7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wannabulaklak is an unknown quantity at this point
HID help please

First I want to say that I am new to this forum so please be easy with me. Second I need help with HID install. So here goes. I have a DDM Tuning HID Kit 6k 35w HB2/H4 that I just bought brand new (mind that they don't come with instructions, when you buy them you just tell them what bulb size your car is and that's it). Well they said it was plug and play but its not that simple. The connector on the HID Kit and the OEM bulb are different. So its basically not plug and play. Its for a 2001 Civic LX Coupe. Also I was wondering if I had to buy another connector or some relay harness for it. Please help asap, thanks!

P.S. It's not my car, it's one of my friends and he's not much of a car enthusiast so he doesn't know about online forums. So I'm here on his behalf.

EDIT:
..Also I did research before posting here but no one had a DIY for the HB2/H4 that has actually working links and pictures up for the 01 coupe

Last edited by wannabulaklak; 09-22-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something else
Old 09-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: HID help please

why are you using the oem bulb i dont understand . my DDM kit came with instructions and definitely was plug and play you don't need a harness to connect everything but its recommended for safty reasons . either you have the wrong kit or its just human error on your part.
here is a basic diy for reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEZgs...eature=related

Last edited by lowlife9; 09-22-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

Sorry my mistake. It's not the bulb but the plug from the OEM bulb.Sorry for that. I bought mines from the store itself because I live near by. Thanks for that video it helps, that's the same plug my friend has but the HID Kit we have doesn't have that 3 prong socket looking thing to attach to the OEM plug, it has 2 prongs. So it might be the wrong HID Kit then. The 2001 Civic Coupe LX bulb size is HB2? But also a H4 if im correct? That must be the problem.
Old 09-23-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you need to build a wire harness anyway, but dont expect that ddm junk to last very long. something like this...

Name:  relaydiagram01gb.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  35.0 KB
Old 09-23-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Pictures of your HID kit would be nice

What it sounds like to me is that you have a H4 bulb but a H1/H7 Ballast harness

9003/HB2/H4 Bulbs r the same
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

Here's the picture of the HID Ballast and Bulb from DDM tuning. HB2/H4

Last edited by wannabulaklak; 09-23-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: wrong picture
Old 09-23-2010
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

That video will help this weekend. Thanks
Old 09-23-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that looks like a H7 Adapter

I can't see the bulb directly, but if it's single beam, then it should be correct

However, you want a 3 prong adapter for hi/low like this:
Name:  HID.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  36.9 KB

I'm sure you can hook it up anyways with those two wires
If you look at the 3 prong input on the car's harness

if u look at it straight on, it should look like
Name:  HID.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  16.9 KB

Ground wire should be the top LEFT
and low beam should be top RIGHT

As long as you plug your black wire into the left, and blue wire to right, it should work, you just wont have high beams

Last edited by Kennykid2002; 09-23-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

Yeah its a single beam.

So does that mean they gave me a wrong adapter? Yeah hopefully I can still connect the 2 prongs from the HID Kit to the 3 prong OEM connector. Also if it doesn't work what should I do then (speaking in worst case scenario). Do I return that Kit and ask for a new one? Or just ask for a new ballast? Thanks though Kennykid2002 for the help you really helped a lot and I appreciate the effort. I will let you know how it goes and if it works or not.

Thanks also to lowlife9 for the youtube video it helped me in a way, also it helped another fellow 7th gen driver haha.. lollygagger (funny name btw haha) and to gearbox for the harness diagram even though I may or may not use it.
Old 09-23-2010
Kenny the Ricer

No prob wanna

Actually, if it's a single beam bulb, they didnt give you the wrong adapter
It's exactly as it should be

Just plug the wires into the right place

Btw, i hope you didnt pay more than 20 bucks for a single beam kit
Old 09-24-2010
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Let me know how the install goes, as I am doing mine tomorrow (Saturday) morning. I'm always asking my friend a million questions to reassure me but he's had his for almost two years no issues. Also he said easy in! He owns a Lexus SC-400 that's tastefully done. Hope it goes in as easy as his did.
Old 09-25-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lollygagger
Hope it goes in as easy as his did.
That's what she-- n/m.. too easy..
Old 09-25-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
LOL...you had to go there

Lolly, let me know if you're confused about anything

Honestly, its about as easy as plugging in a fridge
You put the water hose with the water, and you put the power with the power....then turn it on
Old 09-25-2010
Person

Wow it was easy. Just need a place to stash the wires and ballast. Ideas???
Old 09-25-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

In the engine bay under the fender.. lip.. part..

