7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

True 7th gen potential

Old 12-27-2010
Sedans > Coupes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
True 7th gen potential

I have a 2005 LX-G sedan, 110,000km. I want to know what the true potential of my car is.

After having some fun with my friends WRX STI, I decided that if I can't get decent power and fun out of the civic, I'll sell it and get a Subaru in a year and a half, when I graduate and start my career and start making real money. I know I can't turn the civic totally into an STI but all I want to know is what the true potential of my 7th gen is.

I'm guessing it would be a k-swap, right? Better suspension, intake, exhaust, and all the works. How much would everything set me back? $15,000? That's the most I'd be willing to put into the car.

The reason I want to know now, is because if I can't get the performance I want out of it, I won't make any changes to it so I can sell it as is in a year and a half, since no one likes to buy someone else's project. But if there's decent power and potential within my car, then I can start making asthetical changes now (fogs, de-badging, racing seats, etc).

Videos of good 7th gens would be nice, too, if you have any.

Cheers
Old 12-27-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: True 7th gen potential

K swap or turbo build is the only way to go.

If you wanted speed from a 7th gen.
huge tip: save your money and buy the STI instead.

7th gens are DD cars, not track cars
Old 12-27-2010
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Though the STI is such an amazing car, what's keeping me interesting in building the civic up is that I think it would be an awesome experience. I would love to learn about how to do it all, and then actually do it. Not to mention, I would prefer having a sleeper civic than a ballsy STI that every ricer is going to try and drag race against at every red light.

I just want to know how good civics can be, and I'll base my final decision on that.
Old 12-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

so you have 15,000 grand to turn your car into a wrx then your going to sell it for a wrx. i don't understand why don't you sell your car and buy a actual wrx ???
Old 12-27-2010
Sedans > Coupes

I never said I'd sell it for a wrx. I'm asking what the true potential of a civic is, so I can make my decision. Either I will build up the civic over the next few years, ultimately swapping the engine once the d17 is older, or I will not build up the car in any way, then sell in a year and a half as is, and buy an STI.

I just want to know how good a 7th gen can get.
Old 12-27-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

7th gen are strut based suspension.
If you want to make a sleeper, the 6th gen are better option since they have the double wishbone suspension (neg camber gains when you compress the suspension) and lighter chassis.
this is the reason the older civics can be national champions in autoX, while the 7th gen are not as such.
the 8th gen is more neutral handling, so better suited than 7th for building them and road racing (drag racing does not matter, a d17 turbo could get good results).
The option of 6th gen is good since base is not too expensive, allowing for more bucks for mods later on. I myself thinks one day i will try to get a 6th gen, but it's hard to find a not-so-much-molested platform to begin...
Just a warning: since fast&furious, there are more guys trying to race against civics than Sti's... sadly...
which part in QC?
you might seem my civic in Montreal

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-27-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2010
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point

As already stated, K-swap and or boost will net you some nice dyno graphs. Otherwise, sell the car.
Old 12-28-2010
Sedans > Coupes

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
7th gen are strut based suspension.
If you want to make a sleeper, the 6th gen are better option since they have the double wishbone suspension (neg camber gains when you compress the suspension) and lighter chassis.
this is the reason the older civics can be national champions in autoX, while the 7th gen are not as such.
the 8th gen is more neutral handling, so better suited than 7th for building them and road racing (drag racing does not matter, a d17 turbo could get good results).
The option of 6th gen is good since base is not too expensive, allowing for more bucks for mods later on. I myself thinks one day i will try to get a 6th gen, but it's hard to find a not-so-much-molested platform to begin...
Just a warning: since fast&furious, there are more guys trying to race against civics than Sti's... sadly...
which part in QC?
you might seem my civic in Montreal
Lots of info, nice. I didn't know that about the suspension. I won't get a 6th gen though (although I think the 2000 coupe is the nicest of all civics), because my current 7th gen doubles as a people mover... it needs to be reliable. I can't risk getting a beat up 6th gen that's been run into the ground by a ricer. Yes yes, I know engine swaps, and mods will make my 7th gen less reliable, but whatever.

