7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Turbo kits

Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skaterboy2214 is an unknown quantity at this point
Turbo kits

Ok I'm looking at buying a turbo kit I found a Jdm turbo kit an was wondering if they are any good
Old 03-17-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turbo kits

Japan never released a 7thgen turbo civic, thus there can't be a real "JDM" turbo kit..

That said, you got a link to the kit? I'm wondering if you found a ebay kit with cheap turbo components
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

I'm just talking bout the turbo it self not complete kit sorry for confusion
Old 03-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

again, there's no real JDM turbo for a civic.. so.. Got a link?
Old 03-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Unless your buying used OEM parts, like off a DSM, you should expect to pay a minimum of $3000 for any proper turbo set-up.
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

It's a friend that has the turbo so no link
Old 03-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

look to see if there are any serial numbers, codes on it.
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

Ok will do my friend had it on his 2000 civic an said it works great but don't want to mess up my car
Old 03-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

well, if you plan on just sticking it in your car with no real research on how to properly do a turbo setup, yea, you're gonna ruin something. Regardless if it works great or not (especially on a different engine), you're putting extra stress on an engine not really designed for it.

Do a good amount of homework on it before you take on the task or you'll end up paying for it in the long run.

at a minimum, you need to look into larger injectors and PROPER engine management. In a turbo setup, most of your money should be invested in engine management and proper tuning.
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

I know that much I already rebuild my top end an changed my injectors to 550 cc injectors so I know I got more to do but was just wondering on the turbo cuz my friend was giving me a deal on it I was only going to run 8 psi boost
Old 03-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

what you got goin for engine management?

edit: I'm just making sure. A lot of people come here, with zero knowledge of turbos, wanting to slap a turbo on without much else. I was like that years back, turbo'd for a year, took it off due to complications, and have been since learning
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

What exactly do you mean I'm still in research for this not to big knowledge on it
Old 03-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

how you gonna control those injectors/maintain a proper air fuel ratio for happy turbo operations?

piggyback unit, standalone, crossing your fingers and voodoo magic? lol
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

Ok well going to get a a fuel management system but not sure on the air fuel unless you could have any ideas
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

I have a new fuel pump an pressure regulator but no clue what else
Old 03-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

to control the air fuel ratio, you need a proper fuel management unit/engine management system.

A popular EMS of choice is the Hondata k-pro, but it's tuning capability comes with a hefty $1000 price tag, and that's on top of the cost to get the donor k-series ECU. Really, it's a small price to pay to make sure you get the most, safest power out of your engine. That's a standalone unit.

Another standalone unit is the AEM EMS, but I haven't seen many people run it on the D17. That also comes with quite the price tag of $1500 or so.

As far as piggybacks go, there's the AEM FI/C (which I've heard pretty good things about), the GReddy emanage, the A'PEXi VAFC-II, the A'PEXI Neo, the list goes on.. All those go for some 300-500 each. The downside to a piggyback is that the entire time it's trying to modify the signal from the ECU to various engine functions, your ECU's going to be adjusting itself, trying to make sure the engine is seeing what it's supposed to. In a sense, the piggyback is going to be battling the ECU the entire time..

If you want to get the most out of your turbo, and keep your engine from a premature death, I'd get the k-pro. Just make sure you find someone that knows what they're doing with tuning.

edit: With the fuel pump, the Walboro 255LPH pump is what everyone seems to be getting. You can pull off the stock pump if you're only planning for 8psi, but if you want to have some wiggleroom for safety and redundancy, the extra $100 pump wouldn't hurt. A return-style fuel system conversion wouldn't hurt to look at, either.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 03-17-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

O ok well that is a lot of help to me an thanks at least I know I'm on the right path for it
Old 03-17-2011
Administrator
Administrator

no problem man. I'm just trying to help people out so they don't go the same route I went.

There's plenty of knowledge here: Forced Induction and Swaps, particularly in the stickies at the top of the forum. If you got anymore questions, just ask.
Old 03-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If your running 550cc injectors currently with no form of engine management you will damage your engine.
Old 03-18-2011
Registered!!

I'm not running with them just have them
Old 03-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Wait, you have a 2002 Civic?!

A good engine management system will cost you a minimum of $1k.. $1600 if you buy it new and if you don't buy a good one (kpro) you will hurt your engine and have breakdowns.
Old 03-18-2011
Registered!!

I was planning on it not going to mess around with a piggy back