7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Urgent: Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Urgent: Car won't start

Hey my 2003 civic ex manual isn't starting. It was working fine last night but i tried turning it on this afternoon and nothing.

The lights come on but when you push the clutch and turn the key nothing happens, it's the same as if you turn the key without having the clutch engaged.

I bought the car about 2 months ago and it had a bad clutch so i knew it was dying, i was told to drive it till it was dead so i did. Do u think this is a clutch problem or something else? Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Urgent: Car won't start

If it was the clutch the only thing that would prevent the car from starting is if you werent making the clutch switch at the pedal. It's essentially not seeing that you have the clutch down. I don't think it's clutch related but you can check that switch. Probably a battery or a starter.
Old 05-01-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

I don't know how to check switches, sorry if that makes me sound really stupid i've just never had to do it before.

I don't think it's battery because the radio and stuff still comes on, but i tried to boost it anyways and nothing happened. As for the starter how much would it be to replace?

Is there anything i can do to help u guys figure out what this might be? Because i need to get to work tomorrow morning at 7 and this is my only way there ...
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Load test the battery ... Usually if it's the starter you will get some kind of noise though ... hmm... it isn't even cranking? Is the Immobilizer coming on the dash when you turn the key? I'm still leaning towards battery. If you have a second car in the family take it out and swap it into the civic and see if it starts. Ratings dont matte for one start, as long as you can hook it up. You have to rule the battery out before you do anything else.
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Oh yes I forgot to add even with a dead battery, it might have enough power to turn the lights on but not enough to crank the engine... That's why you still have to properly rule it out.
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i still think the clutch sensor - they need to be moved when adjusting the pedal after clutch change
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Ooo we will see Not often you see clutch sensors malfunction... buuut they do.
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

not a malfunction, maybe too far from the pedal or loose support
Old 05-01-2011
Registered!!

Ill reply to these one at a time lol

Originally Posted by tbohar
Load test the battery ... Usually if it's the starter you will get some kind of noise though ... hmm... it isn't even cranking? Is the Immobilizer coming on the dash when you turn the key? I'm still leaning towards battery. If you have a second car in the family take it out and swap it into the civic and see if it starts. Ratings dont matte for one start, as long as you can hook it up. You have to rule the battery out before you do anything else.
Nopeno cranking ... There's no sound at all being made when you try to turn it on. Like i said, it's the same as trying to turn on the car without pushing the clutch in... you get nothing :P

Originally Posted by tbohar
Oh yes I forgot to add even with a dead battery, it might have enough power to turn the lights on but not enough to crank the engine... That's why you still have to properly rule it out.
I don't think it's the battery but i won't rule it out as a possibility so i'll see ifi can get another battery andtest that tomorrow after work.

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
i still think the clutch sensor - they need to be moved when adjusting the pedal after clutch change
I haven't changed the clutch yet but i'm going to within a month. It might still need to be adjusted or something, i was driving it fine last night. I have no idea what might have caused to shift.

not a malfunction, maybe too far from the pedal or loose support
How would i fix that??
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Your clutch being toast would not prevent the car to starting. The clutch sensor would.
Old 05-01-2011
Registered!!

Yeah i know that, how do i check? Like i said before i've never had to look at sensors before so i don't know what to do :P
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

The switch should be right above the clutch pedal. The pedal should come in contact with it to make the car start.
Old 05-02-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sorry, i was off-line.
here:
Name:  clutchpedal.png
Views: 1048
Size:  139.7 KB
Old 05-02-2011
Whachya lookin at?

^oooo nice.. my bet is it's still the battery
Old 05-02-2011
Registered!!

Ill wait ill my dad gets home from work and after we vote (yea, its that day in canada) we'll try to change battery. I'll let u guys know how it goes this evening :P
Old 05-04-2011
Registered!!

So my dad towed the car to a garage yesterday morning ... and my uncle inspected it and found out the cpu was defected. So they were either going to buy a new one for $800 or a used one for $250. They ended up taking the $250, and my dad paid for it and i owe him the money. So without telling me my dad spend $250 of my dollars lol. But oh well the car is running really nice now Next up is my clutch which is almost dead
Old 05-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Holy crap talk about worst case scenerio.. sorry man I never would have though... Good job finding an ECU for 250!!
Old 05-04-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate computers. They are great, but always fail/PITA when you need them most!
Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

Yeah i'll say it was worst case lol. I definitely didn't expect it. And repairs cost a lot more than i was hoping lol
Old 05-05-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

ouchie... not common, that...
Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

ouchie... not common, that...
Is it highly uncommon? Because i'm having bad luck with this car
Old 05-06-2011
Whachya lookin at?

You here the odd case on here every once in a while but definitely not common.
Old 05-06-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Yea, every single car is different. You could and a friend could buy the same car at the same time brand new from the dealer and a week later yours might have a problem(like computer, transmission failure, something ridiculously uncommon) while his doesn't. It's really just a matter of luck at that point :P