7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

01-03 front lisence plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maverickmonk is an unknown quantity at this point
01-03 front lisence plate

Alright, so I've had my 03 sedan for half a year now, but one particular thing about the front end still bothers me. There's that blasted front lisence plate block on the bumper! It's absolutely maddening as far as the looks of the front end in my opinion, and combined with the slotted upper grill is a main contributer to the "econo-mom" appearence of the car. Luckily the grill is a simple fix, and I'm currently working on painting up an eBay "type r" grill so the trim around it is bodymatched, but there is still the question of the blasted lisence plate mount!

Do I give in and put a decorative lisence plate over it?

Do I cut it out and fiberglass over it from the back? (I considered this, but I fear that between the abs, the fiberglass, and the bondo, all the different expansion/contraction rates of the materials would inevitably lead to the paint cracking)

Is there another option I'm overlooking? (No, I don't want some rice aftermarket bumper) Or is it best to just embrace the mediocraty and live with it?
Old 04-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 01-03 front lisence plate

having a decorative plate there is even worse - i took mine off.
Old 04-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

see mine fishbowl window here:
Name:  Afterlowering-1.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  77.1 KB

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-17-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

A few members have cut that section of the bumper out and laid fiberglass over the hole, it's not difficult it just takes a significant amount of time and you need to have the bumper repainted.
Old 04-17-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

a few states without front plate requirements dont have that hump, but good luck finding a bumper like that. idk, it doesnt look that bad lol
Old 04-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearbox
idk, it doesnt look that bad lol
Thanks?
It is not evident depending on the light angle

this ones appears a little more

Some others show a little more...

Darn... I need more pics than the autoX...
Old 04-17-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely remember a dude shaved his off some years back. Cut it out, 'glassed the hole and smoothed with bondo. Looked pretty good, but I think he said the time involved wasn't worth it
Old 04-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Yeah, I remember reading that thread.. he said all the work took him about two days.
Old 04-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maverickmonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright, many thanks!
and that's a nice looking coup there! Unfortunately it sticks out more in satin silver. The fact that there's 4 holes in it probably doesn't help. I may just bondo the holes, spray it and call it a day
Old 04-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Maverickmonk
it sticks out more in satin silver.
hunh... have to agree on that...
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

or you could swap on a 04-05 front end it will cost a bit more but it will work. you can check ebay,junk yards craigslist or buy after market parts here real cheap www.certifit.com.