7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2003 Honda Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kid Poker is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Honda Civic EX

OK I have a 03 Civic EX for about 2 years now, and I think it's about that time to start modding it. I don't want it to look like a total rice can as people say on the streets, but I want to add some performance to it. I'm lost as to where to start and what to do, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 2003 Honda Civic EX

What interests you?

A decent set of struts, lowering springs and a sway bar are a good place to start.
Old 05-30-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

start modding things you do not like about it. just kinda look around and get ideas from member rides pics. but it really depends what you want to change like lights, radio, engine, etc
Old 05-30-2011
Registered!!

I already somewhat changed the radio and lights, mainly looking something towards the engine
Old 05-31-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i guess you're looking at the big 3.

spray, forced induction or engine swap.

you can also do internals like a more aggressive cam shaft but internals are expensive for what you get out of them, or at least that's what i've read.

~spray is cheap but can be risky, but you will see power.
~FI is pricey and can be risky but will give you the most in HP gains
~swap is reallllly pricey but is a new stock engine and tran., so it will be far more reliable

you can find good kits for spray used for $500 or so around here, the other two options you might want to consider buying a new car with more power stock, unless you love your baby.

ps: if you make your car more aggressive, it'd be a good idea to upgrade the suspension parts an brakes, so they don't brake on you and send you into a tree.

what are you interested in?
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mac25
ps: if you make your car more aggressive, it'd be a good idea to upgrade the suspension parts an brakes, so they don't brake on you and send you into a tree.
Words to live by.
Old 05-31-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^ +1 rep'd you for that cam.

I'll build on what you mentioned in your post.

1. Spray is a very inexpensive and effective way to add power, it can get a bit expensive if you havea led foot though. The largest nozzle that's safe to run on stock internals is a 60hp shot.

2. Forced induction isn't THAT risky, you just need to do it right. That means k-pro ($1000), quality parts, dyno tuning, and not pushing the boost past what your stock internals can handle.

3. Minimum cost for a swap would probably be $4k.

4. A stage 1 cam is the best money anyone who's lightly modding their car can spend.
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
i guess you're looking at the big 3.

spray, forced induction or engine swap.

you can also do internals like a more aggressive cam shaft but internals are expensive for what you get out of them, or at least that's what i've read.

~spray is cheap but can be risky, but you will see power.
~FI is pricey and can be risky but will give you the most in HP gains
~swap is reallllly pricey but is a new stock engine and tran., so it will be far more reliable

you can find good kits for spray used for $500 or so around here, the other two options you might want to consider buying a new car with more power stock, unless you love your baby.

what are you interested in?
I mean my car is already at 140k mileage, and I love the way how it drives. I was gonna do an engine swap, but might do it towards when the car does start to die out.

As for Stage 1 cam, what is it? Sorry still a noob, but I guess I'll google around first.
Old 05-31-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Cam shafts are a part inside the top end of the engine, by swapping out your stock cam for a higher duration one you can make serious power gains. The higher duration a cam is the higher the stage is and the more aggressive your power gains will be, on an otherwise stock engine you can't install any higher than a stage 1. The stage 1 alone will give a 25hp power increase though, which considering an intake and exhaust might give 3-5hp is very significant.
Old 06-01-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i've been looking into bying the crower stage one, is it 25hp gained to the wheels? so th car will be sitting around 120hp to the wheels with only a stage 1? have you seen dyno's for stage two with hardware and a tune, what kind of gains?
Old 06-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I think i'm going to start a cam thread, cam. I'll post up dyno sheets there.

I know sandro just bought one so he'll be able to give you a nice review pretty soon.
Old 06-01-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I think i'm going to start a cam thread, cam. I'll post up dyno sheets there.

I know sandro just bought one so he'll be able to give you a nice review pretty soon.
Please do, I really want to learn about the benefits of an aftermarket camshaft in a civic