7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

New Hood-Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough
New Hood-Need advice

I'm replacing my stock hood because it's all rusty. I'll be rattlecanning it. The rust on the old one started in the crimping on the sides. What can I do so that doesn't happen again? Also--what grit paper should i sand the hood with before I start primering it. After primer should I sand that before painting?
Old 04-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Hood-Need advice

you want to get all the rust out first and rust dissolver gel works great for that. as for the hood, sand it down to bare metal first. you can start with course sandpaper and move your way to finer grit once the paint is stripped off. you want the metal to be nice and smooth to the touch. then spray two coats of primer, the best is the thick kind that fills in small gaps that sanding missed. once the primer is fully dried, you should wetsand it with very fine sandpaper to get it nice and smooth. not so much that you start removing all the primer. you just want it super smooth because any imperfections will show up when you spray the paint. finally, you can spray a few coats of color. start out with light coats and then make the final coat medium wet (but not dripping). let that dry, then spray on a few layers of clear coat. the type of spray can you use determines how smooth the paint job is. most rattle cans in the store wont be great but prolly work okay. after the clear dries, you can wetsand that too or use rubbing compound to bring out the shine.
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

Thanks... I'm actually replacing the hood with a new one though and starting form scratch. I can't get rid of the old rust because it is in the crimping so I would actually have to uncrimp and recrimp the outer edges of the hood. I wanted to know how to make sure it doesn't rust in the crimping again.
Old 04-20-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... You bought a new hood for X amount of money and your going to spray paint it? I suggest you get it professionally painted because its a brand new hood. Your rattle can job will star to chip and the paint will peel in no time. The hood is an impact area it's not a good idea to have a crappy paint job on it or your replacing it for nothing.
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

Getting the hood for $100 I'm one of those people that believe a spray paint job will be just fine as long as it's done the right way.
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

yea i wouldn't rattle can a new hood. the paint won't last and it will look like complete crap compared to the rest of the body.
Old 04-20-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the first rock chip you get will open up and grow and grow until its huge. That's what happens with spray paint in an impact area like a hood or a bumper.
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

I'm a college student. I'll take a chance with the rattlecan because I'm not going to pay $400 for a paint job on the hood. I can't afford it and it's not worth it on a car I bought for $3400. I just hope it looks semi-decent. It doesn't have to be perfect. Hope you're wrong about it peeling off though.
Old 04-20-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

What color are you painting the hood?
If white/black, I highly recommend not using rattle can, and going rustoleum method instead

There is this spray though, that changes rust to primer, I would probably use that, sand it smooth, then rustoleum the whole damn thing

References ($50 paint job):
http://www.rickwrench.com/index79.htm

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by got2run5
I'm a college student. I'll take a chance with the rattlecan because I'm not going to pay $400 for a paint job on the hood. I can't afford it and it's not worth it on a car I bought for $3400. I just hope it looks semi-decent. It doesn't have to be perfect. Hope you're wrong about it peeling off though.
My situation exactly. Your not alone! But with no need for a new hood. I figure the internals will go cuh-put before I generate cash for a new paintjob lol.
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

get a carbon fiber hood you don't need paint and it will never rust.
Old 04-20-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lowlife9
get a carbon fiber hood you don't need paint and it will never rust.
That costs $400 and will eventually oxidize =/
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i see used hoods going around 200-250 from salvage yards you mite get lucky and find one in good shape and your color http://www.car-part.com/
Old 04-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah maybe just get a used hood and it will already be painted. check local scrapyards
Old 04-21-2011
Whachya lookin at?

^Good thinking there. Sounds like he already bought the hood tho!
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

yeah but he could always return it ??. if i was you i would at least pick up a paint gun kit there really cheap at harbor freight tools you could also buy a compressor there and return it when your done lol.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

If i were you i would get the new hood your looking at and go to a couple body shops and ask how much just to paint it. if the hood is off the car and the painter doesnt have to sand or do any prep work it wont be as expensive as you think. I have a guy that would do it probably for 75 to 100$ including 100% matched paint. ask around you may be suprised. But the paint a body shop uses is way more durable and will last way longer then a rattlecan. Your gonna spend a good $50 bucks maybe more to rattlecan it yourself I think you could find a shop to shoot it for $100.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

I think mako will paint the whole car for $500. They only shoot it though soo if you do alll the sanding and prep work you could actually get an OK paint job. Im not saying to paint your whole car Im just saying think about it $500 for whole car. THink about how easy it would be to spray a hood off the car you dont need to mask it or anything. just hang it in the booth and shoot it. If you were close i have a pretty descent gun id shoot it for $50
Old 04-21-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Originally Posted by lowlife9
yeah but he could always return it ??. if i was you i would at least pick up a paint gun kit there really cheap at harbor freight tools you could also buy a compressor there and return it when your done lol.
I've tried this method.. you need a huge compressor (40+ gallon) or it sprays like **** and you can only spray for about 3 seconds lol...
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
I've tried this method.. you need a huge compressor (40+ gallon) or it sprays like **** and you can only spray for about 3 seconds lol...
3 seconds you must be doing it wrong.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Yea You get a pressure regulator and turn the pressure down to between 28-40 psi that way you don't just empty the tank you could paint with a 5 gallon tank if you want. but if you have the gun hooked up direct without a regulator 1. your gonna have way too much pressure and 2. your gonna run out of air quick. Plus your pressure wont be consistent which is necessary to get an even coat of paint
Old 04-26-2011
Registered!!

Thanks... maybe I'll look more into having a small shop do it. I was going to do it last Thursday but the guy I order stuff from said the hood was backordered and wouldn't have it until today. So... I'm going to wait til summer break b/c I'm not home any more until then. As for the spray that turns iron oxide into iron phosphide---tried that. Hood is too far gone in the crimping for that to work.
Old 04-26-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Great I learned a little about air tools there... hmm.. wait a minute, my tank has a regulator on it and it still sprayed like ****.. but then again I used a very cheap paint gun, maybe ill try again.