7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

timing belt help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thewal will become famous soon enough
timing belt help

HI,

I am chaging my timing belt but when i removed the old one i was slightly off TDC.

My question is can i adjust the cam and crank slightly to get them to TDC?

thanks
Old 05-21-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: timing belt help

You should be able to via the crankshaft bolt. I've never done a TB job though, but when we were in engines class, we had everything at TDC before we took everything apart. If you do need to rotate it, I've heard the belt should be on though. Hopefully one of the other guys can chime in.
Old 05-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

When I was researching for my timing belt I was told making a very slight adustment to get everything to TDC is alright, but it needs to be under a quarter turn I think. Hopefully josh or tom will chime in soon.
Old 05-21-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can move either pulley just make sure when you put the belt back on both are directly on TDC otherwise you will have big problems. The real danger is moving the cam gear far enough and with enough force that the valves come in contact with the pistons. I won't lie to you, you need a major amount of force to do this and it's hard to achieve with a ratchet. When I did my TB job my valves actually did contact the pistons while adjusting the cam gear and everything is still okay.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 05-21-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

Well I got a bigger problem. i managed to align the belt. When i put the tensioner on the bolt that came with it was too long and when i tightened it it stripped the treads out of the block. I am so F$$$$$$d

PLease help.
Old 05-21-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is a serious problem... I'd be lost at this point too I'd be afraid to tap into a block.
Old 05-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

How badly stripped are the threads?
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

half an inch of threads came off on the bolt.
Old 05-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Damn, it's sounds like you won't be able to retap it.

At this point, unless your comfortable doing it yourself, I'd have a mechanic install a helicoil.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-21-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

Nope. I was thinking either JB weld or tap inserts. After i beat the crap out of the honda guy.

any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I don't know if I'd want to use JB weld, it would probably work, but if it doesn't it would be a headache to get back in there and put the insert in..
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

Another option is to welts the hole. I know a guy that welds aluminum.
Old 05-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Whatever you do make sure that it's a damn good fix because if that tensioner bolt lets go bye bye engine... Sorry I don't have any better suggestions except maybe get a pro to fix it. That way if it breaks it's his fault not yours
Old 05-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tbohar
Sorry I don't have any better suggestions except maybe get a pro to fix it. That way if it breaks it's his fault not yours
Best advice so far.

If you can't find a mech to do it, I'd go with an insert and start saving for a new engine just in case.

Have fun, I don't envy you one bit.

Last edited by lazlong; 05-22-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Yea anything to do with the timing system of the car you want it to be 100% bang on... The smallest little thing can lead to a major failure... I hate to use Josh as an example again... he had a TDC sensor bolt loosen on him (small bolt IMO) and it caused his timing belt to slip off the pulley and bent all 16 valves... Don't mess around with this....
Old 05-22-2011
Registered!!

Looks like I will be getting a new engine. if you know of a place that has one let me know.
Old 05-22-2011
Registered!!

misterzee is an unknown quantity at this point

seems to me that a properly installed helicoil should work just fine. use threadlocker on the bolt when installing, and make sure you toeque everything to spec. Ive used them several times to repair stripped threads in exhaust manifold bolts in aliminum heads... aren't they used extensively in small aircraft engines and things like that?
Old 05-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by thewal
Looks like I will be getting a new engine. if you know of a place that has one let me know.
Wait, wait... why a new engine?

Have you tried the helicoil insert?
Old 05-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

You don't need a new engine yet !! If you do decide to replace it, you can probably get a block for much cheaper than a whole engine.. Junkyards FTW.
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

i am going to try time-serts apparently its what honda uses in a situation like this.

but I really do not feeling like pulling the engine out. if i have to i guess I will.
But i dont understand i did not even fully torque the damn bolt and the threads stripped. I hate aluminum blocks.
Old 05-24-2011
Registered!!

Well I spoke to the shop forman at honda dealer near my house, and they use helicoils, so he recomended that. he said he can do the job for me for 300.
Old 05-24-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ Go with that. It's expensive but, should be done right. I'm positive it's not the first time they've had to do inserts. lol
Old 05-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

$300 is crazy, just take it to an independent mechanic, installing a helicoil isn't rocket science.
Old 05-24-2011
Registered!!

it includes everything timing belt alternator belt power steering belt. as well as rocker cover and gasket. Basically put everything back together.
Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yes you can, you cant do full turns though. If you do you will see that it wont turn anymore and you could potentially do damage. However if your talking about a few teeth then you are fine.
Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Use a heli coil. they are cheap and they are really your best bet.
When the dealershit technician stripped out the top of my head where the valve cover goes he used this. They are strong. (****ing stupid mechanic)

Good luck and make sure you get the right size bolt and the same thread for the heli coil and the bolt!!

Last edited by 04 Honda Civic; 05-25-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by thewal
it includes everything timing belt alternator belt power steering belt. as well as rocker cover and gasket. Basically put everything back together.
That's a pretty decent price then, I'd go for it.
Old 05-26-2011
Registered!!

Well I got the car back, Honda shop forman said that he was able to put a helicoil in no problem. He said the bolt tightened fine.

Hopefully this will hold.