7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What Clutch & Flywheel

Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99blackrt is an unknown quantity at this point
What Clutch & Flywheel

Hi there,

I'm needing to replace my clutch in my 03 civic d17a1. Wondering what is a good brand clutch for these cars? I only have header, cai, and high flow exhaust w/o cat or resinator. I do drive my car like a race car once in a while even though I know its not that fast.

Would I benefit from a stage 2 clutch and lighter flywheel? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

TIA!
Chad
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

Re: What Clutch & Flywheel

TTT

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.
Old 04-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

A light weight fly wheel is a huge benefit, it reduces weight directly at the crank and that's where it really counts unlike silly carbon fiber hoods and seats. It give a nice little bump through the entire power band, but especially in low rpms as your accelerating.
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

So what would be a good flywheel and clutch to go with then? I have no idea what the stock flywheel weight is. Is there any downside to a lighter flywheel like longevity?
Old 04-09-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the mass of the flywheel is suppoed to keep engine from changing its momentum. If it is spinning, it will tend to keep spinning.
reducing the mass will:
1) make rev up or down easier, so acc will be better.
2) coasting will drop, some hill climb will require more gas to keep going up.
Longevity - there is enough metal there, no changes.
Stage 2 might be too much if no power adder like turbos or nitros. will make heavy pedal
find stage 1 and some not much reduction flywheel. you will thank that on a traffic jam.
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

honda jay is an unknown quantity at this point

Right now i have the ZOOM RACING flywheel that is 7lbs zoom is the same company as Fadanza u can get it at www.summitracing.com the cost is about $275 and the Exedy stage 1 you can get at www.passwordjdm.com but where i got my stage 2 Exedy 3 puck ceramic was ebay and that was about $500 plus tax hope this helps (note that the stage 2 will shimmer a little on take off due to the 3 pucks)
Old 04-09-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

7lbs? that is light...
Old 04-09-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

yea, they range from 7lbs-11lbs for the aftermarket ones.
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by honda jay
Right now i have the ZOOM RACING flywheel that is 7lbs zoom is the same company as Fadanza u can get it at www.summitracing.com the cost is about $275 and the Exedy stage 1 you can get at www.passwordjdm.com but where i got my stage 2 Exedy 3 puck ceramic was ebay and that was about $500 plus tax hope this helps (note that the stage 2 will shimmer a little on take off due to the 3 pucks)
Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the Stage 1 clutch you suggested. What is the stock flywheel weight? In your opinion is that light flywheel a PIA in stop/go traffic?
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

honda jay is an unknown quantity at this point

The factory flywheel is about 20lbs from what i can remember. i dont have any problems in stop and go traffic and ive had it for about 3yrs. Basic bolt ons i would go with the stage 1 to as sdaidoji sujested the only reasion i went stage 2 is begause of the cam
Old 04-09-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

The factory flywheel is about 20lbs from what i can remember. i dont have any problems in stop and go traffic and ive had it for about 3yrs. begause of the cam
basically you have around 25 more ponies and more torque, so ;likely you will feel less the impact of 13lbs less in the flywheel. - i would hold meself to 12 or some lbs but that's just me
thanks for the stock weight numbers, that gives more insight
Old 04-12-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Oh, yeah, i just found this:
some info on clutch/flywheel

http://www.xproductionz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=948
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

The factory flywheel is about 20lbs from what i can remember. i dont have any problems in stop and go traffic and ive had it for about 3yrs. Basic bolt ons i would go with the stage 1 to as sdaidoji sujested the only reasion i went stage 2 is begause of the cam
Just read the write up that got posted. Did you notice a big difference in your ability to start out in 1st gear meaning did you notice you had to rev the car up more for a smoother start? Looking at purchasing an Exedy Stage 1 clutch with a Fidanza 7lb racing flywheel.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

civicexracer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 99blackrt
Hi there,

I'm needing to replace my clutch in my 03 civic d17a1. Wondering what is a good brand clutch for these cars? I only have header, cai, and high flow exhaust w/o cat or resinator. I do drive my car like a race car once in a while even though I know its not that fast.

Would I benefit from a stage 2 clutch and lighter flywheel? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

TIA!
Chad
There is no need for you to have more than a Stage 1 clutch. Anything more is way overkill, you're not making a lot of power..

I can only speak for Exedy from personal experience. I've had them in 2 different cars(civic and neon) and I bought another Exedy to put in my daily driver this summer. Excellent products.

So what would be a good flywheel and clutch to go with then? I have no idea what the stock flywheel weight is. Is there any downside to a lighter flywheel like longevity?
The only real downside I've noticed on a Stage 1 Exedy clutch/light flywheel is that in between shifts, the engine drops revs faster. This isn't really a problem at all though, nothing to worry about. A Stage 1 clutch should theorectically last as long or longer than your OEM clutch/flywheel. Simply because the clutch friction surface is better and you're less likely to be slipping the clutch.

Just read the write up that got posted. Did you notice a big difference in your ability to start out in 1st gear meaning did you notice you had to rev the car up more for a smoother start? Looking at purchasing an Exedy Stage 1 clutch with a Fidanza 7lb racing flywheel.
Stage 1 clutch has a slighty harder clutch pedal. It might take a little time to get used to but it's no big deal for normal driving. However you do start to feel it more in heavy traffic, but again it's not a big deal. I wouldn't go too light with a flywheel, like I said the revs drop faster with even a stage 1 clutch/flywheel(IIRC the one I used was ~11lbs). With a 7lb flywheel, the car might be a bit harder to drive.