7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

building car. help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation building car. help

well after reading a **** load of peoples forums ive came to a conclusion.
making a d17a1 fast is very unlikey..... it would cost a **** load of money and be a waste of it. so i think i might build my car for handling. more for like autox and things like that...........

let me know your inputs

thanks!

01 honda civic lx
Old 01-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: building car. help

People always come on the site and complain about how its to expensive to build big power on a d17 and it drives me crazy, because outside of a dyno or drag strip a 500hp fwd car is a bit pointless. The 7g Civic has an almost endless list of great mod options and there are many things you can do to improve suspension and braking without spending crazy amounts of money..

Strut bars,
Struts,
Springs,
poly bushings,
SS brake lines,
Big brake set-up,
Rear disk conversions,
5 lug conversions

All possible for less than $500 and most for less than $200.

Last edited by MindBomber; 01-15-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

im glad i spent $$ on suspension and look-good mods instead of speed. you hardly need to go fast on the road anyway. and you get better gas mileage from the stock motor. ive gotten so many compliments on my leds and hids ive lost count. even the smog guy noticed lol. you could still go with intake and exhaust if you want some more sounds.
Old 01-14-2011
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

I wish I bought manual trans instead of the auto. I looked up SCCA Detroit region website and found they host many fun event. I think I need a new used car if i want to participate the autox.
Old 01-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

any car you have is good fun in an autoX, you see lots of different stock cars out there, like a GEO kicking A$$ (not smoking fast, but having tons of fun).
I used to try to catch subaru wagons and always beaten by a saturn (with good drivers, that is...).
Another with a 06 civic did believe i had a powerful engine under the hood, since i beat him in 2-3 sec.
so, no, you don't need another car. Better, it will allow you to dial in your car to be much better (testing ground )
Old 01-14-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MindBomber
People always come on the site and complain about how its to expensive to build big power on a d17 and it drives me crazy, because outside of a dyno or drag strip a 500hp fwd car is a bit pointless.
One of the best answers i've seen! Haha +rep to you my friend!

Thats why i always tell people i don't care if i'm not the fastest car because all i need it to do is take me from point A to point B, and look good doing it!
Old 01-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
One of the best answers i've seen! Haha +rep to you my friend!

Thats why i always tell people i don't care if i'm not the fastest car because all i need it to do is take me from point A to point B, and look good doing it!
On a DD you will never need or use big power, all it will do is make you look like the guy with the biggest wallet and the least common sense on a forum or a drag track.

Suspension and brakes you'll use constantly, ever time you make a turn you feel the suspension upgrades and every time you hit the brakes you feel the difference. Those upgrades are also totally practical, right now my super stiff suspension is helping my plow through snow instead of riding on top of it and my brake mods have saved me from accidents more than once.

Last edited by MindBomber; 01-15-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i agree, even on the street you use suspension and brakes way more than the motor. i can keep up with traffic just fine in the civic without even beating on it (under 4k rpms). if i floor it, i leave everyone in the dust. maybe if you live in the mountains and need something to constantly be climbing hills, the civic prolly isnt as practical for that if youre always staying in 2-3 and near redline.
Old 01-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I drive on a lot of steep mountain roads and I actually find my Civic handles them pretty well, once vtec hits I can pull hard up any hill and keep up or pass almost any car. Especially since I don't need to slow down for curves with my suspension, when everyone needs to if they don't want to slide off the edge of a mountain.

To each their own, but I think the couple former members who built 300hp+ turbo d17s are missing a few brain cells. Especially considering they could have just bought a 350z or M3 for the same price as a full motor build and had equal or more power and complete reliability.
Old 01-14-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

These brake upgrades you speak of sound interesting!

Suspension and brakes are both on my list, but because i want to do a bunch of things to my car first, unfortunately they're lower down but when i get money they will be done! I don't really know anything about it though so i gotta do up some research
Old 01-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

These brake upgrades you speak of sound interesting!

Suspension and brakes are both on my list, but because i want to do a bunch of things to my car first, unfortunately they're lower down but when i get money they will be done! I don't really know anything about it though so i gotta do up some research
Brake upgrades are cheap.

Wilwood makes a $500 kit, that offers ss brake lines as an option for $35.

or go OEM, which makes buying pads and caliper rebuild kits way easier.

Like most things Honda makes the caliper brackets are fundamentally the same for every model and they bolt up to the knuckle in the same positions, just re-drill the rotors and your set.
Old 01-14-2011
Registered!!

thanks for your inputs
Old 01-15-2011
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Probably, I wanted to upgrade the suspensions but they resist to die : ) For now, I am going back to the suspension thread and find some good autox mod.
Old 01-17-2011
Registered!!

well im going to get some lowering springs today.....

eibachs only lower 1.4 with the sportlines though.... give me some advice weather thts good or needs lower

-thanks
Old 01-17-2011
Premium Member

thats about as low as you should go if you want better handling. anything else and you will be scraping up your car and causing greater suspension wear on all the other parts.
Old 01-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
thats about as low as you should go if you want better handling. anything else and you will be scraping up your car and causing greater suspension wear on all the other parts.
Scraping the bottom? I would like to get my car low enough for people to see that it's lowered, but not too low so that it scrapes speed bumps, etc. Is 1" enough?
Old 01-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

1" will scrape the front bumper only on the higher sidewalk entries, so they are fine
Old 01-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Tein S.tech and Eibach sportlines are perfect for someone not into major suspension mods. Drops it just enough to show that it's been lowered, but not to much so that you need to start building the whole suspension.
Old 01-20-2011
Registered!!

thanks guys i just ordered eibach sportlines!
Old 01-20-2011
Premium Member

1 inch will not scrape the bottom but you need to be careful how you park or you can bust up the front bumper pulling into a parking space with a curb lol. also ive scraped my lip pulling out of a deep driveway before. and scraped my exhaust tip and bent the midpipe on a speedbump
Old 01-20-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Tein S.tech and Eibach sportlines are perfect for someone not into major suspension mods. Drops it just enough to show that it's been lowered, but not to much so that you need to start building the whole suspension.
Thats all i'd need to order to lower my car enough to notice but not enough to build the whole suspension? Or are other stuff needed?
Old 01-20-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

You will need new struts as well. The stock ones aren't set for the lowered car.
Old 01-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Thats all i'd need to order to lower my car enough to notice but not enough to build the whole suspension? Or are other stuff needed?
Springs, struts and a camber kit are the minimum. You will also likely need to replace a few other parts like tie rod ends, strut mounts and LCA bushings. Most suspension components are wear items that need to be replaced eventually, but since a lowered car is hard on its suspension it hastens the need to service everything.
Old 01-22-2011
Registered!!

im going to pick up my sportlines this week and i was just wondering if there is any likely problems ill run into while installing them.

-thanks
Old 01-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

You should probably replace your outer tie rod ends, those are usually destroyed while doing a spring install and they are what turn the wheels. If they fail, you lose steering and..

Other than that the only other likely problem would be seized bolts so pick up some good penetrating lube and soak all the bolts the night before.