts or refurbished, exactly what parts they are putting in, what kind of warranty it has, etc...
+1,000. I would definitely bring it to another shop. Maybe an independent transmission shop. It wouldn't hurt.
Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

yeah, this was estimate #2.. not sure it'll get too much better I'm afraid.. just found a used tranny for $500 with 130K and 3 mos warranty, looks like I can buy a Rhino pac clutch kit for $180 (http://www.clutchplace.com/clutch-ki...lutch-kit.html)
Does this sound reasonable to you guys? One shop is quoting $75 to reface flywheel and about 6 hrs to replace it all? is rhino a cutch you would reommend?

Last edited by 03Civicuser; 07-09-2011 at 06:19 AM.