7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alternator Question - Champion!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bars92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator Question - Champion!

I have a question about alternators in a 2002 Civic LX 1.7L automatic.

My charging light came on and I took my vechicle to Canadian Tire where they replaced my OEM alternator with a 'Champion' alternator.

Although the car seemed fine, the light remained on and I took it back and they put in another brand new Champion. The charging light remained on.

I went to another garage where the mechanic diagnosed that all circuits perform as expected but the alternator has the wrong regulator and is not grounding the control wire.

I am thinking I will have to go to Honda and get them to verify this. And will need an OEM alternator.

Does anyone have experience with non-OEM alternators in their 2002?

I am also wondering if the wrong regulator will cause damage to my car? as I have been driving it like this for some time.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Alternator Question - Champion!

Not enough voltage to the computer can hurt it.

I've always taken the OEM one to the alternator guy in town here. Same day service and it costs about $50.
Old 04-21-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea getting your OEM rebuilt is the besy way to go if it can be done. If it can't, spend the money on an OEM replacement unfortunatly to avoid problems.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Yeah the original OEM is gone for sure. Dunno what they did with it. The idiots at Canadian Tire have no clue...They just rely on their inventory system and the model they stuck in there is the only option for my car.

I'm thinking that i'll have to go to Honda to verify it has the wrong regulator and its not some other electrical problems...

The other mechanic I went to had the Honda specs in front of him and he said the alt was not sending the right voltage to the computer. So this is sounding like what you guys said. Thanks for the input
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you gave them your oem alternator there going to have it refurbished and sell it probably back to you dam. you could always get a used one at a salvage yard there fairly common parts try looking here http://www.car-part.com/
Old 04-21-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i have a napa alternator in my 02 and its lasted at least twice as long as the oem did.
Old 04-21-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Napa is badass though. It's about the only place I trust for aftermarket parts.
Old 04-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i love napa, they always have stuff i cant find at the other auto stores. and most of their aftermarket parts are the best.
Old 04-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Most of their "Premium" parts are only a few dollars more expensive than their regular stuff too... and almost all of it is made in Japan.
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i used to work for napa i still have napa stocks lol.
Old 04-24-2011
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

I have Napa as well. It's still working very well in my 04. The first time the shop replaced the wrong alternator judging by the shape and the light still blinked sometimes. I bought it back and they replaced it again. This time it looks the same. It's still running great so far.
Old 05-26-2011
Registered!!

So, I purchased an OEM alternator and took it back to Crappy Tire and got them to install that. They refunded me the money for their crappy Champion. But the charging light remained on with the OEM alternator. Then I went to the Honda dealership and they said that Crappy Tire has messed up the wiring of the alternator. So my car is at Honda right now while they try to troubleshoot what the problem is.