7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

A few Lights out on Instriment Cluster on 04

Old 02-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edgenet should not be trustededgenet should not be trusted
A few Lights out on Instriment Cluster on 04

Hi Guys this is my 1st post

My wife has a 2004 LX a few months ago the instrument cluster has lost a few lights around the temp guage and the tach. The guages seem to go crazy (fluter) every few weeks the guages fluter from 0 to max and back and forth then they stop after a few minutes and everthing is ok. The engine does not miss a heart beat while the guages are flutering.

Question 1) are there light-bulbs that lite the instrument cluster or LEDS

Question 2) any thoughts on why the intruments are (flutering) going crazy

Last edited by edgenet; 02-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: A few Lights out on Instriment Cluster on 04

1. Push and hold the trip/reset button
2. Turn the lighting switch on
3. Turn the ignition to ON(II)
4. Within 5 seconds, turn the lighting switch OFF, then ON and OFF again
5. Within 5 seconds, release the trip/reset button, then push and release the button 4 times

The beeper sounds 5 times. Then all the indicators blink. Then the odo/trip segment blinks 5 times. Then all the needles sweep from min to max back to min. Then it will run a communications check and display either all 8's or the word error. 8's are good, error means the connection between the cluster and ECM/PCM is bad. If anything doesn't work properly in test mode replace the cluster.
Old 02-23-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

the lights on an 03+ cluster are all SMT LEDs soldered to the cluster's circuit board.
Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

Thank-you for the info I will give the test a try.
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
the lights on an 03+ cluster are all SMT LEDs soldered to the cluster's circuit board.

I will check the connections to the cluster 1st If the leds do not come back to life I guess next step is to replace them. Is this possible or do I need to have it repaired.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
1. Push and hold the trip/reset button
2. Turn the lighting switch on
3. Turn the ignition to ON(II)
4. Within 5 seconds, turn the lighting switch OFF, then ON and OFF again
5. Within 5 seconds, release the trip/reset button, then push and release the button 4 times

The beeper sounds 5 times. Then all the indicators blink. Then the odo/trip segment blinks 5 times. Then all the needles sweep from min to max back to min. Then it will run a communications check and display either all 8's or the word error. 8's are good, error means the connection between the cluster and ECM/PCM is bad. If anything doesn't work properly in test mode replace the cluster.

The above does not work on a 04-Civic. Your info was useless
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Your response is NOT correct the 04-Civic has bulbs not LEDs on the gauge cluster. Your response was useless
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ Wow! I usually expect attitude like that from H-T members, not some brain dead noob. In spite of YOUR uselessness I'll tell you anyways:

That test is good for EVERY civic '01-'05. This info comes straight from the service manual. My first time doing this test it took me ten tries. So, go out and try it again AT LEAST ten times and if it doesn't work replace the cluster.

EVERY civic from '03+ has LEDs. Again, straight from the service manual. The only reason I can think of that you have bulbs in your cluster was it was swapped, which I doubt but, it could happen.

Service manual: http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage...vlB&usg=AFQjCN

New OEM parts: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/home.jsp https://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/index.php?p=home http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/home.jsp

Salvage: http://www.car-part.com/ or eBay or local CL

That's absolutely all the help your gonna get from me. Next time not so much attitude. Now get outta the way the big boys wanna play.
Old 03-04-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edgenet
The above does not work on a 04-Civic. Your info was useless
Your response is NOT correct the 04-Civic has bulbs not LEDs on the gauge cluster. Your response was useless
Thanks for being a jackass.
Old 03-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

wow... this is one of the fastest downfalls i ever seem in here...
one more red box for you, fella...
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

Dudes must be held accountable for posting incorrect answers. Both dudes were wrong. Let's move on I solved my issues all is good with the Civic. later
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

F U, douche! We're both right and you know it. I think your wrong and don't know want to admit it. Somebody block this azzhat.
Old 03-05-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Dudes must be held accountable for posting incorrect answers. Both dudes were wrong. Let's move on I solved my issues all is good with the Civic. later
So, I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself. I have an 03-05 ex cluster lying around, one that I haven't gotten around to swapping in my car.

I'm trying to find out how I'm legitimately wrong. Can you tell me where the twist sockets for the bulbs in my cluster are?

Here's a little animated gif I just made to prove it's a civic cluster.
Name:  Cluster.gif
Views: 851
Size:  1.01 MB

Yea, I know my desk is a messy. Civicforums helps break up long bouts of studying/homework..