7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

A/C and fuel door

Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mvanbv00 is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C and fuel door

I finally got my fuel door fix today!!! Took 10 min to install. Best addition to the car besides my radio so far!

A/C: In my aircraft systems (hydraulics and heating/cooling) class the other day we were discussing how heating and cooling work in an aircraft. The professor said that the A/c was almost identical to that in a car. I asked him about my problems. So here it is.

Last summer I had a friend recharge my A/C because he said it could use it. (Biggest mistake ever) He put in two cans of r143a. Afterword the compressor would kick on and off every second or two. I can feel the horsepower being taken/given back and it almost even jerks the whole car.

My professor said that it sounded like I was low or even out of the r143a. I can't remember his explanation but he said something like the compressor wouldn't kick on/off if it was broken and he said it still wouldn't kick out any air if the whole system was broken. (I still get cool air)

Can anyone confirm or deny what my professor said and give me any extra info. Much appreciated since this could save my lots of money if I take it to a shop and already know whats wrong.
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: A/C and fuel door

Sounds like he overfilled it.

The A/C system takes a very specific amount of coolant. A small variation in that amount (either too much or too little) and your liable to ruin or significantly reduce the life of the compressor. Best thing to do is evacuate the system then fill to recommended level.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mvanbv00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A/C and fuel door

fueldoorfix.com

It's around $20. It takes around 10 min to install and it should never fail again.
If you get the replacement from Honda for $900 it could (probably will) eventually fail again.

As for now... you can go into the trunk, pry back the carpet on the drivers side, reach back to the fuel door cable, twist (90 degrees)and pull the cable out of place then replace it as soon as the fuel door is open.

Last edited by mvanbv00; 03-04-2011 at 05:49 AM.