7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Not sure if I bought the right spark plugs (Denso IK20 vs IK20L)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kofrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Not sure if I bought the right spark plugs (Denso IK20 vs IK20L)

I decided to go ahead and replace the spark plugs in my car, I'm at 93,000 miles and I don't think they've ever been changed. I went ahead and bought 4 Denso Iridium spark plugs. Now the issue I just ran into was double checking the plugs I just got with Denso's website. The website says I need IK20L, I got IK20.

From what I understand the L signifies a longer electrode. I'm driving an '03 DX 1.7L Civic. Do I need to make the exchange for the IK20L or am I good to use the IK20 plugs?
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Not sure if I bought the right spark plugs (Denso IK20 vs IK20L)

yeah i believe that is the long life version that last more then 30,000 miles. im also using the IK20 denso plugs there good plugs but i think ill be going with NGK next change.
Old 10-05-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

IK20 is the performance version and works for all 01-05 civics. its currently the smallest electrode plug you can buy.
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

I'm thinking they are the right ones. When I did the parts lookup on amazon it informed me that they will work in my car. Denso's site doesn't even list a IK20L for '03 Civics on their part lookup. I haven't found much on google about differences between IK20 and IK20L.

I just want to make sure these will work without damaging anything. I'm still fairly new to working on my own car so I'm sure that adds some to my confusion about this.

Thank you lowlife9 for the reply!

A second opinion on whether or not these will work would be great though. I'd rather not have to deal with shipping & handling to exchange a part, yet I'm not sure if these plugs will work for me and above all I want a happy, working civic!
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

Thumbs up Re: Not sure if I bought the right spark plugs (Denso IK20 vs IK20L)

Originally Posted by gearbox
IK20 is the performance version and works for all 01-05 civics. its currently the smallest electrode plug you can buy.
You got me while I was still working on the reply!

Thank you both for confirming I did buy the right plugs. I'll be putting them in tomorrow. Here's to hoping I can get rid of the 2-second startup times!
Old 10-05-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is a "long life" version for our cars but its not the IK20L. its a much longer part number, SKJ20CR-A8

the IK20 is a great plug, the best you can buy. but dont expect miracles. even denso says they are not for improving performance. it uses less electrical energy and runs more efficiently, so you will prolly get some better gas mileage and smoother operation. dont expect any extra hp from a spark plug tho.

Last edited by gearbox; 10-05-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2010
Registered!!

Not looking for HP, I don't have that kind of time or money.. yet. I just want a smoother running car. Just trying to keep it all well maintained!