7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

10 Year Old Black Paint Restore

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jpfulton248 is an unknown quantity at this point
10 Year Old Black Paint Restore

I'm trying to sell my girlfriend's Black 02 EX but first it needs/needed a TON of work including functional and also cosmetic stuff. I'm now focusing on the paint and noticed yesterday that it is dull and hazy. Based on how much she abused the car in every other way I am guessing it hasn't ever seen a wax job. We live in Detroit where salt is definitely an issue.

What can I do that is easy and inexpensive to at least decently restore the paint?
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

thewal will become famous soon enough
Re: 10 Year Old Black Paint Restore

YOu can buy some turtle wax (paste wax) and give it a wax job.
Old 05-17-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Claybar...?
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by thewal
YOu can buy some turtle wax (paste wax) and give it a wax job.
Okay, yeah, that was my first and only thought but I figured there might be either an additional step or an alternative method that would yield better results.

Originally Posted by iSharix
Claybar...?
Is the claybar method appropriate for this kind of job? Specifically for 10 year old, dull, hazy paint?

I'm wondering if the haziness is a result of the clearcoat having been degraded and now the paint underneath is actually degrading. I'm wondering if now that it's gotten to this point there is no solution that will help except to fully repaint. If that's the answer then I'll know not to waste too much time with it or at least not to expect much...
Old 05-17-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Take pic of your car
Old 05-17-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

meguiars ultimate compound followed by ultimate wax. will bring the color right back.
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Take pic of your car
I'll post a pic or two ASAP.
Old 05-17-2011
CivicChick2001

civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gearbox
meguiars ultimate compound followed by ultimate wax. will bring the color right back.
I usually use the Turtle Wax brand.. i cant remember which type it was last.. but is this Meguiars stuff better? my car is the navy blue metallic lookin color and i just want it to "sparkle" again. and also, from being in the garage, and having people passing by, there are a few scratches on the doors.. does this Meguiars help that at all? cuz i know the turtle wax just leaves the scratches looking worse.. with the white wax just filling them in.. anyways, any advice helps, so thanks!
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by civicchick2001
I usually use the Turtle Wax brand.. i cant remember which type it was last.. but is this Meguiars stuff better? my car is the navy blue metallic lookin color and i just want it to "sparkle" again. and also, from being in the garage, and having people passing by, there are a few scratches on the doors.. does this Meguiars help that at all? cuz i know the turtle wax just leaves the scratches looking worse.. with the white wax just filling them in.. anyways, any advice helps, so thanks!
Meguiars makes some excellent products, it's quality stuff. With paint that has very light scratches, their "NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0" is probably the best wax. Deep scratches you will need to refinish (whether you just fill in with a paint pen, or go the whole nine yards and sand and spray), as there's no wax I know of that can hide a deep scratch.
Old 05-17-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

meguiars ultimate wax was made for metallic paint finishes. made my silver look like someone sprinkled glitter all over it lol
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Meguiars Ultimate Compound is a really good product i just finished a full detail on a friends 1990 toyota pickup that sat for years it brought the shine back no problem just make sure to pick up an orbital buffer they sell then at harbor freight tools for $20 dollars they also sell a foam buffing pad kit that i would recommend if you have no experience will buffing machines. if she has alot of chips and road rash get a paint repair kit from Dr color chip http://www.drcolorchip.com/ . then finnish up with Meguiars new ultimate wax.
Old 05-18-2011
CivicChick2001

civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all

sweet ill have to check em out then.. turtle wax just didnt seem to do nothin last time i used it, so definetly time to change products and i am gonna go with the Meguiars brand. I used to have a black, non metallic, color car and turtle worked on it, but then again, there were no shiney pieces like i have now.. so i'm prayin this stuff makes it look like "glitter" in my paint
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
just make sure to pick up an orbital buffer they sell then at harbor freight tools for $20 dollars they also sell a foam buffing pad kit that i would recommend if you have no experience will buffing machines
Yep, I have no experience with buffing machines. I found a 10" ryobi buffer at homedepot for $30. Any reason that wouldn't work? Also, please explain why form buffing pads are better if one doesn't have experience using a machine.

One more question... should I wash the car with detergent or something before starting in with the ultimate compound? I know detergent strips off wax etc. but i figure that might not be a bad thing since I'm building up a layer of wax right after.

