7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Car tries to die...sensor issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jponto07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car tries to die...sensor issue?

Hey guys,
My '03 EX with 98K is acting up. Basically it acts like its going to die when I push the accelerator, but only in the first few minutes after start up. I just bought the car about 1000 miles ago, so I can't speak much to its history, but I've done all of the regular tune-up stuff since I purchased it.

This doesn't always happen, but if its going to happen on a particular trip, it does so immediately after start up. Pushing on the gas pedal once the idle drops only forces the RPMs lower, but if i floor it, the car takes off like a rocket.

Sometimes it even does this when shifting. If I back out of my parking space, and put it into drive, I can usually tell that the car is going to sputter. Prior to doing so, I can feel the lack of throttle response, almost like the plugs were shot and the oil was replaced with glue or something. So I go to take off, and the car is holding back as I accelerate, then when it shifts it the power just craps out. The car never stalls, but I get the feeling that it very well could.

I did get an o2 sensor code the other day(P0132) which went away after about 25 miles or so. I'm not convinced the problem is the o2 sensor due to the fact that the engine is generally cold when it does this (and the o2 sensor needs to be hot to send a signal). That being said, if the car sits for as little as 30 minutes, it might bog/stutter when I try to drive it (motor obviously still very warm).

This is really driving me crazy...any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 10-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Car tries to die...sensor issue?

Funny things could happen when your O2 sensor goes bad. However I would take a look at your tps sensor, had a problem similar to this and thats what it was.
Old 10-28-2010
Registered!!

How would I test the tps without an analog multimeter? I've heard that they are best for potentiometer type sensors. Also, isn't the throttle body and the tps a single unit on these cars? As I mentioned before, the car is fairly new to me.
Thank for the input!
Old 10-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

all ecu related, scan tool time
Old 10-29-2010
Registered!!

the motor doesn't make any unusual knocking sounds does it?
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

No, no unusual noises. It sounds like its dying/ barely ideling. What brand of scan tool do you recommend and what should I pay for it?
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jponto07
No, no unusual noises. It sounds like its dying/ barely ideling. What brand of scan tool do you recommend and what should I pay for it?
scan tools can get very expensive, cheaper to just pay for a complete diagnostic since its not going to be a reoccurring issue with a dying motor. You decide on that though. I'd say scan tool if you plan on working on cars other then just your own, because you can get a couple bucks off friends for fixing theirs cars when problems happen.

Another thing i totally forgot to mention, sorry.

The basics of a running motor, should be priority one:

Air/Fuel/Spark, check those 3 first.

Fuel - Check fuel pump and filter, and make sure you gas.

Spark - pull plugs out look to see if they are fouling out (scan tool can tell you this also, because it stores misfires)

Air - Never likely an issue, unless you got mice making homes in the airbox.

The scan tool can tell you anomalies in the system.

easy way to check fuel pump (old school way), turn key on and for a second or so you'll hear a whining sound coming from the area where the pump is located (have not tried this on the civic, might take a buddy holding his hear to the area)

Good luck