7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

car wants to pull forward.. in NEUTRAL!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FrankMazzarella is an unknown quantity at this point
Question car wants to pull forward.. in NEUTRAL!?

I have a 2004 civic lx (auto) and i noticed that while driving if i shift into neutral and rev hard the car actually pulls forward.

I know the hondamatic transmission for the 7th gen is awful but why does this happen and what should i do
Old 11-19-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: car wants to pull forward.. in NEUTRAL!?

Pulls forward like a gentle roll or like its actually in gear?
Old 11-19-2010
Registered!!

its a noticable tug, the speed increases. only at high rpm's also.

I tested this while i was not moving by parking on a flat surface shifting into neutral and reving, nothing the car was stationary. but when going about 35-37mph is when i tested this. the car increased to 40mph.
Old 11-19-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

that is a problem. either there is too much trans fluid, or defective clutch(es) which we all know about. so if the fluid is fine when you check it hot, then its an internal problem that requires rebuilding. so long as it still drives, i wouldnt worry for now. but check the fluid level just in case (warm up the car by driving for at least 30 mins thru all the gears, park on flat ground, leave engine running and trans in park, check the dipstick level several times to get a good reading. it should be at the max line).
Old 11-19-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
that is a problem. either there is too much trans fluid, or defective clutch(es) which we all know about. so if the fluid is fine when you check it hot, then its an internal problem that requires rebuilding. so long as it still drives, i wouldnt worry for now. but check the fluid level just in case (warm up the car by driving for at least 30 mins thru all the gears, park on flat ground, leave engine running and trans in park, check the dipstick level several times to get a good reading. it should be at the max line).
thanks for the reply. i will be sure to check for that and i will repost back probably 2-3 hrs from now.

thanks again. but hey, if i do need an $1800 rebuild how much do you think a good shop would charge to convert me to a manual?
Old 11-19-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If the car doesn't move when its stationary I wouldn't be concerned, there are countless variables involved with the car increasing a speed slightly while moving. I'd suspect that the decrease in friction allows the car to increase in speed slightly, before it starts slowing down.

Now, if the car was moving in neutral while parked on a flat surface then I'd be concerned.
Old 11-19-2010
Registered!!

well im not too concerned but if it is a big problem then i want to take care of it asap.

back to what gearbox suggested. i drove the car for 30 mns in all gears and when i checked trans fluid i found that there is about 3-4 mm too much fluid. thats a very small ammount but should i be concerned?

thanks (also, car has never slipped and shifts like butter)
Old 11-19-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Drain the fluid to the proper level and see if the slight surge still occurs, this has me curious so I'm going to go try this in my car and my truck.
Old 11-19-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yes be concerned. just drain some fluid out and recheck. too much trans fluid can lead to bigger problems later.
Old 11-19-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't really be revving the car high in neutral anyway?
Old 11-19-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Shouldn't really be revving the car high in neutral anyway?
your absolutely right haha i waiting for a comment like this. I actually heard of a car doing this and decided to try mine. bad luck i guess. Im going to drain the fluid maybe tonight or sometime tomorrow. I will let you guys know of the results. also gearbox says to have fluid ON the max line. Is less ok as long as its between the marks?

btw MindBomber let me know how that goes. and again, thanks!
Old 11-19-2010
Premium Member

a little less is okay.
Old 11-19-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

too low and you can put hotspots on the clutch packs or was it the flex plate, you should be right at optimum level with fluid, rule of thumb though you would have to have a high excess if you're a hair over the optimum mark on tranny dipstick it won't hurt anything, too much fluid and you would smell a burning sweet smell and it would smoke. You could also blow out tranny seals with too much fluid. If you're going to drain it, i would say just drain and fill it or if you have the money just get the tranny fluid flushed.

Last edited by ExistEvolution; 11-19-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2010
Registered!!

ok i removed some fluid. i took out very little. on the dipstick it is slightly above the middle line, which is fine because it is still within the lines. unfortunately this made no difference. but at least it rules out the fluid possibilities.

so what is my next option? thanks
Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

so your car drives forward or just rolls forward?
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FrankMazzarella
its a noticable tug, the speed increases. only at high rpm's also.

I tested this while i was not moving by parking on a flat surface shifting into neutral and reving, nothing the car was stationary. but when going about 35-37mph is when i tested this. the car increased to 40mph.
this
Old 11-22-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Update!

I changed my trans fluid yesterday, and I was a little bit high when I first refilled, but before I drained a bit out I tested this. The car will pull forward with to much trans fluid, and draining it down to the proper level will solve the problem.
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Update!

I changed my trans fluid yesterday, and I was a little bit high when I first refilled, but before I drained a bit out I tested this. The car will pull forward with to much trans fluid, and draining it down to the proper level will solve the problem.
what is your car and at what rpm were you pulling at? also what is your fluid level because i am between the lines. was it enough to suck you into the seat?

thanks for helping me out with this one guys. ill get down to a tranny shop eventually haha
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

ok i read that but was it consistently picking up speed or just jump to 40mph, if it just bump to 40 mph there is nothing wrong with your car, its the people that can keep driving in neutral that have issues.
Old 11-22-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I just tried cause I knew my fluid was a bit high, and thats what gearbox said the problem was cause by. I wasn't scientific about it..

Originally Posted by FrankMazzarella
what is your car and at what rpm were you pulling at? also what is your fluid level because i am between the lines. was it enough to suck you into the seat?

thanks for helping me out with this one guys. ill get down to a tranny shop eventually haha
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

idk how much speed it would pick up i didnt hold it long at all, nor do i plan on trying it again
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Sorry, I would have posted this days ago if I wasn't camping for the last 5 days. (It was great by the way)

Name:  nuetralsurge.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  64.4 KB
Old 11-23-2010
Registered!!

UfailV8 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could have a malfunctioning throttel body/throttel body sensor. I had a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had the same symptoms.