7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whats this switch do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oght is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats this switch do?

So i just bought my 04 Si with 50k miles on it the color is Si blue with the HFP from factory. Anyways theres a black switch on the right side of the shifter. The previous owner didnt tell me what it was and i cant figure out what it is. Anybody wanna inform a newb? thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Whats this switch do?

Would you be able to provide a photo?
Old 06-26-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Overdrive? Not sure, picture plz.
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

TDC2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm assuming it would be nothing just a plug, probably an optional thing, check with dealer for interior options
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Overdrive? Not sure, picture plz.
overdrive on a manual? Did si models come with automatics?
Old 06-26-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Hell naw! From the pic you provided, it might just be nothing. But the OP said it's a switch. That's why we need a pic from their car. My Si has a piece of plastic covering a hole for my car. Don't know what's suppose to go there. Might have been a feature on another model or something. I dunno. Hopefully he/she gets back to us.
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

Cute cat, what's its name
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

Its right where the plastic plug is. Ive switched it a couple times while driving and didnt notice a difference of any sort. I figured all Si's had the switch. Ill post a pic though
Old 06-26-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

My bad I got confused with Canadian SI again... figures... it might be a switch he put in .. not sure don't know much about SiRs (ha)
Old 06-26-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Did the previous owner say anything about having underglow or even neon tube lighting inside the car before? This could have been the switch for those. Or Nitrous lol.

Or maybe it's for stealth mode when running from the cops and sends out a radio jamming frequency to deter any pursuers?
Old 06-26-2011
Whachya lookin at?

It could also be the emergency eject button, standard equipment on Civics.
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

haha funny you mention the cops. i just had a run in passing a car going about 110 then wham statey. he turned around but didnt turn his lights on so i took off like smokey and the bandit. anyways im thinkin maybe its the rear defroster or somethin it doesnt look too aftermarket.
Old 06-26-2011

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Oght
haha funny you mention the cops. i just had a run in passing a car going about 110 then wham statey. he turned around but didnt turn his lights on so i took off like smokey and the bandit. anyways im thinkin maybe its the rear defroster or somethin it doesnt look too aftermarket.
Nah, the rear defroster would be the button next to the A/C
Old 06-26-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Now I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's an additional button like most civics have. It's just more promenant on the higher dash and he probably installed something there that he removed. Who knows what it was, you'd have to ask him It doesn't look like it serves a function OEM. ( I could be wrong, not a lot of Si owners here though )

Now, have you tried PUSHING the button?
Old 06-26-2011
Whachya lookin at?

This guy is using it as an MP3 holder:

http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-...i-install.html

This guy has it as his hazards:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1680&bih=878

12v plug?

Not sure?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/one9us/5247162410/

Temperature gauge?:

Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Pull the panel and see where the wires go. Chances are it's for some kind of aftermarket accessory. Let's see a pic.
Old 06-26-2011

Looks like he moved his hazard over to make a more accessible "engine start" button. Rather then having it on the passenger side he put it on the driver side (which makes more sense).

That looks like the stock "nothing is here right now, add what you want later" spot.

like this in our non si 7th gens (next to the 12v input):

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...aluminum-1.jpg
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Only thing I could find factory was #14: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0
Old 06-26-2011

There's no doubt in my mind that it's aftermarket. Just need to see a picture to know WHAT it is
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

Name:  get-attachmentaspx.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  21.8 KB

Heres you pic. It doesnt look aftermarket at all to me. maybe it is though. Id tear the dash apart but am not thatttt worried about it. maybe someone else has it who knows.
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shift-E
That looks like the stock "nothing is here right now, add what you want later" spot.

like this in our non si 7th gens (next to the 12v input):

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...aluminum-1.jpg
IIRC, that rounded rectangular popout is actually for a Fog Light Switch, for factory fog lights.
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Oght
Definitely aftermarket. I have one sitting on my computer stand right now, just too lazy to take and download a pic. lol

Only way to find out is to chase the wires- unless you switch it on and something happens.
Old 06-26-2011

Originally Posted by green01civic
IIRC, that rounded rectangular popout is actually for a Fog Light Switch, for factory fog lights.
Well not just for fog light, because I've got multiple spots to do so
Old 06-27-2011
Registered!!

Yeah in this case it isnt the fog lights. i have a switch by the cruise control for that. Ill chase it when i get a new head unit eventually. thanks for the efforts haha