7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Carbon Fiber Trunk Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Carbon Fiber Trunk Help

Did a quick search, but nothing jumped out at me. Need some tech advice on how to reduce the tension on a non-spoilered trunk spring/torsion bar/whatever it's called.

- Or - if anyone knows what specific length and/or model gas trunk assist shock (TEINs would be nice) that I would need for a carbon fiber trunk.

Presently, my trunk swings open with a vengence. Don't want to cause any damage, because of this.

Thanks for any pointers, advice, tips or info you may have in advance!

Here are few pics (pre-gap aligned) that I took in the shop today, getting a fresh satin clear on the hood, roof and trunk. Just need the darn retrofits to come in from NYC...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0182a.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	80999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0183a.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	81000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0184a.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	81001  
Old 06-09-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Carbon Fiber Trunk Help

use shocks inside. there is a DIY in here somewhere.
Old 06-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The aforementioned DIY,

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...nk-shocks.html

The carbon fiber looks great,the new headlights are going to compliment them really well!
Old 06-09-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MindBomber
The aforementioned DIY,

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...nk-shocks.html

The carbon fiber looks great,the new headlights are going to compliment them really well!
Thanks MindBomber and Sl33pyriceboi!
Old 06-09-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Just a heads up, finding where to mount the shocks on the trunk hinges themselves is a BITCH.
Old 06-09-2011
EM2ti

Looks like fairly simple. Grey used 40 lbs for his DIY. Not sure if I should I cut this down to 20lbs? I'm not certain of the weight difference between a VIS trunk and stock, but the stock trunk would "hover" about 6 inches when popped open. Now, my trunk looks like it'll smash through the backlight.
Old 06-09-2011
EM2ti

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Just a heads up, finding where to mount the shocks on the trunk hinges themselves is a BITCH.
Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll remove the springs for now, untill I get the DIY completed.
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

a quick fix would be to disconnect the torrsion bar all together being that carbon fiber is so light it should open very easily. also im curious why you painted it like that it looks like everything is primed but not painted i would have just left it original or color matched everything. edit ahh i didn't notice the roof i guess it ties everything together. be careful when you wash it or in the rain carbon fiber trunks tend to be slightly warped and can potentially let in water.
Old 06-09-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Looks like fairly simple. Grey used 40 lbs for his DIY. Not sure if I should I cut this down to 20lbs? I'm not certain of the weight difference between a VIS trunk and stock, but the stock trunk would "hover" about 6 inches when popped open. Now, my trunk looks like it'll smash through the backlight.
stock is somewhere in the ballpark of 22lbs and CF is 8lbs

i weight mine a while ago and those are the numbers i got.
Old 06-09-2011
EM2ti

Originally Posted by lowlife9
a quick fix would be to disconnect the torrsion bar all together being that carbon fiber is so light it should open very easily. also im curious why you painted it like that it looks like everything is primed but not painted i would have just left it original or color matched everything. edit ahh i didn't notice the roof i guess it ties everything together. be careful when you wash it or in the rain carbon fiber trunks tend to be slightly warped and can potentially let in water.
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. Speaking of car washes, that's why I went for an eggshell clear (satin) instead of full flat (dry carbon look). Dry carbon is a B--tch to keep clean and smudge free. Only hand wash or windex/isopropyl alcohol daily wipe down. Satin allows me to polish with minimum sheen. I comprised a bit on badass looks for practicality. I don't garage my car, this was the best option. It's hard to tell by the pics, but there is no mistaking the hood and trunk for primer. Fiber shows well.
Old 06-09-2011
EM2ti

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
stock is somewhere in the ballpark of 22lbs and CF is 8lbs

i weight mine a while ago and those are the numbers i got.
Wow. That's almost a third of the weight!
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

snap a close up pic . and how much did the shop charge for the hood paint ???
Old 06-09-2011
EM2ti

Monday photo shoot. Flying up to San Francisco tonight. Lights get installed when I get back. I believe it was $400 for just the hood. Not exactly sure because I had to paint two bumpers, my roof, trunk, hood and custom mounted OEM fogs. Total paint bill was $3400. Kamei Grill, Aerocatches, Honda fog kit, Optima battery tray, HID retro, ASR swaybar, VIS Trunk, Mugen Pedals and Oil Cap pushed my total bill to $6000+ in 10 days. I'm officially broke for the summer. Haha.
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

dam dude 6,000 thats a k swap rite there.
Old 06-10-2011
EM2ti

dam dude 6,000 thats a k swap rite there.
Haha. Got a K20 already. Waiting until my 10th anniversary to swap.
Old 06-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You officially need a build thread lol

In ten days you've spent more on mods than all these new kids bought their em2s for, I can't believe mine was close to $15k back in the day.
Old 06-10-2011
Registered!!

i think he won the lotteries. how are those T1Rs holding up ive heard some horror stories about those or did you just recently install them.

Last edited by lowlife9; 06-10-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2011
EM2ti

i think he won the lotteries. how are those T1Rs holding up ive heard some horror stories about those or did you just recently install them.
Haha. I wish I did. I just plan out what I want each year and budget for it. First year was $500. Second was $1000. Yes, this year was a little overboard, but I own my car outright. Imagine what you can do with that $300/month car payment, when it's all paid off? That's $3600! If you have a mod-fund like me, you'd be able to do the same. Yes, I could get a better car (WRX, Si, G35, BMW, etc.) but that's just higher payments and more expensive mods. Insurance goes up too. I'm just having fun along the way. Yeah its just a Civic, but I've got a badass civic, that I modded myself. I plan on keeping it for another 10 years+. That's what being a car enthusiast is all about. Not worrying about annual mileage, resale value, what better cars are out there, etc. It's about working on your car, personalizing it and driving the crap out of it.

As for the T1R rod ends, they were on briefly. I didn't get the right toe and camber with them on. I plan on using them again, once i get a custom set made from a guy on Club RSX. They do need periodic cleaning and lubing, which can be a pain in the butt. I still have way too much bumpsteer/tram-lining going on. Tie rod angle still needs to be reduced a bit more.

Last edited by maxtierney; 06-10-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2011
Registered!!

you can actually invert your stock tie rods but it involves using a step drill on your strut arms. i would love to get a pair of extended ball joints myself.

Last edited by lowlife9; 06-10-2011 at 05:45 AM.