7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlight for retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
Headlight for retrofit

Hey, i'm going to be retrofitting a pair of morimoto minis into my headlights in a week or two and had a question. A mechanic noticed that one of the headlights on the car i just bought was TYC and the other was OEM.

My cousin said that he saw a bit of fogging in one of the headlights.

So i said i would get a new one, but he said you might as well just buy a blacked out pair from ebay and use those. That way it would save me the trouble of having to black them out before i retrofit them. I know the light output on ebay reflectors is crap but i'll be retrofitting anyways.

I just wanted to know if something like the headlights in the picture below are good enough to use or if the quality on them is complete crap. If they are i guess i'd buy just one headlight and black them out myself.

Old 03-11-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Headlight for retrofit

you are not using those halogen optics anyway, so it doesnt matter. the rest of the light is perfectly fine.
Old 03-11-2011
I haven't been here in a long time

mkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gearbox
you are not using those halogen optics anyway, so it doesnt matter. the rest of the light is perfectly fine.
agreed
Old 03-11-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Yeah i knew that, i was asking more about quality ... do you think they'd be okay? Or would they fog up really quick?
Old 03-11-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

I swear to god I was looking at those exact ones last night to buy.
Old 03-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

well the main reason ebay headlights leak is the cheap sealant they use around the headlight but your going to remove and re-seal them anyway during the retro-fit. but buyng all new ones seems like a waste of money to me just because there blacked out you can just buy some primer and paint for the ones you already have i mean there going to be opend anyway. i wouldent bother getting all new headlights.
Old 03-11-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

pretty much what gearbox said. quality is fine.

which link did u use for those headlights? they arent half bad.
Old 03-11-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lowlife9
well the main reason ebay headlights leak is the cheap sealant they use around the headlight but your going to remove and re-seal them anyway during the retro-fit. but buyng all new ones seems like a waste of money to me just because there blacked out you can just buy some primer and paint for the ones you already have i mean there going to be opend anyway. i wouldent bother getting all new headlights.
the problem with that is:

1. most people are inexperience of using the rattle can. there is a learned skill of using a can to paint properly.

2. u waste time, money (paint+primer), and the outcome isnt always that good, and it usually starts pealing if not done properly.

3. u have an extra pair of headlights

4. one of his headlights are fogging, the cost of getting it restored to new + the time+paint+ labor isnt worth it. especially if u can buy a brand new pair of headlights for 50-70 bucks shipped.

iono, thats just my .02
Old 03-11-2011

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

I cant find the link! I was just looking at it last night, and there was like 10 of them and now I can't find them! I should have bookmarked >.<
Old 03-11-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

ebay ftw
Old 03-11-2011
Registered!!

Lol riceboy. And yeah lowlife the main reason i wanna buy a new pair being that they're already blacked out, and i'll also have an extra pair of headlights.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.ca/2001-2003-HONDA-C...item2eb3bb8173

You might be able to find them cheaper. Or get a better deal if you package them (which i might do):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CIVIC-2-4-DOOR-JD...item20b7b1e8d1

Last edited by DarkSouljur; 03-11-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2011

I do need a new grill... But problem with that one is is the interior of the lamps arent smoked.. hmmmmmm
Old 03-11-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shift-E
I swear to god I was looking at those exact ones last night to buy.
Oh, shut up, cuzz!
Are you guys typing at 4 hands?
Jk, jk!

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just add more sealant since they will be open already. the stock seal isnt great.
Old 03-11-2011
Registered!!

@ My Cousin:

They come in smoke aswell, the only thing i'm wondering is if there's any tint to the plastic cover or not ...

Without amber:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/01-03-HONDA-CIVIC...item35b08e7c84

With amber:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CIVIC-2D-4D-CRYST...item53e69e8776

Originally Posted by gearbox
just add more sealant since they will be open already. the stock seal isnt great.
Yeah thats what i assumed, just making sure i was right
Old 03-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^Get the ones with amber and remove it if you don't like the look, that way you at least have something amber to stick in there if you start getting tickets.
Old 03-11-2011

If I got the smoked Head lights and the grill separately, it'll only be a $10 difference after shipping. ($156 vs $146)
Old 03-11-2011

Also, open question, when getting a a CAI, could you just remove the second part of it and make it a SRI?

Like for this one, could I just split it from the middle? Because for $70 after shipping and having the option of CAI when I want it, that's not bad. (Of course I'd throw a DryFlow on there)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-05-HONDA-CIVIC-EX-4CYL-MANUAL-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-FILTER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aHondaQ7cModelQ3aCiv icQ7cYearQ3a2001QQhashZitem2eb3c90ca2QQitemZ200584 793250QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessor ies

One more thing, I have an automatic and that link says manual. Whats the difference between them? Are there different parts in the way blocking the different intakes, or is that just something sellers on ebay says?
Old 03-11-2011

Originally Posted by MindBomber
^Get the ones with amber and remove it if you don't like the look, that way you at least have something amber to stick in there if you start getting tickets.

Ya, I agree. I personally like the amber, adds something to the lights.
Old 03-11-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shift-E
Ya, I agree. I personally like the amber, adds something to the lights.
when i came to QC, one thing i had to do was to install SiR (CA) amber bulbs - clear lenses with white bulbs do get us a ticket
Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

If i do end up going with the smoke ones (which i might because they're cheaper by a bit i think) i'll definately go amber, i think it looks weird without it :P

And about saving $10, with that $10 we can both smoke our tails
Old 03-13-2011

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
@ My Cousin:

They come in smoke aswell, the only thing i'm wondering is if there's any tint to the plastic cover or not ...

Without amber:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/01-03-HONDA-CIVIC...item35b08e7c84

With amber:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CIVIC-2D-4D-CRYST...item53e69e8776

Yeah thats what i assumed, just making sure i was right

do NOT get the smoke headlights. it is counter intuitive to getting a rretro.

the lens is actually smoked out (not the chroming) so it would block off a lot of ur light from ur retro. and ur retro would be a complete waste of money
Old 03-14-2011
Registered!!

So blacked out it is :P

I was rethinking buying the smoked ones anyways because i didn't think the smoke was dark enough :P