7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Lt

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nashvillerider is an unknown quantity at this point
Check Engine Lt

2004 HondaCivic, automatic

I'm having an issue with my ck engine light coming on for a day and then going out. I've gone to Auto Zone twice to get the codes and have gotten two different answers to my problem. Here's the problem:

When the check engine light is on I have issues with a hard down shift when slowing down to a stop. When increasing speed I have problems with it going into the next gear. I usually have to give it more gas for it to work.

First time I had the codes checked Auto Zone said it could be the TP Sensor. Second time they said it probably was the Purge Solenoid.

Funny thing is when the ck engine light is not on, the car operates just fine. This morning it was okay, but by the time I was ready to travel home the light was on.

Any clues? I appreciate any and all responses to my problem.
Old 02-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Check Engine Lt

What codes did it throw? They should have at least told you that. Throttle position sensor is a pain in the *** to change its way easier to get a whole throttle body.
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
What codes did it throw? They should have at least told you that. Throttle position sensor is a pain in the *** to change its way easier to get a whole throttle body.
Thanks for the quick answer tbohar.

I actually got three codes:

P0497
P0122
P1456

Would like to get this fixed ASAP without having to buy a bunch of parts to find the correct solution.
Old 02-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

P0497 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Low Purge Flow
P0122 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input
P1456 Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Control System Leakage (Fuel Tank System)

For the P0497 Clean the throttle body, check and replace the purge valve.

For the P0122 if youve cleaned the throttle body and that hasnt helped, replace it with one off ebay that has all the sensors attached.

For the evap emission code (P1456) make sure your gas cap is tightening properly, if not replace the gas cap. (first make sure its fully tight)

I'd do them in that order... with each step it might make all three codes go away.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 02-10-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

Once again thanks for the quick answers!

Auto Zone actually gave me a copy of the codes and what the problem(s)
might be.

P0497 was at the top of the list, but it also gave two other possibilities:
Faulty Vent Solenoid or Faulty FTP sensor

On the loose fuel cap they told me to check the gasket on my fuel cap and see if it might have a flat spot. This could be the problem with P1456.

You also mentioned that changing the TP sensor was a pain in the ***. Is that b/c of the smooth head on the screw that you have to indent so you can remove it? I need an idea what I'm getting into before I head to eBay.

Dan
Old 02-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Well, its a pain in the *** because calibrating it is a bitch. If you have the tools to calibrate it, it isn't too bad. The thing to consider is that you can get a pre calibrated throttle body off ebay for 70 bucks if you are patient.

Here is one for 90 or whatever:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/01-05-Honda-Civic...item3a60696978

It makes the job an easy DIY so you save shop time as well, it's totally up to you. I would still clean it before installing it though.

As far as faulty FTP sensor and solenoid there is a lot of stuff that can fail on the evap system... i'd generally start with the valve tho.
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

Well, its a pain in the *** because calibrating it is a bitch. If you have the tools to calibrate it, it isn't too bad. The thing to consider is that you can get a pre calibrated throttle body off ebay for 70 bucks if you are patient.

Here is one for 90 or whatever:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/01-05-Honda-Civic...item3a60696978

It makes the job an easy DIY so you save shop time as well, it's totally up to you. I would still clean it before installing it though.

As far as faulty FTP sensor and solenoid there is a lot of stuff that can fail on the evap system... i'd generally start with the valve tho.

You've been a great help!

I looked at the eBay auction. One question. His fits an EX and mine is an LX...will that one fit my Civic??
Old 02-11-2011
Whachya lookin at?

If I do remember correctly an EX does fit. If you don't have cruise control you just don't put the cable on etc. Everything lines up though.
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

Once again thanks for all your help! I wonder where all the other knowledgeable people are??

I have one more question for you and then I will go on to repair my Civic.

My Check Engine Lt problem started more than a month ago. With the decel/accel problem I inquired about whether it might be the tranny fluid. My car had over 145K and I had not ever changed the fluid (I'm the 2nd owner). I had that done and had the codes pulled which you have seen. The next day after pulling the codes the CEL went out for two weeks. Came on for a day and went back out the next. I've even had it come on in the morning, but not in the afternoon.
QUESTION: What is going on with the CEL? The codes aren't being reset and the decel/accel problem returns when the CEL is on.

Dan

Last edited by nashvillerider; 02-13-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: BTW - My car has Cruise Control
Old 02-13-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Hmmm. I'm going to have a bit of a hard time answering this one. These transmissions are horrible (automatics). They have a high fail rate and it's possible that yours is going. You should change the fluid much more often on these than other trannys. By changed I mean a drain/fill NOT a flush. If you did a flush chances are you plugged your filter (which is internal BTW so it cannot be replaced) and your depriving the transmission of oil. I don't see why that would throw the codes that your car has thrown though (if it was tranny related)?
Old 02-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

time for a new (or at least used) throttle body for the TPS code problem. it can also seriously affect how the trans shifts gears.
Old 02-13-2011
Whachya lookin at?

^ Now you got the attention of the most knowledgeable person on the forum
Old 02-13-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

^ Now you got the attention of the most knowledgeable person on the forum
someone called??
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

ijazh is an unknown quantity at this point

You can try disconeting your negative terminal from your cars battery for like 10 to 15 min. After that plug it back in and turn on your car, see if it resets your engine light.
There are 3-4 O2 sensors overall on check engine light. You can change all DIY. Cost effective way.
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

The thing to consider is that you can get a pre calibrated throttle body off ebay for 70 bucks if you are patient.
Patience is the key but, if you want one now go here: http://www.car-part.com/. You can get one for the about the same price and if you can't find one locally the salvage guys usually ship the same day. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

True, but if it came between patience and 30 bucks i'd spend the 90 on it to be honest. It's better than having your car run crappy... Nice find on the car-part.com though. I'll have to bookmark that
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

Hmmm. I'm going to have a bit of a hard time answering this one. These transmissions are horrible (automatics). They have a high fail rate and it's possible that yours is going. You should change the fluid much more often on these than other trannys. By changed I mean a drain/fill NOT a flush. If you did a flush chances are you plugged your filter (which is internal BTW so it cannot be replaced) and your depriving the transmission of oil. I don't see why that would throw the codes that your car has thrown though (if it was tranny related)?
OK, I took my car to the service ctr where I have all my work done. I presumed they did a drain/fill. It cost me $145. I'll have to call and chat with the service mgr to see exactly what they did.
Old 02-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

145 dollars sounds more in line with a flush. Make sure you call and find out because they arent supposed to be doing flushes to these transmissions!