I'll go snap some pics of where I have mine. I gotta snap some pics of a firewall rubber grommet anyways
Old 09-25-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Passenger's Side
Name:  IMG_1021.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  89.3 KB

Driver's Side
Name:  IMG_1019.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  102.5 KB

I guess some people will recommend putting them further back by the strut towers for heat purposes or something, but I've had ballasts (both the old thick ones and these new digital ones) there since summer '04 with zero problems.

Just use some 3m or loctite double sided tape to mount them
Old 09-25-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Double post much?
lol

You put them same place I do
Easy, simple, and clean

Name:  DSCF9557.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  129.4 KB

Name:  DSCF9558.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  144.6 KB
Old 09-25-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Gah damn site making me do that ****.. At least I delete my double posts..
Old 09-25-2010
Person

I dont think the wires allow for that to happen. Too short!!!
Old 09-25-2010
Kenny the Ricer

I dont think the wires allow for that to happen. Too short!!!
Really?
That's odd, most wires should at least be 5"
And thats plenty enough
Old 09-25-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I'm running a DDM 55w slim kit with their relay harness.. You shouldn't have a problem

I had to wrap up and zip tie wires because I had so much extra. I was thinking about physically shortening them if I got bored enough. That was after I hid most of the wires on my setup.
Old 09-25-2010
Person

I have the same kit. But the OEM harness on the car wont allow me to stretch it out there. Unless you guys got some trick, I'm out of ideas.
Old 09-25-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I guess I do have an extra 5" to play with due to the H4 to dual H1 harness I have.. But regardless, I have so much extra wiring.. Where do you have everything routed? Oh, and are you running a relay harness? That's where all my extra wiring came from, actually..

You should been doing this 5 years ago when I was stationed in Saratoga Springs.. I woulda been able to drive out and help you.. haha..
Old 09-25-2010
Person

Lol. Appreciate it nonetheless. No relay harness just ballast to harness. There really is nothing for me to move around! I could check but from how I was tugging on it before, there was no play.
Old 09-25-2010
Kenny the Ricer

My harness doesnt come out that far either, like half an inch or so, but your wiring should be able to reach, mine does

Name:  DSCF9560.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  100.0 KB
Name:  DSCF9562.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  85.0 KB
Old 09-26-2010
Person

Those are DDM's right? Mine just won't reach because its harness to ballast. No real play at all.
Old 09-26-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Looking at the DDM HID of the OP,
The wiring looks plenty long enough, same as most other HID's
Old 09-26-2010
Person

Well the problem with mine, and it's not really a big issue, is that the car's harness plug's directly into the ballast, not wire to wire. So however far the harness comes out it pretty much where the ballast is going. How did your's attach?
Old 09-26-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Well the problem with mine, and it's not really a big issue, is that the car's harness plug's directly into the ballast, not wire to wire. So however far the harness comes out it pretty much where the ballast is going. How did your's attach?
Hmmm, I've never seen that before
Maybe take a pix for us

As you can see from my pix, it goes
Ballast--Wire--Harness
Ballast--Wire--Bulb
Old 09-27-2010
Registered!!

Aright we'll I'm installing my friends HIDs today so here goes. Such an easing thing making me scared (shiver) O_O haha jk. I'll take some pictures and post them up later. BTW the set up might be a little different since the kit didn't come with 3M double sided tape, it came with zip ties O_O! makes me laugh haha. Hopefully I can find a good spot to mount them. Oh and Kenny they sold it to us for $35.. bad? rip off? So.. lollygagger how you like your HIDs?

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Hahah

Quick Reply: HID help please