7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AEM cam gear and pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02civic1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM cam gear and pulleys

I'm getting my timing belt changed soon on my 2002 honda civic Ex 5 speed at a local shop and I thought well while there under there I might as well get a Cam gear and get some pulleys. What do you guys think worth the money or save the money?
Old 12-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AEM cam gear and pulleys

Save the money. The problem with the aftermarket pulleys is the often arent balanced properly and can cause havoc to the interior bearings of the engine. I know you haven't mentioned it, but DO NOT get an aftermarket crank pulley, a member on here installed one and couldn't get it off because there was no space for the hex tool
Old 12-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

just for looks is my thinking.
not so much gains in a single cam engine
Old 12-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks nice, destroys your engine. Besides, you can't even see it unless you remove the gay plastic shield, unless you want a nice power steering pulley?
Old 12-16-2010
Registered!!

Thanks i'm saving the money
Old 12-16-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

cam gear is completely useless, and the cam cover will not fit back on with aftermarket gear. i dont think you want that timing belt exposed to water and rocks. the pulley kit is okay if you use the power steering pulley only. the alt pulley will have you buying a new alternator in a few months. the PS pulley is completely safe and will prolly give you +1hp and look nice. ive had mine for years and i put it on mostly for looks. no difference in power steering feel.
Old 12-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Well, the power steering one is really the only pulley you can see
Old 12-16-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

or...

You could just remove the power steering belt and add 3-4hp for free!
Old 12-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Yea you could do that If you do make sure you install a breather type system to save the rest of your steering system
Old 12-16-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tbohar
Yea you could do that If you do make sure you install a breather type system to save the rest of your steering system
I'd remove the entire system and drop the excess weight, theres quite a few pounds to be shed there.

But, more on topic if you want to add pulleys or cam gears the best brand is Unorthodox Racing.
Old 12-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

You remove the entire thing you destroy your steering system... You can save some weight by converting it to a breather, there is no other way to get rid of it
Old 12-17-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

really?

I don't know much about power steering, but how would the system be destroyed if your removed it and bleed all the fluid out.
Old 12-17-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you want fluid circulating thru the rack. this wont happen if you only cut the belt. there is a really good diy here for a breather conversion and it still gives you good steering feel.
Old 12-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

^ What he said. But I will add that you can't remove the rack and removing the entire P/S system will have the same consequences on the rack as simply cutting the belt. BTW The power steering rack goes for 530 dollars!!!

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=P.S.+GEAR+BOX
Old 12-17-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I don't think I would actually remove the rack or do a breather conversion anytime soon, adding 3-4hp isn't really worth the trouble for me. I just want to understand how removing and storing the system would harm it, whats so sensitive that it needs to have a constant charge of fluid flowing through it?

I might have to hit up Triz about the unorthodox pulley in his sale thread after Christmas..
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

I'll just save the money i've done research on intake headers and exhaust but found mixed reviews on unorthodox pulleys the crankshaft pulley will end up killing you in the end theres only one thread I could find on the AEM pulleys but some say you could notice Hp others say you couldn't i've been trying to find dyno sheets with those on there. Maybe i'll start with a CAI which i'll probably only gain 2hp WOW thats alot........or maybe save my money but no cam gear or pulleys for me not unless I find them cheap. But thank you guys for the help.
Old 12-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I don't exactly know but the fluid lubricates the rack right, so lack of running fluid would eventually ruin it... I'm not 100% sure, gearbox might know.
Old 12-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Even a CAI is kind of a waste... and a little more dangerous than a short ram because it sits so much lower in the engine compartment. I would recommend a short ram if you were to do anything. (Seems a lot of mods get slammed due to safety)
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Yeah i've been debating on short ram or cold air but after research people say you gain more torque and Hp from a CAI than a SRI but with D17 I doubt it will really even matter.

Last edited by 02civic1991; 12-17-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

It won't. The D17 does not react to bolt ons at all. A CAI and short ram will only give you sound, not power. The risk with a CAI is you might suck up water and hydrolock your engine. You have to be very careful around puddles and such.
Old 12-17-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If you do go with a CAI get a Injen HydroShield, its still an unnecessary risk, but at least its a bit safer that way.
http://www.injen.com/docs/products/listing.asp?pcc=rp

You won't be able to find dyno sheets for minor mods like intakes, exhausts and pulleys, because no one wants to waste $125 an hour to find out there intake added 2hp.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-17-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2010
Premium Member

idk, some guy at autozone told me civics love intake and exhaust. it just makes it a whole different car

It won't. The D17 does not react to bolt ons at all. A CAI and short ram will only give you sound, not power. The risk with a CAI is you might suck up water and hydrolock your engine. You have to be very careful around puddles and such.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

It looks nice.
Old 12-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
idk, some guy at autozone told me civics love intake and exhaust. it just makes it a whole different car
to dive with earplugs?
Or the fact that you can dump your horn and just downshift? Brooooowooowoo!
Old 12-18-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Probably the same guy who always calls my civic a prelude. lol
Old 12-18-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Did you correct him lol?

BMWs actually do respond to intake and exhaust if you give them a proper tune after, you can easily add 100hp+ with straight bolt ons
Old 12-18-2010
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I might have to hit up Triz about the unorthodox pulley in his sale thread after Christmas..
Why not make it a christmas present to yourself. Lets make it happen!
Old 12-18-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BMWs ... can't compare to Civics.. unless you work at Autozone
Old 12-18-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

BMWs ... can't compare to Civics.. unless you work at Autozone
Pfft.. theres no skill in building a car built for performance!

Its us trying to build economy cars into race cars that have mad skills
Old 12-18-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I always said that anyone can make an 8 cylinder fast, it takes a mad scientist to make a 4 cylinder fast.

Quick Reply: AEM cam gear and pulleys