7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Help Exhaust ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01civiclx94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help Exhaust ??

I was looking to get a DC sports muffler with the silencer for my 2001 coupe. Will it still have that nice deep tone or will it be that raspy crap. I only want to get a nice sound i dont care about HP. What's the difference if i just get the muffler instead of a full catback system? i'm on a tight budget and this muffler is only like 125
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

Re: Help Exhaust ??

Oh and the muffler has a 2.5'' tip
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

stay away from coffee can style canister mufflers get an oval style with dense packing.
Old 11-27-2010
Registered!!

This is the muffler. It's stainless steal 2.5'' tip
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DC Muffler.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	79693  
Old 11-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

dc sound clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9g_fu_Yii8
i would get something like this if you want a deep tone
http://daddyscaraccessories.rpmware....6/i-37097.aspx
Old 11-28-2010
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold

my canister on my catback is like 4.5 inches. and its not an oval, and its not raspy at all. check my sig. im pretty sure raspniness has nothing to do with if the canister is oval or not. i would go with a full catback if you want a deeper tone.
Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

the longer the canister is the deeper the sound will be, the shorter it is the more high pitch raspy, and majin does your exhaust system have a positive resonator inline with the catback system, and the 4.5 i assume means diameter of the muffler. All those canisters are is just a shiny cased glasspack. 15-18 inch long canister will get you a really deep tone with a 4 cylinder, 6 inch glasspack (canister) will sound like a never ending fart tube. 12-15 inch long muffler will have that i'm a sporty civic sound. this is just rough estimates. I ran a 18 inch glasspack on an accord and it had a very deep tone.
Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

i forgot to mention these estimates only work on canister style mufflers (glasspacks), because oval mufflers have more sound deadening material or more then one chamber inside them for noise dampening
Old 12-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Uhhh, oval, circle, triangle, or octagon shapped tips dont matter one bit. Its about the piping coming from the engine to the exhaust tip... if its too big, it'll sound raspy, if its smaller like stock it will be quite... if its hallow it will resonate and be loud... guys, just go on youtube and type the muffler name in followed by civic and listen to them yourself. Everyone has different ears and different opinions. Find one you like, and give them your visa number. Done deal.
Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

the diameter doesn't play much roll in the sound itself, its the length of pipe, and what you have at the end deadening the sound. With a small engine like in a honda you should never go any bigger then 2 to 2.5 inch diameter (2.5 if you have a good cam that can get more air through on a NA motor), personal choice 2.25 inch. Unless you have a turbo setup, then bigger the exhaust the faster the turbo will spool, but not going into that.

disassembled glasspack (same thing as a canister muffler)
http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/wp-co....muffler.1.JPG

the shorter it is the less noise cancelation you get, and if you ever heard a honda without a muffler its a high pitched sound (has nothing to do with diameter of pipe). The longer the muffler is the more noise cancelation you get, and being that honda has a small engine once a majority of the high pitch noise is cancelled you get left with a deeper hollow tone.

example: take the cardboard paper towel tube and try to yell through it, then try it with a bigger pvc 4 inch plumbing tube, you'll figure it out, sound dynamics
Old 12-05-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ I disagree... Theres no way your going to get the same exhaust note out of a stock pipe as you would a 2.25 incher. Yes, the bigger the pipe the more air will go through it, but after you reach a certain size, the bigger the pipe hurts your power and torque because its overkill and the air cant exit the pipe, but that also causes the note of your exhaust to change.

If you ever heard your car with no exhaust, its not high piched, its just deep, and loud as ****.
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

its not a deep tone just loud as fxck, once in rev you'll hear the high pitch rip and like i said too big of pipe in diameter is bad on na motors, turbo'd engines are different they work better with less back pressure.