My gf lives in Pointe Claire, right beside Kirkland. If you've ever been to the Kirkland cinema Guzzo then you've been close to her place. She's got an apartment just 5 minutes away, on a road that's perpendicular to Hymus. I spend most of my time at her place. I grew up in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu though (and still technically live with my parents there, even though I'm almost always in Montreal), about 40km southeast of Montreal.

Post a picture or two of your Civic; I'll let you know if I've seen it. Can't make any promises though... I'm sure you know how many oil burning fart cannon Civics there are around here.

Last edited by Brian1037; 12-28-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

pb_boosted_es2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brian1037
Though the STI is such an amazing car, what's keeping me interesting in building the civic up is that I think it would be an awesome experience. I would love to learn about how to do it all, and then actually do it. Not to mention, I would prefer having a sleeper civic than a ballsy STI that every ricer is going to try and drag race against at every red light.

I just want to know how good civics can be, and I'll base my final decision on that.
I feel you on those points. You can have loads of funs with the 7th gen. I once had a mechanic at a shop that i have some work done tell me he's driven lots of fast cars but this was some of the most fun he's had.

But you have to put some work in which you're willing to do.

At this point i'm saving for my build. I'm looking to push 450-500whp out of my d17a2.

I'm presently sitting on D2Racing coilovers full adjustable. Handles great, i have the most fun taking corners and taking winding roads at high speeds.
Engine mods are stock with arp head studs and boosted on 7.5lbs with a baby turbo. Ebay t3 .42trim to be exact. .::turbo size makes a big difference::.
Dezod race manifold
Godspeed intercooler kit & wastegate 44mm v-band
Bomz racing 2.5 exhaust pipe
Autozone flex pipe intake
Act clutch. F1 racing flywheel

& the results were i more than doubled my whp.

Vids, you can always check youtube.
I do have a vid on there, i believe the title is rwd snail vs frankie's rsx type s vs jrc_goose boosted d17

My thoughts b4 i do internals etc are intake mani swap for an increase of about 15-20/25hp
Bigger turbo & increase to about 9.5/10lbs for an increase of about 30-40hp
To see if i can hit 300whp before i start the build.
Also change out my light weight flywheel for a heavier one for better topend.

At the end of the day. You'll have fun if u boost or kswap
Just depends what you're trying to do.
400whp i say build the sohc
Kswap if More. If not, not that welk worth it in my eyes.

Shout outs to Jerry at D2Racing for partial sponsorship.
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

forgot, and i'm turning presently on a aem fi/c unit.
Kpro later on.
Old 12-28-2010
Sedans > Coupes

Very interesting. I was really hoping to get an answer like this. Makes me wanna build up the 7th gen But I have a ton of learning to do first. I don't know what 75% of what you just said is. But we all started at this point!

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

My gf lives in Pointe Claire, right beside Kirkland. If you've ever been to the Kirkland cinema Guzzo then you've been close to her place. She's got an apartment just 5 minutes away, on a road that's perpendicular to Hymus. I spend most of my time at her place. I grew up in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu though (and still technically live with my parents there, even though I'm almost always in Montreal), about 40km southeast of Montreal.

Post a picture or two of your Civic; I'll let you know if I've seen it. Can't make any promises though... I'm sure you know how many oil burning fart cannon Civics there are around here.
About the engine, the worst part is that you have a LX, so no v-tec (D17A1 engine).
if you had the EX, it would just be a matter or dropping a crower stage1 cam to get a few more ponies...
I am in joliette, to the east mostly pass in montreal once a week if much...
here you go, black on black, lowered but camber corrected and the damned anzo's in front with the block heater plug hanging in front
Name:  DSC07007-1.jpg
Views: 5650
Size:  113.0 KB
Old 12-28-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pb_boosted_es2
Dezod race manifold
Godspeed intercooler kit & wastegate 44mm v-band
Bomz racing 2.5 exhaust pipe
Autozone flex pipe intake
Act clutch. F1 racing flywheel
How do you feel about the Bomz exhaust?
I hear mixed reviews on them (but mostly good for vics), same with BBP
Sound good?

