7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

best catalytic converter for ex

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
d0ughbOy81 is an unknown quantity at this point
best catalytic converter for ex

i know some one posted this for a lx so........
both of my civics need new cats there both 2002 ex and i want to know what i should get. ones a auto the other is a 5speed plz help
Old 10-10-2010
raj
Registered!!

raj is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: best catalytic converter for ex

Lemme revive this cause I need one too. Im getting poor acceleration, louder noise and some vibration. I crawled underneath, tapped the coverter and stuff is rattling. Im guessing on the EX, the converter and down pipe is 1 piece.

Anybody replace theirs and put some miles on it?
Old 10-10-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I've been running a Random Technology hi-flow cat for.. years.. Long time now.. I have to replace mine because it's throwing a P0420 code (catalyst system under efficiency threshold), and when I took a look at it last, there's a FAT dent on the underside of it, possibly attributing to the 420 code. I'm gonna replace it with another one.

It's a direct replacement downpipe, 2.5" flared inlet, 2.25" piping, if I remember correctly. 50-state legal, too. Don't forget to buy the gasket/hardware kit with it.
http://www.dezod.com/cat-high-flow-convertors.cfm
$312 for the cat/downpipe, $32 for the gasket/hardware.
I can personally vouch for dezod.com.. been shopping with them for years.

And yes, on the ex, the cat is welded onto the downpipe. It doesn't matter if it's an auto or manual, it should fit the same. Only thing that would make a difference is if it was a D17A2 or D17A1 (ex vs dx/lx engine), and even then, if you slap this on a dx/lx, you'd probably be going for an ex exhaust conversion anyways.
Old 10-10-2010
raj
Registered!!

How many miles have you put on it? I wanna doubt the dent is causing your P0420. My sis had a 2000 Honda Odyssey (120k miles) and the previous owner put a Catco or Estern converter on it. About 10k miles later we had a P0420. I think the most likely cause was that coverter was not similar in size (Not enough Catalyst Material) to the stock OEM converter. The Random Tech converter looks similarly small compared to the OEM converter.

It'll probably keep the CEL P0420 off for a few thousand miles but it will return.

Last edited by raj; 10-10-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

The dent looks like someone tossed a 50mph softball at it.. So that's why I'm pretty sure it has something to do with it. The P0420 code showed up VERY recently, like within the last year. I've had it on my car since Fall 2004. Seeing as how it's a 50-state legal high flow cat, I'm sure it meets or exceeds the performance of an OEM cat, seeing as how CA is a stickler for emissions related stuff.

I've put... I wanna say some 80k miles on it.

edit: oh, and some bad misfiring due to a shoddy piggyback unit wiring job (coil back wires to the ECU ended up becoming severed) contributed to killing my kitty, as well.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 10-10-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2010
raj
Registered!!

The Eastern Converter was supposed to be 50-state legal as well and good for 50k miles but it failed. I've read other people had similar problems with aftermarket converters failing and when I asked what they had, they said Eastern, or Catco or something that looked identical.

Are there 02 bongs on the downpipe and on the converter itself on the Random Tech?
Old 10-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

yes, there are 2-O2 bungs on the downpipe, pre-cat and post-cat.
Old 10-11-2010
Registered!!

i was thinking about going with the magen racing cuz its only 100 bux shipped
Old 10-11-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Megan's only a test pipe, not a real cat..
Old 10-11-2010
Registered!!

whats the diff
http://d5otzd52uv6zz.cloudfront.net/...ae5d11-800.jpg
Old 10-11-2010
Administrator
Administrator

The megan "cat" is just a resonator installed in the downpipe.
Old 10-11-2010
Registered!!

soo theres no cheep way out of this
Old 10-11-2010
Administrator
Administrator

If you don't care about emissions, go for it.. Your car's gonna throw a CEL without an O2 simulator, and even then, sometimes the CEL pops up..