7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thewal will become famous soon enough
Check engine light

Good moring all,

Not sure what happened this morning, but i was driving on the highway and all of a sudden my check engine light came on. After getting off the highway, i was stopped at the lights and noticed that the car is taking longer to shift from first to second (automatic transmission), engine oil is good, tranny oil is good checked them both.

Any ideas, i will have to scan it when i get home but i am not sure if i should drive it again until i see what the problem is.
Old 01-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Check engine light

could be something with a throttle body sensor like tps, or could be the coolant temp sensor. or something unrelated. its hard to guess tho and alot of engine codes will put the car into safe mode, which affects how fast the trans shifts gears.
Old 01-20-2011
Registered!!

would it be safe to drive it home?
Old 01-20-2011
Registered!!

I just got home and connected my obd2 to it and the code that it's giving is P0122 Throttle/pedal position sensor A circuit low imput.

does it need to be replaced?
Old 01-20-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i had a feeling it might be. you need a new throttle body. im actually surprised you made it home, when mine went i could barely limp it because the thing didnt know how or when to switch gears. check ebay for used tb and make sure its for auto trans. you cant really replace just the sensor, and even if they made it, you would need to properly calibrate it. much easier to get another one and swap it in.
Old 01-20-2011
Registered!!

Great. Oh well dig deep in the pocket again. hehe.
Old 01-20-2011
Premium Member

i dont know much about the newer civics, but i saw alot of aftermarket tbs too for around the same price as stock close to $100 so maybe now is a good time to look at better ones? idk, 8thcivic prolly has more info than here.
Old 01-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

?
Aside from the avatar, i guess she had a 7th gen
Thewal, i guess it's time to add in your signature what is your real car
Old 01-20-2011
Premium Member

wait im confused, doesnt he have an 8thgen? if its a 7thgen, tb should only be around $50
Old 01-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I believe she have a 03, from this:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-cylinder.html

As for she, she said that in 2 occasions? (had to take care to not to say anything too machist )
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ve-dealer.html

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-20-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2011
Registered!!

this one is for the 03 civic lx sport auto trans. anyh recommendation on what type of TB?
Old 01-21-2011
Premium Member

just get a stock 01-05 tb for auto trans. i dont think anything else matters.
Old 01-21-2011
Registered!!

this maybe a silly question, but would installing the short ram intake could have caused this problem?
Old 01-21-2011
Premium Member

no, short ram is completely different. the tps sensor is riveted to the throttle body and basically tells the ecu how far open the throttle is (how far you push the gas pedal). you could take the intake off completely and it should still work normally.
Old 01-24-2011
Registered!!

Ok so on Friday a friend of mind called me and told me that he had a throttle body available for my car. So i went to the garage and disconnected mine, when he came over realised that it's not the same as mine. he made a mistake he thought it was for an automatic. anyhow, i had to put mine back on, cleaned it very well and put everything back on, car seems to be running fine, i cleared the check engine light and drove the car all weekend, no issues and no check engine light.

Is it possible that it could have simply needed to be cleaned?
Old 01-24-2011
Premium Member

its possible, alot of carbon junk can build up inside the passages. but in my experience, tps problems always come back.

Last edited by gearbox; 01-24-2011 at 05:54 PM.