7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Acura EL strange noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HG-2003Civvy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Acura EL strange noise from rear

My uncle has a 2004 Acura 1.7 EL and only when he hits a speed bump or turns the corner, the rear end makes a popping noise and a slamming sensation. It sounds like stuff rattling around in the trunk almost but its not. Looking for some help guys. Maybe someone has experienced this or knows? I'm guessing something with suspension but..
BTW it has 245,000km but mostly highway, not abused.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Acura EL strange noise from rear

check rear swaybar endlinks for play
moog is a good aftermarket ones, replace the fronts too if you going to do rears anyway
Old 04-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Could also be broken mounts
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

Wouldn't genuine honda parts be better? Or is this a case where aftermarket actually outlasts oem style. I'll have to find a price for oem but moog seems good on the wallet. So is there any other preventative maint. that should be done while replacing the rear sway if its the problem. Just trying to bounce ideas around of what else in case
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

Kenny- You mean engine mounts? Its coming from the rear though. Could you explain abit to help me out
thanks
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HG-2003Civvy
Wouldn't genuine honda parts be better? Or is this a case where aftermarket actually outlasts oem style. I'll have to find a price for oem but moog seems good on the wallet.
yup - check the pics of the moogs compared to OEM and tell us which seems sturdier

Kenny meant the top mounts of the struts, but popping sounds more sway bar endlinks. Anywa, check them, if not potentially its the top mounts.

While down there, inspect bushings as well for tears or cracks and other apparently loose pieces

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-18-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Kenny- You mean engine mounts? Its coming from the rear though. Could you explain abit to help me out
thanks
he means rear strut mounts.
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

^ beat you by a minute
Old 04-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
^ beat you by a minute
Just cause you edited your post
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

muwahahaha!
that's why i discounted 1 minute from the difference :P
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

Learning little by little lol..thanks for clearning that up guys. And yeah about those moog vs oem.. Holy S**T what a difference, they look really strong. I'm guessing theres a DIY for this, I'll be checking tonight
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to thread jack but I got a similiar noise going on. Anytime I hop in the car or hop out my rear-left goes (rrrrrrrrrttttttt).Imagine a long, drawn out fart.

Its annoying when you got some tail in your passenger seat, but thats about it.

Thats the only time it makes noise. I think my car is telling me to lose weight or get rid of the subs.
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

parking brake?
if not, top mounts, but then they would make some noise when driving.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-18-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

And yeah about those moog vs oem.. Holy S**T what a difference, they look really strong. I'm guessing theres a DIY for this, I'll be checking tonight
told yah!
Hex keys to hold them from spinning (or was that for 2nd gen miata? can't remember now...), insert the keys well to not to damage them. if there is not hex key holes, i think you can use a pry bar to hold in place if they start spinning. I can't search well the last few days, done too much searching the net since friday...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-18-2011 at 10:14 PM.