7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Considering Buying a 2003 Civic EX

Old 02-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadman20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Considering Buying a 2003 Civic EX

So, I've been attracted to purchasing a 2003 Honda Civic EX with 100,500 miles from a dealer "As-Is" for about $6500. At least that's what I'm asking for it from the $6995 sticker price.

I took the vehicle to mechanics that have worked on Hondas for years gave me an assessment of the car.
- I know Honda has 105,000 service for the Timing Belt. However, I don't know if it was replaced earlier since there was no record of it after traded in, essentially I'm leaning that it never was replaced.
- Front driver struts are bad, obvious leaking, so that needs replacement. No real comments about the back through. Reading through here, I shouldn't go with OEM when going about replacing them.
- Brakes are wore to almost bare at the front, needing immediate replacement. Back with 2.7mm left.
- Then some fluid changes with brakes and tranny... nominal stuff here that I expected.

I've new to Civics, downsizing from a Cherokee, but I've DIY'ing repairs for sometime on it, so I'm afraid doing repairs myself. The reasoning behind this is for the improved fuel economy and replacing an car on it's last leg. I'm stuck wondering if this is still worth purchasing with what I've learned earlier today?
Old 02-18-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Considering Buying a 2003 Civic EX

That civic your interested in buying sounds a good deal. The same issues you are dealing with are the exact ones I've gone through, nothing more.

I changed my all my belts 127k, it looked like the timing couldve stayed on longer. My front driver struts gave out, so I replaced both with I forgot what brand, the place I got them from were out of stock struts so they gave me performance ones for the stock price<<that was a good day. Your rears will eventually give out, they carry less weight so they last a little longer, but very easy to replace.

Im only saying this because if what you said are the only problems with that civic, then its having the same lifespan as my civ..maybe they were manufactured right after one another 0.o So far I hear a lot of negative feedback on the automatic transmission. I have had no problems at all with mine (knock on wood). You might want to ask others here about that, out of all the cars I've owned and turned wrenches on Ive never had a tranny problem.
Old 02-18-2011
Registered!!

2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough

if you have cash find a car on craiglist, itll be cheaper, idk if you'll find a 7th gen but you can get a 6th gen civic with around the same mileage for way way less and without all the issues you've listed.
Old 02-18-2011
Registered!!

The problem is having a lack of large sum of cash to purchase a better car. I'm set with financing through the credit union that I use; however, the one of the requirements was that the car could not have over 125,000 miles. I could check the last place the civic was before it came to this dealer. They told me it got traded in at a Lexus dealer in Bellevue, WA, I could call to confirm.

The price tag is on the lower end of kbb listing under private party pricing, finding a comparable civic in the same year jumps up into the high 7k range. I could go 6th gen, I just have to stick to my criteria. While the timing belt and the struts are the biggest objections against buying it, I know I really can't escape some sort of servicing of a car. Working on a Cherokee is working in PITA cramped conditions to fix most things.

As for the auto tranny, I've heard the 2001-2002 model years had the most significant problems for the transmission... then petered down after 2003, at least from my research.
Old 02-20-2011
Registered!!

jbuffethed is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are you located? Im in Montgomery, AL. Ive got an 03 EX sedan 5 speed 91k miles that I will probably sell before I deploy in April. I got it a little over a month ago after a deer totaled my Accord. Car runs great and everything works. The dealer put a brand new paint job on it too. Looks great.
Old 02-20-2011
Car Enthusiasts

Raid3n is an unknown quantity at this point

$6500 with over 120k? I'd be a tough call for me! I know cash is an issue here but you can always find a lot cheaper with low KM if you just look for a private sale..

Why don't you just barrow the money you want to spend and finance that one instead rather buying from the dealership and finance it there?

You know most of the dealership sell their cars over priced..
Old 02-20-2011
Registered!!

@jbuffethed: Would love to look at the car, but I live in Washington State, so it's not really an option, but thanks for the offer.

It's $6500 with about 100,500 miles on it from this small dealer. Yes, it has some maintenance required. Hard part, there isn't a comparable priced car within 200 miles of the same year from private party. The financing is through a credit union that I bank with instead of dealing with the dealer.
Old 02-21-2011
Registered!!

carowcliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just food for thought, I bought my 7th gen for 5500$ with 64000 miles on it about two months ago. Found it on craigslist and it seemed that private sellers are the way to go. No issues so far! Good luck with your buy!
Old 02-24-2011
KIA Sales extrordinare!

bsmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carowcliffe
Just food for thought, I bought my 7th gen for 5500$ with 64000 miles on it about two months ago. Found it on craigslist and it seemed that private sellers are the way to go. No issues so far! Good luck with your buy!
The exception not the rule. Unless it has had issues in the past. Salvaged/rebuilt/branded/flood/odometer issues/airbag deployment.
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carowcliffe
Wow what a great steal!

I got mine out of the classifieds at 7300 back in 2008 with 96-98k. Previous owner was real gentle on it, he used it for communiting to the airport while working for SW airlines. Only thing wrong was it needed tires and he was aware of the timing belt change approaching. He went and bought a fully decked out camry..or mazda6..something like that.

This prev owner had ALL the records for this civic..I was amazed.
Old 02-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute

I'd sell you my '01 EX with 76,000 miles with SF turbo, tein ss, act hd clutch, prolite flywheel, 17's rims, sway bars, strut bars, Eclipse DVD and much more for that price.
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

instalher is an unknown quantity at this point

there are 212 tsb on the 2001-2003 cars and i have had all 212 issues and so have alot of other owners... i have had everything from poor headlight difraction, to early muffler corrosion... and everything in between.. if you can buy the 6th gen or the 9th gen in two months..