7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MAF sensor - Do we have one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aspork42 is an unknown quantity at this point
MAF sensor - Do we have one?

Sorry if this has been addressed, I can't find it in a search...

So the root of my problem is error code p0171 - "fuel system too lean" that the car threw after an oil change... I've done a lot of reading on this site and many others on the net. Yes, I know there are many ways the engine can run lean - bad O2 sensors, vacuum leaks, and other sensor malfunctions.

I can't seem to be able to locate a MAF sensor on my 2005 civic (1.7l lx coupe) to clean or test.
From what I've read (and asking to buy one at the store) is that there isn't one. Does the engine read from the IAT (intake air temp) and MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensors to know how much air came in?

I'm thinking that a dirty MAF would cause the lean code, but I can't find one...

* side notes follow below - I'm mostly just looking to know if we have a MAF *

(I have a Craftsman scanner - my Short term fuel trim is in the 30's when it should be around 0. I'm reading ~.3v (lean) on the first 02 and ~.8v (rich) on the second after the cat... is this normal that they would read that far different? why would the downstream be richer than the first? I've already tested 02s, IAT and MAP sensors. Engine pulls good vacuum from idle on up. Fuel pressure tester is on-order for bad pump/filter. Only other thing I haven't done is look for vac. leaks by spraying something flammable around the engine bay and I'm not too keen on that idea...)
Old 10-19-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough
Re: MAF sensor - Do we have one?

Yes you have a MAF sensor. MAF sensor is short for mass air flow sensor.
Usually when your car runs lean there is a change in the air/fuel ratio.
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

It's either gonna be your primary O2 sensor(1), valve clearance, injectors, or EVAP canister purge valve.

Did you check primary O2 sensor output while it was running?

As quoted from the service manual: "Is the output less than 0.3V or more than 0.6V?

YES- replace the primary O2 sensor

No- Go to step 4
Name:  P0171.jpg
Views: 13156
Size:  119.9 KB
Old 10-20-2010
Registered!!

A+ on posting that image. Yes, the EVAP solenoid holds good vacuum (like 10 inHg for 10 minutes until I unhooked it)
The primary O2 was reading ~.297v and would go to ~.5v momentarily when I blip the throttle (read directly off the sensor wires).

So if there is in fact a MAF, could someone please post an image or a link to an image? For the life of me, I can’t find one. I’ve pulled the one on my 96 firebird for reference. The only connection on any of the Honda’s airbox assemblies is the IAT that plugs in past the air filter, almost directly above the throttle body. The rest of the sensors/solenoids are past the throttle body (idle air control, MAP, EVAP solenoid). I have pulled out all the airbox components and found nothing.

The car still purrs like a kitten and runs like the day it was new. This problem came up right after an oil change... I think I need to start spraying flammables around the engine compartment in hopes to find a vacuum leak...
Old 10-20-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

There is no MAF on our cars. You could try replacing #8: http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...itch=&hidIrno=
Old 10-20-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Ya on further investigation you dont have a MAF sensor, the 8th gen civics have a MAF sensor.
Old 10-21-2010
Registered!!

The Purge sol. holds pressure. I think the Primary O2 is bad...

How strict is the <3v and > 6v rule for the O2 sensor?
I was reading about .28-.29. I could blip the throttle and get up to .5v, but it would always settle down to <3. It wouldn’t really change when the fan was running or not.
Old 10-21-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

01-05 civic has MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor.
Old 10-21-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by aspork42
The Purge sol. holds pressure. I think the Primary O2 is bad...

How strict is the <3v and > 6v rule for the O2 sensor?
I was reading about .28-.29. I could blip the throttle and get up to .5v, but it would always settle down to <3. It wouldn’t really change when the fan was running or not.
Don't know. I'd hate to tell ya yes and have you waste $250 on a sensor.
Old 10-22-2010
Registered!!

Ok, your O2 sensor is fine.

You need to check for vacuum leaks again. 90% of the time it's a vacuum leak. With the car cold, hook up the scan tool and put it to read the O2 sensor output again. Take off the airbox and CAREFULLY spray each vacuum line with carb cleaner and look for a change in the sensor output or listen for the engine to rev. the reason you do it while the engine is still cold is the lines will swell and close the leak when they warm up.

If no leak, replace the purge valve.