7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Carnoobie (and anyone else) Help Me - 01 LX Audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
Re: Carnoobie (and anyone else) Help Me - 01 LX Audio

CDA-117 is great. I talked to a guy at best buy a couple months back who really knew what he was talking about when it came to car audio. He was telling me how the CDA-117 is one of the better decks out there for sound quality.

It's pretty high up though for a single din, but it definately gets really good reviews:

CDA-117

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-CDA-117.html

I also really like the:

Alpine iDA-X305S

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...iDA-X305S.html

And the:

Alpine iDA-X303

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-iDA-X303.html

They're both sexy i love the screens!
Old 03-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carnoobie

Look
Sound Tuning

* Subwoofer Level: Subwoofer Level Adjustment
* High Pass Filter: High Pass Filter Adjustment
* Bass Center Frequency: Bass Center Frequency Adjustment
* Bass Width: Bass Width Q Adjustment
* Bass Level: Bass Level Adjustment
* Treble Center Frequency: Treble Center Frequency Adjustment
* Treble Level: Treble Level Adjustment
* Loudness: Loudness Feature
* MediaXpander: MediaXpander Ready (PXA-H100 Required)
* Time Correction: Time Correction 6 Channel Time Correction Ready (PXA-H100 Required)
* Equalizer: Equalizer 5 Band Graphic / 7 Band Parametric Equalizer Ready (PXA-H100 Required)
* Crossover: Crossover Ready OFF/60/80/100 (Hz)
* IMPRINT: IMPRINT Sound System Ready (PXA-H100 Required)
Well, let's look at what these do

* Subwoofer Level: Subwoofer Level Adjustment (Volume Control)

* High Pass Filter: High Pass Filter Adjustment (Crossover)

* Bass Center Frequency: Bass Center Frequency Adjustment (boosts signal at a specific frequency range)

* Bass Width: Bass Width Q Adjustment (widens or narrows the boost for the above frequency control)

* Bass Level: Bass Level Adjustment (actual frequency control)

* Treble Center Frequency: Treble Center Frequency Adjustment (boosts signal at a specific frequency range)

* Treble Level: Treble Level Adjustment (actual frequency control)

* Loudness: Loudness Feature (bass boost)

* MediaXpander: MediaXpander Ready (PXA-H100 Required) (now optional)

* Time Correction: Time Correction 6 Channel Time Correction Ready (PXA-H100 Required) (optional)

* Equalizer: Equalizer 5 Band Graphic / 7 Band Parametric Equalizer Ready (PXA-H100 Required) (optional)

* Crossover: Crossover Ready OFF/60/80/100 (Hz) (crossover)

* IMPRINT: IMPRINT Sound System Ready (PXA-H100 Required) (optional)

They give you several ways to control the bass signal and treble signal. Anything else requires a separate component. Not that you can't decent sound with those controls, but my hearing is extremely sensitive in the mid-range section. I have my mid range turned way down as it really bothers my ears. I could never do that with my Alpines and that was the one thing that really bothered me about them. Otherwise I'd still be rocking them.

The Pioneer Premiers were really nice for sound control. And I was really surprised that my JVC Arsenal had the 7 band eq built in. A feature I like along with the 5v pre-outs and the ability to shut off the internal amp.

And I would never own a Sony car stereo. Installed way to many of them that quickly decided to eat disks or skip a lot.

The Alpine's rarely skipped. Haven't tested the JVC as I mostly use a thumb drive on it. Almost wish I had just gone with a hard drive unit.
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

^ ur alternator is good
Old 03-03-2011
I haven't been here in a long time

mkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tbohar
Carnoobie is the best on this subject, I'd definitely wait for his response.
I've read this whole thread...and I have to say you are correct
Old 03-03-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carnoobie
for those of you who are running amps and subs. arent you worried about the long term effects itll have on your car battery and alternator? i read that running an amp and sub puts a lot of strain on the alternator and will shorten its life span.

because of this im actually considering removing my amp and sub from my car cause the stock alternator isnt made to handle high powered amps and subs. its made to handle basic stock stuff - stock radio, a aftermarket deck is fine, general startup, AC, heat etc. But over time running an amp and sub will cause the alternater to overheat and die much quicker.

