7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Coasting in Gear : Engine Shuts off or NOT

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ashokudu is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Coasting in Gear : Engine Shuts off or NOT

I am pretty sure this does not happen on 7th gen civics. I got Civic DX MT.

If you are coasting in gear, does the CPU kill the engine until the rpms drop below certain preset.

ashok.
Old 02-02-2011
Registered!!

tipnitty is on a distinguished road
Re: Coasting in Gear : Engine Shuts off or NOT

What kind of speeds are you talking about?

If you are in 5th and doing about 40mph you are better to put on cruise. But if you are going say 60-70mph you can coast in gear without the rpm falling too low.
Old 02-02-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it kills the fuel injectors yes, so you are not using any gas while coasting in gear. your momentum and the crank keeps the engine on. if you shift to neutral, the engine will use gas and idle. all 01+ civics have fuel cut when you take your foot off the gas in gear, auto or manual. you can use this to your advantage and get really good mileage if you know when to take your foot off and when the accelerate. keeping your foot lightly on the gas all the time will use more fuel. using cruise wastes the most gas of all...

Last edited by gearbox; 02-02-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2011
Registered!!

Thanks @ Gearbox.....
Old 02-07-2011
Registered!!

Now along the same lines... I was thinking about this. How one can display instantaneous fuel efficiency / mileage. One way to do it or the only way I came to know is to acquire a JET Performance 67021 - JET V-Force Plus for Non V-Tech engines, $260

or just found one more piece... Scan Guage II... even simplier plugs into OBD II...

did any others find other methods...

Its nonsense though... I am never gonna save enough money to recoup... but kewl.

ashok

Last edited by ashokudu; 02-07-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

@ ashokudu

yes your fuel injectors cut off durning deaccelation...but it kicks back on around 1200 rpm. means they start injecting fuel again @ 1200rpm.
Old 02-07-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

scangaugeII is pretty much the only thing people recommend for monitoring gas mileage and bunch of other things. i was almost getting it but i dont think it would be that useful to me. i already have a good idea how the car acts without seeing it.
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

Well I found some more of these. Can not say which are better and which are not.

PLX Kiwi MPG Scan OBD II -- ~$100

Auterra DashDyno SPD A-500 -- ~ 250 to 300. Also does mapping of stuff like theoretical power, bla bla bla...

cheapest one i found so far is PLX Kiwi... does not display rpm though.

Anyways ended up buying Turbo Gauge TG3, it was on sale on amazon 88 bucks

I will keep editing as I scour the internet for more.

Last edited by ashokudu; 02-11-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

With the help of this gauge [Turbio Gauge 3] and changing my driving habbits....

I have pushed my cars gas mileage above 37 consistently.... I used to average 32-34 in city before with careful driving... now I got it to be above 37..and highest for a tank was 39.5... kewl...

Results on 3 tanks: Tank 1 37.2, Tank 2 38.1 -- Tank 3 39.5** -- Tank 4 37.5

The city i drive is in College park, MD [DC suburb - I495 & I95]... rated has second worst region to drive in.... after LA...

i guess mine being a stick helps a little bit... cause now i tend to downshift to keep the rpm's above 1200 while i am coasting / coming to a stop at red light....i do shut my engine off at red lights (gauging on when i arrived there and when my turn is... i try to see my shut off time is more than 30s minimum)....

now may b i need to post my results in that acetone forum.... instead of adding that solvent to fuel and destroying seals.. and now a days tanks are plastic..even worse.. just doing what i did seems to give better results.... and no long term damage... may b just avoid shutting car off at red lights... just additional cycles on starter motor....

anyways just was happy to report my results.... no got to hit that elusive 40....
Old 05-17-2011
Premium Member

try lubecontrol.com additives in oil (lc20) and gas (fp-plus) for even better mpg.
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Get an HX tranny. I bet the $400 or so you spend on it will be saved in MPG's over the life of the car.

Last edited by lazlong; 05-17-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The engine on a CRZ shuts off at red lights, our cars still get better mileage though.
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MindBomber
The engine on a CRZ shuts off at red lights, our cars still get better mileage though.
Yeah, I mean a 7th gen EX is rated 36mpg and the CR-Z is rated 39mpg. Ten years old and I can still get over 33mpg (50/50- city/highway) with the A/C on, not much of an improvement over mine in that department.
Old 05-18-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

It would probably be better if half these damn cars weren't mandated to put all this safety crap in. It's like, "Yeah, cars are more efficient......yet we're going to add about 350lbs of airbags and a bunch of other stuff." I think once I get back from Atlanta, I'm gonna see just how well I can do to push my car over the 35mpg range. The best I've had was 34. I need some new tires, so once that's all said and done, I gotta try this out.
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MelJ
...yet we're going to add about 350lbs of airbags and a bunch of other stuff.
Just take 'em out then. They're only mandated to be manufactured with them. You don't even need them to pass the safety inspection in most states. Hell, here in TX you don't have to have a windshield but, you have to have working wipers.
Old 05-18-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Lol. Yeah. I figured as much since you don't need your ABS to pass NYS inspection. As long as you don't have any lights on, you're good to go . Thankfully I don't have those massive pillars in my little ol' Vic.
Old 05-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

get these!
nuwaaaahahaha!
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=129&t ransactionid=1305759085-1841608430&posted_by=sdaidoji_www.civicforums.com& youtube_video_id=GpXC7iXuAfA[/autostream]

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-18-2011 at 05:54 PM.