7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

ATF Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
ATF Questions

what is the proper procedure for checking the ATF level?....warm? cold? engine running? engine off?....i have checked it with the engine idling and with the engine off and i basically get the same level/result so does it matter?

and when you change the fluid is it just a simple drain and fill? or is there more to it then that? how much fluid does it take after i drain it? i dont think simply removing the drain plug would get all the fluid out?
Old 03-29-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about
Re: ATF Questions

Check idling. Empty tranny takes about 6 quarts. Drain takes about two since it doesn't completely empty. You have to take out exactly what you put back in. I fill old milk gallons with the old fluid and then fill other milk gallons with the new fluid and put back just more than what was taken out. Good way to check if you have enough fluid is if you shift into drive and you clutch catches. The car should move on its own, if not it's low on fluid.
Old 03-29-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mikey1
what is the proper procedure for checking the ATF level?....warm? cold? engine running? engine off?....i have checked it with the engine idling and with the engine off and i basically get the same level/result so does it matter?

and when you change the fluid is it just a simple drain and fill? or is there more to it then that? how much fluid does it take after i drain it? i dont think simply removing the drain plug would get all the fluid out?
when checking ur ATF, make sure ur engine is at operating temp to have the ATF evenly flow throughout.

when you change ur ATF, u will only be able to take 3qt out. your total ATF capacity is 9qts.
Old 03-29-2011
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

ahh ok wasn't 100% sure, thanks sleepy
Old 03-29-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

make sure you run the car moderately at least 30 mins. when the engine is warmed up, the trans is nowhere near full warmup. park on a level surface, cycle thru the gears, then put it in P and check the fluid level a few times. you have to be very fast putting in and pulling out the dipstick like less than a second to get a good reading. oil line should be at the top of the hash marks.
Old 03-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

thanks everybody....so its not possible to drain the entire tranny?....you can only drain a bit at a time?
Old 03-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
richs1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

No you have to drain, fill and drive three times. Also the manual states to check atf fluid with the engine off. After the engine and trans are warmed up.
Old 03-29-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

total capacity is 9qts, but only 3qts comes out the drain plug.