7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Imput Shaft Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
youngjosh12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Imput Shaft Bearing

Hey guys, I have a question I really should have asked a LONG time ago. And I feel really really stupid for not.
For a while my car has had a fast "ticking" noise while accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear, and the car has a whirling sound while the car is neutral and the clutch pedal is released.
I've been searching a lot tonight and come to realize my problem is most likely the Imput shaft bearing on the tranny.
I guess my question is (which I haven't been able to find a solid answer on) is does this need to be replaced immediately? The car has honestly been making this noise for over a year and the car suffers NO power loss or given me ANY related problems with the exception of the noise. I guess the fact it has gone on for over a year is an answer in itself, but now that I'm educated on what the noise is should it be replaced immediately? (with my luck, since I learned what it is tonight it will go totally bad tomorrow lol) Or is it not that big of a deal if I don't mind the noise? I saw some people on this forum saying it would be 300$-500$ labor plus the bearing cost, is that still correct? Or would it be easier to just replace the tranny all together?
If anyone needs any other info let me know, thanks in advance.

Last edited by youngjosh12; 01-30-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sikomaniac is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Imput Shaft Bearing

sort of in the same boat, although I would strongly recommend reading the stickies on this topic which have been discussed for years.

i had both symptoms (clutch release and input shaft), replaced the clutch release bearing with OEM not long after instally ACT clutch kit. true ACT clutch bearings suck. get OEM clutch bearing if swapping out new clutch.

i kept asking my mechanic if they would replace the bearing, but they would rather just swap the tranny. opening up the bell housing is like opening a can of worms. you can pick up a junkyard tranny for around $700. but i'm waiting for it to really get noisy. don't forget to change your tranny fluid. i hoping that will prolong the tranny swap.