Very interesting. I was really hoping to get an answer like this. Makes me wanna build up the 7th gen But I have a ton of learning to do first. I don't know what 75% of what you just said is. But we all started at this point!

Thanks.
D/W about it, i know less than you
It's a steep learning curve to build a car, but in the end you'll be proud of all the work you've put into it

You ever get the fishbowl syndrome? I cant stand having untinted windows...
feels like everyone's looking into my car :X
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

I personally love it. It sounds great. Quiet which i like. Opens up on full throttle but the db level is nowhere as loud as the skunk2's etc.

The only problem i found was right after the firewall there's an elbow before the connecting flange that points downwards that tends to rub over speed bumps or hitting humps at high speeds which i've done before stretching her legs. But apart from that, well worth the $129.99 i paid on ebay.

& yea if he had the ex/d17a2 he would make alot more than the a1. But what's 50 or so whp right
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

Thanks.

I'm glad i could help
Old 12-28-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

At this point i'm saving for my build. I'm looking to push 450-500whp out of my d17a2.
So, you know that if you achieve those numbers you would set a d17 record right?

To make 489hp, the record, Andy was running 110 octance at 32psi and he went through multiple motors in the process. That was after spending $10k+++..

On a k24a2 you can reach 400-450hp boosted on completely stock internals, which is a much more reasonable option in my opinion. The build cost isn't all that different, maybe even less, and you maintain some degree of reliability since your not pushing the limits.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-28-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2010
Sedans > Coupes

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
How do you feel about the Bomz exhaust?
I hear mixed reviews on them (but mostly good for vics), same with BBP
Sound good?

D/W about it, i know less than you
It's a steep learning curve to build a car, but in the end you'll be proud of all the work you've put into it

That's a sick car man.

Once thing I didn't mention is that this summer I plan on doing a d17a2 head swap. I saw in another thread that it should be under about $500 which is perfect. Should be enough to set me over until it's turbo time. I won't do it myself... I'll get it done with a shop and I'll watch how it's done so I can learn at the same time. I just don't have enough experience to do it myself.
Old 12-28-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

That's a sick car man.

Once thing I didn't mention is that this summer I plan on doing a d17a2 head swap. I saw in another thread that it should be under about $500 which is perfect. Should be enough to set me over until it's turbo time. I won't do it myself... I'll get it done with a shop and I'll watch how it's done so I can learn at the same time. I just don't have enough experience to do it myself.
If you want to do a build then upgrading to the vtec head is an important step, but it only gives you an extra 15hp or so.. no huge gains.
Old 12-28-2010
Sedans > Coupes

Originally Posted by MindBomber
If you want to do a build then upgrading to the vtec head is an important step, but it only gives you an extra 15hp or so.. no huge gains.
The most important part about the vtec head is that ill finally be able to put the VTEC stickers all over my car!!!

Lol but seriously, the d17a2 head will be a major improvement over the lifeless d17a1
Old 12-28-2010
Kenny the Ricer

I personally love it. It sounds great. Quiet which i like. Opens up on full throttle but the db level is nowhere as loud as the skunk2's etc.
Sweet, I'll look into getting one, if possible, can you do a rev video?
I'd really like to hear it.

And yeah, skunk2 are fartcans, but outperforms cheap ebay ones.

That's a sick car man.

Try to do as much as possible by yourself. Even if you break something you know what you broke.
If the mechanic did something wrong, you wont know till it's too late.
A lot of people find that out the hard way.

i'm sure a lot of places let you rent lifts and tools to do all the work yourself.
If you don't know what you're doing, feel free to ask. A lot of people here have useful information
Old 12-28-2010
Sedans > Coupes

Sweet, I'll look into getting one, if possible, can you do a rev video?
I'd really like to hear it.

And yeah, skunk2 are fartcans, but outperforms cheap ebay ones.

