7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

CEL after timing belt service Please help.

Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meowadishi is an unknown quantity at this point
CEL after timing belt service Please help.

Hello,

My pops and I did the timing belt service on my 2005 Civic LX. We finished up Sunday and I have been driving around and today(Thursday) the CEL light came on.

Now when we were doing the service we had did one thing wrong. We did not follow this...
"Do NOT disconnect the electrical connection. Just unbolt the sensor, release the rubber seal, and swing the sensor out of the way."

Now why is this problematic? Can this be the root of my problem? I am going to Auto Zone tomorrow to get the system scanned. Did we kill that sensor some how?

Thanks in advance. BTW Great DIY section!!!
Old 03-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CEL after timing belt service Please help.

there are a couple sensors that are very easily damaged such as the crank and cam position sensors. even a drop of coolant could kill it or the wrong movement. i bet the code is for one of those sensors.
Old 03-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmmmmm..........

The crank sensor is SUPER SENSITIVE. Near the sensor is a strong magnet that creates a magnetic field, and the crank has a bunch of pins placed in the metal and as the crankshaft spins it causes fluctuations in the magnetic field. This is how the sensor knows where the crankshaft is and makes adjustments to your cars fuel/timing ratio. If you unplugged that sensor you may have distrubed the very sensitive system.

You may have to readjust the sensor to make sure it's in place correctly. It being even a MM out will cause a code to come up. Worst case scenerio you will have to replace it.

Make sure you get your code read before you go ripping the timing belt covers off again, it could be something much simpler.
Old 03-04-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Get the code read

I almost think that a 110k service should maybe include new cam & crank sensors imo. It's going to add to the total... but Honda parts are fairly priced.

They do seem to fail often.

On my 05 I had the belt/water pump/tensioner done at 110k and the cam sensor failed at about 125k.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meowadishi is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news!

Its does not seem to be any of my work!!! Its an evap code. I tanked the car up before the service. So I figure that gas cap is not tight.

Thanks guys. Next time I do the timing belt service I will NOT unplug the sensor.