7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield Washer Pump Replace

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JRunyon21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Windshield Washer Pump Replace

It seems like every month there is something different that goes wrong. My windshield fluid pump is not working(At last I think that is the problem).

Reason 1:There is no whinning noise made when I try to use the washer fluid but the wipers work(That eliminates fuse and line plugage, right?). This leads me to believe my pump is bad.
Reason 2: I asked my dad to use some of his washerfluid from home and I've come to find out that he dilutes his. Slightly warmer temps so he must get by with doing this. I think the water expanded in my pump and broke it. I had no idea and I paid the price.

How can I gain access to the pump? I really do not want to take of the bumper(As I read i will likely have to). Any suggestions? If I do have to take the bumper off, is there a DIY for doing this.

As always, all help is greatly appreciated.

-Jason
Old 12-06-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windshield Washer Pump Replace

you can probably get to it by removing the driver side fender liner (the black plastic above the tire). and reach your hand in that way. i think most ppl take the bumper off because its complicated to change. you have to unplug the harness and slide the pump out carefully because there are lines attached to it and its sealed to the tank. i have a used 01-05 civic oem washer pump for $5 shipped sitting here if you want it. works perfectly, i just never used the washer system so i took it out a while ago. has hardly any use on it maybe 40 squirts.
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
you can probably get to it by removing the driver side fender liner (the black plastic above the tire). and reach your hand in that way. i think most ppl take the bumper off because its complicated to change. you have to unplug the harness and slide the pump out carefully because there are lines attached to it and its sealed to the tank. i have a used 01-05 civic oem washer pump for $5 shipped sitting here if you want it. works perfectly, i just never used the washer system so i took it out a while ago. has hardly any use on it maybe 40 squirts.
If you can get it shipped out today I am all for it. I'll PM you.
Old 12-06-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yup i sent you invoice. i can ship asap once paypal is received.
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
...maybe 40 squirts.
Sorry, couldn't help it.

edit: What gearbox said, just take off the driver's side inner fender and it's right there, can't miss it.

Last edited by lazlong; 12-06-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2010
Premium Member

hmm well guess he couldnt get back on to send money today. i have it sitting here waiting to ship. it should be easy, just yank the old one off and put the big hole in the tank and the little hole gets connected to the tube. i will include some extra tubing too if you need it. oh yeah and dont forget to plug the connector back in. and fill the tank before using. if you run it dry, the pump will fail pretty quick (my pump has never run when dry).
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

Thanks gearbox. I will let you know how things go.

-Jason
Old 12-07-2010
Premium Member

i should have it shipped out early this morning thanks
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I'm a photo *****, what can I say.
Name:  wiperfluidpump.jpg
Views: 4871
Size:  72.9 KB
Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

Pump came in yesterday. I will be putting it in tomorrow. Should I just pull the old pump out and let all the fluid drain out? I will let you know how it goes. Thanks gearbox

Thanks lazlong. Should be an easy fix by looking at the pic.

-Jason
Old 12-10-2010
Premium Member

yeah the fluid you can catch and reuse if you have a pan to let it drain in. it should pull out and the new one pushes in. dont forget to remove and replace the hose on it. and the electrical connector. it can be a pain to get that one off and i forget how its clamped in. try not to break off the mounting tab.
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

Need help ASAP. I have no idea how to get those clips off under the wheel well to get access to the pump. I messed with them a lil but I think im gna break them. Im gna go and do my oil change and cpl other things. Hopefully I someone replies.
Old 12-11-2010
Premium Member

just pop the centers off with a flathead screwdriver on either side where there is an opening to stick it. then pull the whole thing out with both pieces together. if they are super old, you may break a couple. luckily a bulk pack is pretty cheap on ebay. if they are old you will have a heck of a time prying off just the center. be careful not to break the center round piece, otherwise it will be stuck and you have to use extreme force to pry the clip out and break it.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

Yeah, if I'm gonna be taking any off I get a pack or 2 from Oreillys.
Old 12-13-2010
Registered!!

Figured the clips out by doing a little diggin in the forums. Broke about 3 clips. Ordered a lot of 20 for $5. Pump replacement went fine. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-2016
Registered!!

honda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the rough

Can I get the reservoir out via the front driver's side wheelwell too? It is frozen and I want to thaw it and put in low temp fluid.

(It appears I stupidly added some fancy anti-bug debris windshield washer fluid to the reservoir this summer and did not think to check the freeze point. I no longer have a garage. It's going to be below freezing for several days. I have added some booster washer fluid that is supposed to bring the freezing point down to -20 F, but it won't go past the frozen fluid already in there. I may try high concentration rubbing alcohol and, if I can get my hands on a hair dryer, this too.)

Edit: Never mind. I warmed up some RainX Booster, added it, let it warm things, pumped out as much as I could with a $3 hand pump from Home Depot, and repeated until all the frozen fluid was gone and the lines were flushed. I added a 50/50 solution of RainX Booster.

Last edited by honda.lioness; 01-13-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
Edit: Never mind. I warmed up some RainX Booster, added it, let it warm things, pumped out as much as I could with a $3 hand pump from Home Depot, and repeated until all the frozen fluid was gone and the lines were flushed. I added a 50/50 solution of RainX Booster.

At work I have a garden hose connected to a regular sink faucet, I turn on the hot water, stuff a long rubber hose as deep into the frozen washer tank as it will go, then squirt hot water right into it. Keep pushing the rubber hose in as the ice melts. I can thaw a completely full frozen tank in less than 10 minutes this way. Run the washer pump to empty the water then refill with good low temp fluid.

Easiest choice is to let it thaw on a day the temp is above freezing, then REMEMBER to actually run the washers til they quit squirting (tank emptied), then refill with low temp fluid. My problem is forgetting to do this while it's easy.
Old 01-13-2016
Registered!!

honda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the rough

Good tip, ezone.