7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just want to confirm something

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
Just want to confirm something

Because our cars have fuel shutoff, I can take my foot off the gas completely, push in the clutch and before the revs drop to idle, downshift, and use no gas in the process. correct?
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jponto07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just want to confirm something

I keep hearing this around the forum, but honestly it doesn't make any sense...how would the engine keep running without ANY gas?
Old 03-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if car is geared, engine will be spinning. Maybe there is a minimum amount of fuel injected?
Anyway, ever seem a prius moving only on electric power? then suddenly the petrol engine starts running wihtout cranking? same thing, no starter is required. Software is a flexible thing. Hardware not so much

MPG numbers should prove the point anyway.
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

op dont quite get what you are trying to say. the prius dosent use a starter because the electric motor is an oversized starter motor and the engine is still turning there is just no fuel or air going inside the engine until the computer allows fuel and air into the engine.
Old 03-28-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Muirsy
op dont quite get what you are trying to say.
I read around here that we have fuel cutoff when we release the gas pedal, because the momentum of the car will keep the engine running as long as the car is in gear (ie not in neutral and at idle revs while "rolling" down the highway).

So lets say I'm cruising down the highway, and I know my exit is right up ahead, and instead of using the brakes, I want to know if I can:
  • Release the gas to engage the fuel cutoff (the car will stay at around 3000 RPM at 110km/h
  • Disengage in the clutch. The revs will start dropping from 3000 to idle
  • But before the revs reach idle, shift into 4th and engage the clutch, so that the car never gets to idle, and effetely doesn't need to turn off the fuel cutoff because I still haven't touched the gas and it didn't drop to idle.
  • Continue down shifting like this until 2nd gear or until I come to a stop or need to touch the brakes.

Last edited by Brian1037; 03-28-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

key word momentum. the car is already moving and the crank is turning.
Old 03-29-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

you will have one hard down shift and a crap ton of jerky.ness.

it does more bad than good, and here's why:

you will blow ur front motormount our faster due to the hard shift in engine

and

you will wear out clutch faster (compared to rev matching)

any time u downshift, you should be rev matching your gear weather it is blipping the trottle or head/toeing.
Old 03-29-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

so therefore its not really worth saving a few vapors of gas to achieve your "not wasting gas goal."

it's completely pointless
Old 03-29-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
head/toeing.
sl33py, guess you are sleepy
Old 03-29-2011
Sedans > Coupes

I just looked some stuff up and it turns out I wasn't downshifting properly. Thanks sl33py, now I'm aware of how to properly do it. Good thing I wasn't doing it this way for too long.