Last edited by jpfulton248; 05-18-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Always wash and dry before a wax
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
Always wash and dry before a wax
Right... but with what? Detergent and water? Quarter wash soap? Just water?
Old 05-18-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by jpfulton248
i would use some form of auto soap. not a fan of using detergent on any car. i use armor alls new soap now, but just something like that. i'd stay away from detergent for sure tho.. just my 2 cents
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jpfulton248
Before waxing I would use dish detergent such as Dawn to wash the car. Dawn will strip/remove any old wax to prevent buildup. After waxing only use a car wash soap made for washing cars. Most companies that make wax also make a wash.
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I've used hand soap/water on cases like this before. Just use your judgment, you're looking for it to be a clean and dry as possible.

* For heavens sake, don't use a pressure washer.

* When using the buffer on old or beat up paint start with a very small place that's not real noticeable just in case it takes the paint off. If it does you're gonna have to do it by hand. (You'll have to go over it by hand after the buffer anyways.)

Last edited by lazlong; 05-18-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

When you wash the car use an old bath towel, the thicker the better. The goal is to get the dirt and grit away from the paint so that it doesn't leave scratches. A towel will let the dirt move up into the nap and away from the surface. Stay away from sponges, they rub the dirt into the paint.
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

foam pads won't burn the paint if you leave it in one spot to long like wool.and black cars are the hardest to work on plus you just using a light compound so foam is best if your were getting heavy scratches out wool would cut better . and yes always wash your car before any kind of buffing you could also clay bar for even better results.
Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

foam pads won't burn the paint if you leave it in one spot to long like wool.and black cars are the hardest to work on plus you just using a light compound so foam is best if your were getting heavy scratches out wool would cut better . and yes always wash your car before any kind of buffing you could also clay bar for even better results.
Okay, cool, sorry for my ignorance, and I promsed I really have done some searching before asking this question, but where can I find a polisher/buffer and foam pad that I can either "try and buy" or is inexpensive WITHOUT ordering online... I'd really like to be able to jump into this project this weekend and that means brick and mortar stores only. I searched like hell on autozone, pepboys, advance auto parts, o'reilly's, home depot and lowes but i really didn't find anything that I'm convinced is a proper option. I like the idea of this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

But as for 10" foam pads that are compatible I am lost... I have an orbital sander that is like 6" or so and has variable speed which uses a velcro system but I'm thinking that's not preferable. I'm such a noob but please help.
Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...kit-66713.html

"Use with a 1/4" or 3/8" drill."
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

Okay I've decided my plan of attack... I'm going to buy a Porter Cable 7346 from Lowes - http://bit.ly/jpKqaF (fortunately they have a nice return policy if I decide I don't have a use for it after using it for this project). From what I understand it comes with a velcro backer to allow for velcro pad compatibility. I'm going to pick up one or two of these:

Meguiar's Soft Buff 6.5" Foam Polishing Pad
Meguiar's Soft Buff 6.5" Foam Finishing Pad
Meguiar's Soft Buff 6.5" Foam Cutting Pad

though I really don't know which or what I should use or how many I'll need. I'm going to wash with Dawn (more specifically the crappy off-brand **** my cheap gf buys) first then use Meguiars Ultimate Compound, then use Meguiars Ultimate Wax. I"m guessing I'll use a cutting pad to apply the ultimate compound first, then let it sit and buff it off with a polishing pad. Then after it cures or whatever I'll apply the ultimate wax with the cutting pad (maybe after washing the pad???) and again buff that off with the finishing (or polishing) pad.

That's it I think?

Last edited by jpfulton248; 05-20-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think actual dawn has a special agent in it that removes wax. I remember reading that so I'd wash it with actual dawn not the cheap off brand I could be wrong but that's what I remember reading.
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

you dont let compound sit you apply to the pad then immediately start buffing. you only let the wax haze up then use a micro fiber cloth to remove it by hand not with the buffer only use very light pressure because micro fiber will scratch if you use to much pressure . there are a ton of miguires DIYs on youtube i suggests you watch them.also you should apply the wax by hand in small circular motions the miguires wax kit will come with a foam application pad.one more thing dont get any compound or wax on any black plastic its a bitch to get off if it dries.

Last edited by lowlife9; 05-20-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

one more thing dont get any compound or wax on any black plastic its a bitch to get off if it dries.
I agree, PITA.
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

c4zper is an unknown quantity at this point

I accidentally messed up the color of the trunk lid. I have a black civic. There were many scratches and one HUGE scratch across it (all due to the previous owner), so I tried to "sand, primer, paint, overcoat." Let's just say that it did not blend well. Now I need to repaint it professionally. So I decided to just paint the whole car to get a uniform look.