7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Small light fuse blown... twice?

Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SirCharlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Small light fuse blown... twice?

Hey all!
So I finally bought myself a 7th gen... I'm really happy with it.

However, I have a problem: yesterday, while driving, my dash lights suddenly gave out with a slight 'click'. The climate control backlights also stopped working, as well as my tail lights . When I brake they light up, however...

After a bit of hunting I found that the under-hood fuse number 2 was blown, one of the "small light" fuses... So i replaced it with a spare, only to have it blow as soon as i put it in...

What could this mean?

Incidentaly, yesterday was the coldest day of the year so far (about -10°F), I don't know if this could have anything to do with it?

I'm really p-oed at this, if any of you could help I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Small light fuse blown... twice?

So with the parking lights off... the fuse blew the second you put it in place ??
Old 01-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely constant blown fuses mean short, or reversed wiring, (neg on pos, pos on neg)

Try removing your neg battery terminal, replacing the fuse, and put the neg terminal back on.
If it blows again, it's most likely a short
(you'll have to reset all your radio stations and input your CODE afterwards)
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

Hey guys, thanks for your input.

I don't see how reversed wiring could be the cause, as this problem just appeared out of nowhere while I was driving... Just gave out like that...

So, here are the results of further testing.

I now have a nice collection of many blown fuses for sale

And I also have a possible explanation...

I unplugged my aftermarket radio, and noticed that the two wires that weren't connected from the harness to the radio were bare at the end... One of them was labeled "Dimmer", and the other... "Dash lights"

So I'm guessing this was the problem? I guess when I hit a bump just right, the wires got in contact with some metal part and shorted the poor circuit

I'm still waiting to check out my theory, however the lack of spare fuses has halted me

I'll post an update when I get my hands on some fuses...
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

oooh yea, dimmer is something that should be covered up and kept away :P
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

Damn!

It worked!

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Bottom line: make sure every loose wire from your aftermarket stereo harness is well capped
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

Luke is an unknown quantity at this point

hello!! am a new user to forum, a have a odd quest.
how do I post a question on forum??

tks.
Old 01-18-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

go to the proper forum that your question pertains to, then once in the forum, click the "new thread" button on the top and fill in the title and post.
Old 01-19-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

What exactly is the dimmer for? Ive heard it can damage your HU if you crimp/solder it to your harness. Mines not capped, guess I'll get out the Electrical tape.

Your fuse issues reminded me of one hungover afternoon I took off down the highway and my Cruise control didnt engage. I turned around back home, checked ALL the fuses, looked at the ECU for burns... About 1hr and half later I noticed the c.c button was not pressed in. Glad yours worked itself out.

DOH
Old 01-19-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

When connected the dimmer lead will dim the head unit's display when the lights are switched on.
Old 01-20-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 7genmarathon
Your fuse issues reminded me of one hungover afternoon I took off down the highway and my Cruise control didnt engage. I turned around back home, checked ALL the fuses, looked at the ECU for burns... About 1hr and half later I noticed the c.c button was not pressed in. Glad yours worked itself out.

DOH
Ha! those types of problems happen quite often don't they
Damn

One of my friends was wondering why his van was not responding very well, accelerating very slowly, etc...
He realized after 15 minutes of steady driving that his parking brake was still engaged
He had to change his brakes