And also my mech tested my alt yesterday and said it was good at 14.4. is that good?
Go with what your mechanic said.. and MEH to the whole alternator spiel...my car is now over 5 years old and ive had 2 subs + 700 watt amp in it for 3 years. I'm running the original battery and alternator with no indication I need to replace either. It's not good for it I agree... You just can't go through your whole life following every rule, or doing everything "Good"
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

If you are constantly running your system at a level where your lights are noticeably dimming then you will eventually damage the alternator.
There are options though.
Turn down the volume (you are probably causing hearing damage)
Upgrade the alternator to a high output one.
Install a cap near the amps.
Switch to digital amps.

I switched to the digital amps. I run an Alpine PDX 100.4 for my fronts and a PDX 600.1 for the sub. My alternator is much happier although a higher output alternator would still be advantageous.
Old 03-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay,

So, I have no idea how I missed this thread, but here I go

1. OP, Sony decks arent bad per say, they are entry level decks, great bang for the buck, stylish.
I own one and it's "set it and forget it" type deal, no constant EQ changing, etc.
I honestly cant get over the looks of alpine and pioneer. Too complex looking and not simple enough. Menus are not that great.
Are they the best decks? Quick answer: No
Are they simple, easy to use and suit most your needs/budget? Yes

2. Carnoobie
I honestly understand you worrying about your car a lot, but I hate to say this, but I speak for most of us. If you don't calm down about your car, there are about 10 of us waiting in line to smack you on the back of the head.
Cars aren't made to last forever, they break down, and eventually die as well. It's what we have to deal with, freaking out about it wont help.

3. Stock alternators are only good for what the car mainly needs to run, not to push 3000watt audio systems.
At best, they can probably handle a 300~500RMS system. Anymore, you're looking for a HO alternator.
Yes, self regulating amps, and caps will prolong the life of your alternator, but it wont remove the strain from it.
Bad/old batteries also put a strain on alternators, if your battery is old/dying, keeping it will only add more strain to your alternator

Let me end it with this:
As most of you did, why did you buy the Sony on impulse? Because it looks stylish and it's affordable.
Then back off because everyone says "Sony is the crappiest car audio brand"
No, they're not, I can name plenty more that are worse, and more expensive too
"Their sound quality is bad!"
It's not the best, but it's not ear straining, and suits most your listening needs. Are you an audiophile? probably not. You probably wont hear the difference most the time. Besides, matching a good pair of speakers to a good amp will provide you with better results than relying on the headunit to provide all the power to your speakers.

Last edited by Kennykid2002; 03-03-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a 300RMS system in my car for the past 2 years, old stock battery was on the brink of dying (7 yr old battery). Replaced with a brand new ACDelco battery, and it has been all good.

Alternator seems to be good so far, yours is reading 14.4 volts which is pretty good actually.

Any electronics you add to your vehicle will put strain on your battery/alt, including HID's
However, HID ballasts provide constant power to your headlights, so headlights will not dim.
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

Civiccc2K1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks KennyKid, but youre a tad late. I sold the sony deck and I purchased a JVC Arsenal Deck with ipod control, built in HD Radio and the installation gear for 160. I installed it today and may I say the sound is impeccable, perfect. I lovee the ipod controls with my ipod touch 4g, and the bass is perfect for my likings. I couldn't have purchased a more satisfying deck. Pictures are coming soon!
Old 03-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Hate to break it to you, but personally, JVC Is one of the brands i consider even lower than the sony, on my list, it ranks around the same as Dual and Clarion.

If you listen to your ipod a lot, I would have suggested the Sony DSX-S200X for ya, where you could have stored your ipod inside the deck with a 4 line OEL display instead.
Although, you'd give up the convenience of HD Radio, though I don't really care for radio anymore anyways =/

But oh well, if you like what you got, thats what matters.
I just dont like how JVC's menus are configured and I cant get over how cheap those decks feel and look, especially their hideous remotes.
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

I mean, I wouldve made a more researched and educated purchase, but honestly i dont drive more than 20 minutes at a time. and I'm not too much of an audio freak. lol. As opposed to the factory radio + cassette player, I'm satisfied.

you can surely respond on the thread below this one if you'd like (:
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

And just what is so hideous about my remote
I am actually pleased with the JVC Arsenal series. I would agree with the standard JVC line, they are not the best. But they really did a good job with this unit. The menu does suck. You shouldn't have to go that deep to change the sub level.
But over all I am pleased with it. HD radio is nice as that is the only way to get a Smooth Jazz station here. I do mostly listen to MP3s though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jvc.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	80390  
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

i love the remote (: