7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please help me decide! 2002 Honda Civic rebuilt status, is this worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kami6666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Please help me decide! 2002 Honda Civic rebuilt status, is this worth it?

Hi every body,

I live in Vancouver, Canada. I saw this 2002 Civic SE today (which is the fully loaded model). Black in color, 218,000 KM mileage. It's been lightly modified (spoiler, front lip and side skirt, air intake, JVC stereo, tinted windows). It's been rebuilt from a rear accident. The engine and transmission are flawless (I know a bit about cars).

The guy has been driving it for almost 2 years now. I drove the car and If I wasn't told, I would have never guessed it's a rebuilt.

Should I buy it for $2500 CAD?

Last edited by kami6666; 02-07-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: Please help me decide! 2002 Honda Civic rebuilt status, is this worthed?

Get pictures of the damage and figure out what was replaced.

If it was just rear ended, then the bumper/tails/trunk/floorpan were replaced... and thats all fine. If it was more then that, such as suspension needing to be replaced or any frame damage aside from the rear bumper rail, then it was pretty serious.

Rebuilt cars only get this kinda title if entire panels were replaced, like the trunk was replaced instead of having it bent back. Bumper replacements and trunk floor pan replacements arent anything big that will give it a bad title... If it was hit off center then it could of ****ed up some **** thats not apparent yet.

Get pictures of the damage and ask what was replaced. Post them. If you cant, then ask to go to a mechanic thats well know like honda (who knows what they are supposed to look like) and a shop like les schawb that works on the rear suspension/brakes all the time and ask if anything looks like an issue from the previous accident.
Old 02-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kami6666
Hi every body,

I live in Vancouver, Canada. I saw this 2002 Civic SE today (which is the fully loaded model). Black in color, 218,000 KM mileage. It's been lightly modified (spoiler, front lip and side skirt, air intake, JVC stereo, tinted windows). It's been rebuilt from a rear accident. The engine and transmission are flawless (I know a bit about cars).

The guy has been driving it for almost 2 years now. I drove the car and If I wasn't told, I would have never guessed it's a rebuilt.

Should I buy it for $2500 CAD?
It sounds like a very bad deal to me. Not only is the car rebuilt, but the modifications to the car indicate that it's likely been abused by the owner. Has the timing belt been replaced?

The SE is also not the fully loaded model, it's actually one of the lower models, it only has a couple minor options added to it.
Old 02-07-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
It sounds like a very bad deal to me. Not only is the car rebuilt, but the modifications to the car indicate that it's likely been abused by the owner. Has the timing belt been replaced?

The SE is also not the fully loaded model, it's actually one of the lower models, it only has a couple minor options added to it.
You are right. I checked and it's an LX model. Thank you for the note!
Old 02-07-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Mindbomber, the mods indicate possible abuse...

But I have personally owned a few rebuilt cars. You really have to know the person/persons who did the rebuild. And I doubt insurance would total a rear hit without frame damage...I did a 180 in my 07' coupe and slamed into a tree from behind. dead center. Shattered the rear windshield, crumpled the trunk, bumper and a lil of the side panel. it was the frame damage that sent the estimate over the top.

My advice? take it to a stealership and tell them the story. Have em check it out. The engine looking clean and nice just tells you he had it dressed to avert attention...

And baseline resale value for R title STARTS at 1/2 comparable kelly blue book. So if they want more, tell em to suck a lemon or prove why. Cause when/if YOU ever total it, your only gettin that much back from insurance. TRUST me. Been there and dealt that.

Also check the paint job for bondo, the frame welds for hairline cracks and the interior trim for stress marks near doors and seams. Also make sure the edges of the hood/trunk line up parallel with the body panels...good indication of a torqued frame if they aint PERFECT, like they should be.

But in the end you take a risk, for a possible sweet deal.
Old 02-07-2011
Registered!!

tipnitty is on a distinguished road

I would agree, I would just walk away and look for something stock.
Old 02-08-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Stock cars are the way to go... You know some kid didnt drive it into the ground and then want to get rid of it before that little knock became a serious problem. If you know about cars go with your feeling though. In the end you will do what you want to do A family member of mine bought a rebuilt civic and shes been driving it now for about 4-5 years without any problems at all (hit in the rear).
Old 02-08-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

I was checking out this ad:

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ259006207

As soon as i saw modifications, i dropped it. Buy a stock car and modify it the way you want. That way you can learn stuff, customize it to your preferences, and do all the work yourself (or make sure it's done properly).

I asked the guy in the ad about what he did to his suspension, he didn't know anything about it ... someone else did it for him. Bad sign haha
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

Talking Re: Please help me decide! 2002 Honda Civic rebuilt status, is this worthed?

Thank you all for your posts. Yesterday, I went there and looked at the car again. Everything was lined up fine. There was no signs of tension anywhere. I bought it for 2350 CAD. The car looks and drives awesome and I'm very happy with the purchase. My friend has a low mileage (100,000 KM) 2002 Si, which he bought it for almost $7000, he drove it and said for 120,000 KM more mileage the car runs great. I'll try to take some pictures and post.
Old 02-09-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

There you go! Time now to descend into the world of mods and DIY!!

And what is 2350 CAD? In my field thats know as Computer Aided Drafting
Old 02-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Congrats on the purchase. lets see these pictures!
Old 02-11-2011
Registered!!

IMSHANE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BobDobolina
There you go! Time now to descend into the world of mods and DIY!!

And what is 2350 CAD? In my field thats know as Computer Aided Drafting
The lad is from Canada, so id assume CAD is Canadian dollars?