7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

name that crazy rattling sound from front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.7lciviclx2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
name that crazy rattling sound from front suspension

Ok.. so my car has stock everything 2001 civic lx coupe 5spd 225,000 miles..
and about 15,000 miles ago there was a rattling sound coming from both the left and right side.. i thought ball joint.. so i replaced the lower control arm and ball joint on both front sides.. the sound was still there.. now im wondering if its the struts.. (when i hit a bump my car bounces a couple times, also there is no abnormal wearing of the tires) the sound is coming from under the whole front end.. so im thing either "stabilizer bar bushings" or "struts"

Does anybody know.. if you need to hear it, i can post a video on youtube.. let me know thanks
Old 09-19-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: name that crazy rattling sound from front suspension

tie rods can make clunking sounds if theyre loose. also if an endlink is broken for the stabilizer bar, it can hit the car when going over bumps.
Old 09-19-2010
Registered!!

1.7lciviclx2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just installed a Sway Bar repair kit from autozone on both sides... it didnt do anything.. Ill check the tie rods tonight
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

From what you've noted, it seems to me that you could definitely use some new front struts. I have been experiencing some issues, and also am considering new front struts. Steering wheel wobbles when my passenger side goes through a few pot holes one after another, or when i hit a pothole going 30+ mph. My car also fails the bump test miserably. I figure the struts are getting so week that they just lose control of the tire and shake vigorously from potholes. Any recommendations out there for some good oem replacement struts? I've heard good things about sensa trac.
Old 09-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

define rattling... for god's sake, none of the suspension stuff rattles...
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gearbox
tie rods can make clunking sounds if theyre loose. also if an endlink is broken for the stabilizer bar, it can hit the car when going over bumps.
I've got a clunking noise. Happens when i pull into driveways that are slight inclines, or occasionally when i turn corners. It only happens while im turning. I've been noticing the sound more and more often too. It's almost like a popping sound. I've replaced the stabilizer bar links, so rule that out. Does that sound like a tie rod end to you guys?

Last edited by MoreRicePlease; 09-23-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-23-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thats what mine did every time i would turn or jerk the wheel to one side while driving. tie rod almost fell off.
Old 09-24-2010
Registered!!

Damn, Looks like I'll bee doing some front end work here pretty soon
Old 09-24-2010
Registered!!

Hondaguy89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the engine heat shield and catalytic converter heat shield. If they are loose it can cause a terrible rattling noise.
Old 09-24-2010
Premium Member

x2. i took all mine off (except the very small cat shield) cause i got sick of the rattles even when i shut a door it would do it lol. the bolts get rusty and the metal pieces get too loose.
Old 09-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MoreRicePlease
From what you've noted, it seems to me that you could definitely use some new front struts. I have been experiencing some issues, and also am considering new front struts. Steering wheel wobbles when my passenger side goes through a few pot holes one after another, or when i hit a pothole going 30+ mph. My car also fails the bump test miserably. I figure the struts are getting so week that they just lose control of the tire and shake vigorously from potholes. Any recommendations out there for some good oem replacement struts? I've heard good things about sensa trac.
For god's sake do not use Monroe shocks, they are complete garbage. Get KYB's they are a little more but well worth it!
Old 09-24-2010
Premium Member

haha agreed. monroe is worse than stock
Old 09-24-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Hey, I just remembered a suspension part that was rattling in my car
Name:  DSC00017.jpg
Views: 2680
Size:  117.1 KB
Old 09-24-2010
Premium Member

too much auto-x? lol
Old 09-24-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

LOL!
don't think it came from autoX or track days, though. not sure why, but they got cracked like that and i replaced both fronts (easier than pressing in the bushings and cheaper). Now i have the left side as spare and can take it to someplace to press in bushings if i need.
Old 09-24-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
thats what mine did every time i would turn or jerk the wheel to one side while driving. tie rod almost fell off.
I jacked her up this morning, and took a good look at the tie rod ends, the bushings look to be in pretty good condition. I did however notice that both of the ball joints were showing some signs of wear. The bottom of the bushings had a small amount of grease on them. It didn't look serious. But i would like to solve the popping sound issue at least, hopefully before i swap out the front struts.
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

Anybody ever experience popping sounds that were the result of a bad ball joint(s)? I'm really trying to figure this one out on my own; don't want to take her to the shop!