7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Front hub removal?

Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FrankMazzarella is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Front hub removal?

About a week ago i discovered that i have a stripped lug nut stud on my front drivers tire. I decided to take the car to a local shop to have the stud replaced. But to my disappointment they seem to have "fixed" the stud and gave it a lug nut that will only work on that stud. when i took it off there were metal shavings all over it.

As you would imagine i am extremely aggravated, i guess thats why i usually try to do everything myself (like replacing my alternator earlier this week). So im going to have to deal with that shop on my own time but i was wondering if somebody would be able to explain the process of removing the hub on my 2004 LX so i can hammer a new stud in there. I got as far as removing the brakes and rotor.

Thanks a lot!! (and i promise to make a nice little write-up of what i did, including pictures)
Old 04-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front hub removal?

I made a ball joint DIY that will help you remove the knuckle, I'm pretty sure you have to remove the knuckle to remove the stud... After that I believe they are pressed in so getting it out is a bit of a PITA but definitely doable.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...necessary.html

I'd check the Honda manual for you but I'm late for work!!!

Last edited by BlueEM2; 04-23-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Unfortunately, you can't hammer the stud out on our model civic while the hub is still on the car. You need to remove the hub from the car and separate it, then you could set it on a couple wood blocks, hammer the stripped stud out and pull a new one in.
Old 04-22-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

here
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...mage-help.html

and just in case, but this is a 6th gen and the thing being pressed in is a bushing, but same process.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-22-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

To the OP: Hammer the stud in as far as you can, put everything back together, put the wheel on and tighten it until the stud seats.

To everyone else: Don't harp on me for my shadetree tricks. I've done it this way dozens of times with no problem. You know who I'm talkin to. lol
Old 04-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL well said