7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

resonator delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mpapers22 is an unknown quantity at this point
resonator delete

Ok, so I have an HKS axle-back and it really is very quiet, more than I expected it to be. I know im gonna get hate because "quiet is better" but I just want to be able to hear that lovely engine when im not mashing the gas pedal lol but anyway I heard that a resonator delete will make it a little louder from other threads on the forum. Only thing is when i went to a local muffler shop, the guy turned me down. He said that if I cut out the resonator the reduced backpressure would cause me to blow my engine by throwing off air/fuel ratios or something unless I had a turbo. He said he loved hondas (he drove a boosted teg) and said I shouldnt do it. Is this true, because I've seen threads about it and never saw anything about blowing an engine after a res delete. Anyone know/hear about anything like this?
Old 03-25-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: resonator delete

exhaust resonator is purely to delete certain sound frequencies. the cat has more back pressure than the resonator. only side effect of removing it is a louder and possibly terrible sounding exhaust.
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

It won't hurt your car, but I wouldn't do it.
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

im thinking about doing it on my apexi cat back.. but im gunna unbolt the resonator and have a pipe made then bolt it in the resonator's place so if i dont like it i can just put the resonator back in.
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

I would have got a catback but I have an 05 lx and the only 2 I could find were magnaflow and dc sports. Wasnt really interested in either of em. But my only question is why would he say this if its not true. He worked at the largest, most trusted muffler shop in my area and seemed like he knew his ****. He even refused my money because he didn't want me blowing up my engine.
Old 03-26-2011
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

The random and others are the best. They wont blow your engine up dude.

The cheap ones will make your exhaust sound ricey at times.
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tragedy
The random and others are the best. They wont blow your engine up dude.

The cheap ones will make your exhaust sound ricey at times.
I was talkin about cutting out the stock resonator causing the engine damage, i already have an hks axle-back. And random and other what, catbacks?
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mpapers22
I would have got a catback but I have an 05 lx and the only 2 I could find were magnaflow and dc sports. Wasnt really interested in either of em. But my only question is why would he say this if its not true. He worked at the largest, most trusted muffler shop in my area and seemed like he knew his ****. He even refused my money because he didn't want me blowing up my engine.
He probably didn't want a car to leave his shop that sounded like crap, that would give him bad rep.
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Haha yeah could be, does it really sound that bad? I heard with the hks it sounds really good