Try to do as much as possible by yourself. Even if you break something you know what you broke.
If the mechanic did something wrong, you wont know till it's too late.
A lot of people find that out the hard way.

i'm sure a lot of places let you rent lifts and tools to do all the work yourself.
If you don't know what you're doing, feel free to ask. A lot of people here have useful information
Yeah for sure. I'm not going to blindly go into anything. I'm planning on making a thread next summer to find a good reputation shop that I can go to. I know there's more Quebec members around the forums here who might have a recommendation. I'd also be willing to drive a bit, as far as New Brunswick or Manitoba, just to get to a good reputation shop. If I could have someone do it with me (someone who's got experience of course) then I'd consider the DIY route.
Old 12-28-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The most important part about the vtec head is that ill finally be able to put the VTEC stickers all over my car!!!

Lol but seriously, the d17a2 head will be a major improvement over the lifeless d17a1
Going, Going, VVVTTTTEEEECCCC, Gone!
Old 12-28-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...15hp, i'm not sure how much more it really gives. but i know the ex decimates the lx. maybe the exhaust manifold also leachs power from the lx, not sure but in any case my mom has an lx and my ex is a hell af alot more potent, even before vtec kicks in. again i'm guessing it's the exhaust system on the lx cars.

i don't like how big and boxy the sti cars are, if i didn't have a civic i wouldn't buy an sti even if i had the money. and i would definatley think you'd get way more racers after you if you had one... i always tail them, =D they are cool after all just not my style.
Old 12-28-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If I had the money I would probably buy the M1 being released this spring, but the Sti hatch would be a contender.

Maybe its the fancy EX oil pan that adds all the power

Originally Posted by mac25
...15hp, i'm not sure how much more it really gives. but i know the ex decimates the lx. maybe the exhaust manifold also leachs power from the lx, not sure but in any case my mom has an lx and my ex is a hell af alot more potent, even before vtec kicks in. again i'm guessing it's the exhaust system on the lx cars.

i don't like how big and boxy the sti cars are, if i didn't have a civic i wouldn't buy an sti even if i had the money. and i would definatley think you'd get way more racers after you if you had one... i always tail them, =D they are cool after all just not my style.
Old 12-28-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

yaaaa oil pan!
Old 12-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

bwaahhhahaha!
It's worse if you picking your nose and see the guy next to you staring!
Unfortunately my car passes through too many states, so keeping it safe (too many different laws depending on state...)

And Brian, sorry, don't know reputable shops... I am in QC since end January and leaving next year... And i never did disassemble my engine yet...
But since you doing a head swap, drop the crower stage1 cam
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

So, you know that if you achieve those numbers you would set a d17 record right?

To make 489hp, the record, Andy was running 110 octance at 32psi and he went through multiple motors in the process. That was after spending $10k+++..

On a k24a2 you can reach 400-450hp boosted on completely stock internals, which is a much more reasonable option in my opinion. The build cost isn't all that different, maybe even less, and you maintain some degree of reliability since your not pushing the limits.
Not looking to set records and yea, saw his 490 hp build, idr if that was whp or to the crank.. But i'm hoping to do so on 15-20lbs of boost. My aim's are to reach my goals on 15lbs without cams and all that. Do intend to build the head to be able to with stand 11,000rpm & have the cranck balanced to about 13,000 for safety.

If i gotta go over 15lbs i will have to swap my intake mani. Which i plan to do sooner or later.

& i do know it's easier to make 450-500whp with the k.
My boy has a 06 si on 12lbs making 440whp. Stock motor. Idr what size turbo. As i said b4. The size makes a difference.

But if u don't plan on doing over 500. I personally don't see the point
Old 12-29-2010
Kenny the Ricer

bwaahhhahaha!
It's worse if you picking your nose and see the guy next to you staring!
Unfortunately my car passes through too many states, so keeping it safe (too many different laws depending on state...)

And Brian, sorry, don't know reputable shops... I am in QC since end January and leaving next year... And i never did disassemble my engine yet...
But since you doing a head swap, drop the crower stage1 cam
omg, I always see those guys picking their noses. then they fling their boogers out the window :O

And if your car is registered in a county/state where tints are allowed, you can keep them in your car through every state.
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

& running 93oct.

p.s. add to my rep* build me up.
Old 12-29-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: True 7th gen potential